• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Cable for my iMac

Reaction score
Greetings

First of all, please accept that I am a Luddite and that I live in the Dark Ages.....

I have steam-driven Canon XM2 video camera and an equally ancient mid 2011 iMac.

Hitherto, I been using a cable withe the mini dv connector on one end and Firewire 400 ( I think ) coupled to a small adapter with, I'm assuming Firewire 800 plug. It has now become loose and I spent quite a while figuring out why I couldn't import from the camera.

From my investigation it would appear that the adaptor is at fault (a bit wobbly in the socket), not the iMac (phew!).

MY problem (one of many associated with old age) is that I cannot interpret precisely what cable I need - i.e. whether it's a male to male or female to male connector.

Be gentle with me please. Anything suitable on Amazon UK? I would prefer to use a straightforward cable rather another adapter.

Thanks Mitch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, you could get a Mini DV to Firewire 800 cable.

Reaction score
Be gentle with me please. Anything suitable on Amazon UK? I would prefer to use a straightforward cable rather another adapter.

Well, seeing as you aren't exactly sure what sort of adapter cable you need, maybe it would be easier if I tell you where I go to get high-quality, reasonably priced adapter cables, and you can go there and look at the photos to match up what you have to find what you need.

MonoPrice

Triangle Cables
Triangle Cables

If you can't find what you need by perusing their Web sites, these folks are experts, you can contact them via e-mail and ask for their assistance and I'm sure that they will have some excellent advice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I also like Monoprice for all my cables, adapters, etc. However, since you're based in the UK, I do not know if Monoprice ships to the UK or for that matter if it would be worth it having to pay VAT.

Probably best for you to shop locally, perhaps Amazon, UK.

OP
Mitcherooney
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Unfortunately Monoprice and Triangle Cables are US companies and it isn't practical to get involved with them. I eventually ended up scouring the Amazon (UK) site for such a cable and going by the images, I think that I have picked the right one. I'll know in a few days....

Mitch

Reaction score
Unfortunately Monoprice and Triangle Cables are US companies...

Triangle Cables IS NOT a U.S. company. They are in Dubai:

Triangle Cables

Even when you are confronted with a U.S. company, and you live outside of the U.S., you may want to ask if the company in question manufactures their own products and if they are of the highest quality. If the answer to both questions is "yes", you may want to contact the company and ask if they have a distributor/vendor local to you.

The problem with throwing your hands up in the air and shopping on Amazon is that for a lot of computer related things, most of the products on Amazon are pure crap. For instance, I don't know how many times I've heard of folks having problems with cables, adapters, and inkjet cartridges purchased from Amazon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.