Brave Browser Appearance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Mini 2018, Mojave OS
For some reason, all opening blank pages in Brave now have a ghastly prison grey appearance (sample patch attached). This has occurred since the latest update to Brave, Version 1.42.86. Chrome is okay, I don't use Safari.

I have checked, and tinkered with, Brave Prefs > Appearance, but no obvious avenue to revert to the plain white page prior to Brave's latest update.

The iMac 2012/Catalina has the same Brave grey appearance (since update), but the device is resolutely failing at startup; a Catalina reinstall is currently underway.

Thoughts and suggestions from other Brave users please.

Reaction score
Mini 2018, Mojave OS
For some reason, all opening blank pages in Brave now have a ghastly prison grey appearance

I use Brave, and I'd love to help, but I have no idea what an "opening blank page" is.

When I use Brave, and open it, or if I open a new tab, it is never blank. It is set to some homepage that I have chosen. In my case it is the search site Metager.org.

In Brave browser --> Brave menu --> Preferences --> Settings --> Get Started --> On Startup -->
Open a specific page or set of pages

Is the problem that you have "New Tab Page" set to "Blank Page"? If so, set it to something else.

In Brave browser --> Brave menu --> Preferences --> Settings --> New Tab Page --> New Tab Page Shows --> Homepage

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
In Brave browser --> Brave menu --> Preferences --> Settings --> Get Started --> On Startup -->
Open a specific page or set of pages
Is the problem that you have "New Tab Page" set to "Blank Page"? If so, set it to something else.

Step-by-step startup of Brave:
1. Get Started - On Startup > Open the New Tab page
2. Appearance - (no issues)
3. New Tab Page - New tab page shows Blank Page

Changing the new tab page to something else - I have tried your suggestion - is not really suited to my purposes.

Essentially, a blank page (my choice) should have nothing on it but the Bookmark Bar on top. Prior to the latest update, that page showed blank white. Now - and I have not changed Settings from the previous Brave version - I get the grey colour as explained earlier.

None of the other Settings have relevance to this particular appearance issue.

I should emphasise that once a bookmark is selected - Mac-Forums for example - everything appears normal, it’s only that blank page.

The same occurred on my iMac/Catalina/Brave, again after the update to Brave. Unfortunately - and I’m working on it, last toss of the dice - the iMac will not get past the startup progress bar, so I cannot confirm that the grey page is still the case.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, you are correct hughvane, this is exactly what happens on my MBP too. I suppose you have a reason to have a blank page for New Tab, mine is the Dashboard.
For that reason I was not aware there had been a change. So, not meaning to question your preferences but a grey blank page is till a blank page, is there some reason you prefer it to be white?
Anyway, checked my settings and no, there seems to be no way to alter the grey blank page for new tab.

Reaction score
Essentially, a blank page (my choice) should have nothing on it but the Bookmark Bar on top. Prior to the latest update, that page showed blank white. Now - and I have not changed Settings from the previous Brave version - I get the grey colour as explained earlier.

It must be the new standard setting, because when I set a new tab to open to a blank page, I get a grey page too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When I open a new Tab page in Brave, it's gray very briefly before my Dashboard loads up. I don't have time to tinker with it right now, but I'm guessing your tabs, by virtue of your settings, come up "blank" with no background images or cards enabled. If you don't like the gray (and i sure wouldn't like it either!), then I suggest doing something like turn on the background image option.

OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, it is some relief to learn that others can experience the same grey page. Nice to know it's not just me!

I've looked for ways to contact the writers of Brave to point out the grey page colour. Access is via Secure, Fast & Private Web Browser with Adblocker | Brave Browser
Contact requires signing up and leaving comments in a Topic section. I have done that, and will pass on any useful information received.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you join Brave Community and do a search for the to 4957644B-5C34-49FE-889C-442171B59D19.png pic you will find it has been covered, but not solved.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry about the insertion point, on my iPhone🤭

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
hughvane
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My guess - and only that - is that the writers of Brave, if they have taken note of the gripes, will include a white blank page in the next update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.