• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

buying a car

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
I think the tCs are so sweet. The sun roof is huge. That's my favorite of the Scions. I think the tC has a really classy look to it. You definitely look good rolling up anywhere in that...

My vote...GET IT!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I don't like scions. Something about the boxy appearance and all the hype over it rubs me the wrong way. IMHO, it looks like a clown car or one of those Japanese styled "city cars" for guys who sit at home watching "queer eye" while cooking weird food and shopping for clothes at obscure designer outlets nobody's ever heard of.

I'd recommend the VW, get an '03 or '04 that was a lease or program vehicle with maybe 20K miles on it. It's nicer and probably cheaper too! Heck, get a focus or something if u want economy. The Scion's 19/26 mpg isn't that impressive, my full size 1999 Taurus wagon does better than that!

Not to talk badly about Japanese cars either, Honda makes some pretty good ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It seems like a good car to me.

Reaction score
sevenhelmet said:
Something about the boxy appearance and all the hype over it rubs me the wrong way.

You are thinking of the xA and xB, those things are very ugly. The tC actually looks decent.

OP
macman88
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook g4 1.33, 768 ram
this is what i am talking about.

06-08-04-01-Scion-tC.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
macman88 said:

Ahhh... nifty. Well in that case...

It's nice to know they also make a decent looking car

:)

R

rgivans

macman88 said:

Looks exactly like a Pontiac G6.

G6_B.jpg

Reaction score
rgivans said:
Looks exactly like a Pontiac G6
Excuse me, and no offense, but these cars are FAR from "looking exactly alike."

1. Four door sedan v Two door tC

and [the most striking difference]

2. Pontiac v Toyota [the latter will last you about 500,000 more miles after that GM falls apart and the engine stops running :doctor: ]

You simply cannot beat the Toyota quality - hands down - there is no competition is regards to quality. I highly suggest you go tC. You will love the ride, comfort, power, and reliability.

Not only is the tC a little cheaper than the Jetta, I would not trust VW quality right now at all. They have been having many problems recently. Like I said nothing is going to come close to Toyota reliability.

As for stillimation's HP claims... go do the research for yourself...

The Jetta's base 2.5L inline 5 engine comes 150HP @ 5000RPM stock. This is of course, the base engine, with the top of the line engines comes a much higher price tag.

The Scion tC's base 2.4L inline 4 engine comes 160HP @ 6000RPM stock.

Although the Jetta's higher end engine is going to produce a little higher power, HP has got to be the most overrated thing on a car today. When people with very minute car knowledge discuss cars, they usually turn immediately to HP. HP is not everything, in fact it is far from it. For example, take a gander at the weight:

Jetta: 3285 lbs
tC: 2905 lbs

Not that any of this information is that crucial in comparing these cars, because someone looking for a new daily driver to transport them should be looking for reliability and a long lasting, good quality car. You find these qualities with Toyota. Go Scion tC, you will not be disappointed. Good luck and good day sir.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14in
yes everyone should have plasma screen pop out of the trunk ;)

my ex-girlfriend has a tc. it's a sweet little car. i really liked the large sunroof but i kinda felt cramped. for toyota's i definitely like the body styling over say the celica.

Reaction score
dude what was done to that jetta i bet costs about half the price of what was done to that tC, and yes VW is one of the most roomiest (well in the front seat) because the front seat can go all the way back. i am 6'4" and i fit like a dream where as all the other smaller cars there is no chance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Alright then:
Performance junki...

Reaction score
right now i am in a 01 VR6, stock it pushes 200HP and about 195 ft lbs, but i am about to get an 03 GLi turbo and it gets 318hp at 10Psi, i dont see why every one thinks VWs are slow, i have taken every civic that i have come across (evan the 3ast ones) in my stock VR6 (auto tranny) with no problem

Reaction score
People think they are slow because the highest model is only 200hp stock.

Street racing is worthless, you need to go to a track.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.