Bubble on the bottom

OP
L
Reaction score
LOL - I was thinking that when I typed it, and I can see you're on here a lot and know WAY more than I do about it all. :)

Whew, you had me scared. My husband was wondering if you might be right. Ok, the bubble is in the rubber but when they get the bottom back if they look at it and think heat caused it do you think they'll message me and let me know I should take it in?

Again I thank you all for your help! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Whew, you had me scared. My husband was wondering if you might be right. Ok, the bubble is in the rubber but when they get the bottom back if they look at it and think heat caused it do you think they'll message me and let me know I should take it in?

My understanding is this rubber separation on the bottom of MacBooks is fairly common...that's why Apple has this special repair program to replace the bottom case (for free, in warranty or not).

This rubber separation probably could have happened almost anywhere on the bottom (along the edges, on a corner, or in the middle like your's forming a bubble).

The main reasons why the theory of overheating came up was because the bubble looked like it was in the plastic not just the rubber coating (how else could plastic melt like that if that's what it was)...and because of the bubbles location (near the cpu or gpu).

But since the bubble was only in the rubber...those heat theories or assumptions were most likely wrong. The rubber separation is probably just due to a bad design on Apple's part, bad materials, something got messed up during manufacturing, etc.

"Don't Worry...Be Happy!":)

- Nick

Reaction score
Same Issue

I wanted to thank everyone for this post! I had my computer bottom facing upwards while charging. I usually do this so the computer doesn't overheat. 5 minutes later I looked at the computer and saw a bubble forming at the side of my computer at the bottom right hand corner or near the left hand while you're typing. I'm comfortable with repairing it myself and I ordered the bottom piece. I'll update you on what the outcome is. Hopefully the piece comes ASAP!

Thanks again for all your comments and suggestions! I really appreciate it, if it wasn't for you guys I'd probably be paying for the repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's

Working for a service provider, I see this a fair bit. In most cases the rubber separates from the metal around the edges, but it can also separate in the middle causing a bubble.

Other cosmetic issues Apple will cover are vertical hairline cracks appearing at the rear of the display adjacent to the hinges, and a single hairline crack from the edge of the ethernet port. We have to photograph the cracks and upload to Apple, obviously if Apple viewed these cracks they would simply replaced the cracked parts as long as there were no signs of physical abuse. This only relates to the white unibody Macbook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.