• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Buy Office 2004 for Mac, Get Office 2008 for Mac for Free

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
does anyone know if i could get office 2004 like at amazon.com and still qualify for the rebate, or just through the apple store?

i think you do. - as long as its a new one from amazon not second hand from a seller

Reaction score
Option 1 or Option 2 which one to get

OK so I bought Office 2004 today so I can get the $100 rebate. Now the "Super Suite Deal" redemption form for Office 2008 has two options:

Option 1: Office 2008 for Mac Special Media Edition (includes 1 license for business or personal use, also includes Exchange Server support, additional Automator Actions plus Microsoft Expression Media for Mac)

Option 2: Office 2008 for Mac Home & Student Edition (includes 3 licenses for home or non-commercial use only; does NOT include Exchange Server support or Automator Actions) + Microsoft Expression Media for Mac

Well I don't need Exchange so I'm leaning towards Option 2. But do I need the Automator Actions?

Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4/4/320/Leopard, 12" PowerBook G4 1.5/1.25/80/Tiger
Well I don't need Exchange so I'm leaning towards Option 2. But do I need the Automator Actions?

If in doubt, I'd get option 1. Option 2 only gets you 2 additional licenses, so unless you have a family full of computers it might not be that helpful to you.

You may find exchange server helpful if you ever get a job where you can/need to work from home. Pre-made Automator Actions might be helpful, but they are also easy to create yourself (or find free ones on the internet) should you need certain automated tasks.

--Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4 Ghz 17 inch
confused

If i get the Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition, will i still be able to get the 2008 Office?

Reaction score
I wonder if MS is going to put Activation on Office 2008. I was looking around and could find no mention of it. The Activation model for Vista is pretty jacked up. I think that would prevent me from upgrading to O2K8. Of course the Mac Business group does have a history of bucking Microsoft's Activation trends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33 ghz, 15 inch, 3gb ram.
What if I bought office 2004 1-2 years ago, will I still be able to do the upgrade?

Reaction score
Don't any of you students have deals through your college/university? My wife got Office for Mac for $7.99 through her campus store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook: 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 120GB Hard Drive, 2GB memory
If by April 15, 2007 you mean January 15, 2008?

Reaction score
I find the IT guys at college are a great source of free software, site licencing. "i need office to do my coursework" "My pc is broken can I have a copy of XP"
They just burn you a disc at mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I find the IT guys at college are a great source of free software, site licencing. "i need office to do my coursework" "My pc is broken can I have a copy of XP"
They just burn you a disc at mine.
Site licensing doesn't work that way. That's plain old-fashioned piracy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
You should really check out Office 2008.

It's a good piece of software

How good? cause 2004 was a joke beyond doing very very basic office work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Macbook white
I got the upgrade less the $10 shipping fee for free. I bought the software in August. Should hopefully ship soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G
doh :(

if i can get office, fully working like in windows and Netop Remote control in mac style, i dont need windows much anymore for work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I bought Office 2004 last month when I purchased my new iMac. I'm happy with it but have read the reviews of 2008 and it sounds like it's been improved. I mailed the upgrade coupon along with $6.99 and was told the new version will ship in mid January.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Just got my rebate check today. :D

Reaction score
Here's an interesting one:

Sent the required info in for the rebate. Received a letter today telling me that they didn't get the cover for my user manual and I have 15 days to send it in to get the rebate... problem is, I don't have the cover any more because I sent it in with the receipt and the rebate form...

Microsoft continues to amaze me..

(Sorry, Long time reader, first time poster, name's Scott :D )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I bought Office 2004 last month when I purchased my new iMac. I'm happy with it but have read the reviews of 2008 and it sounds like it's been improved. I mailed the upgrade coupon along with $6.99 and was told the new version will ship in mid January.

I purchased office 2008 and it has improved greatly over the 2004 edition.Allot more functionality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.