bootcamp restarts into question mark after partition

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Hey Rob, should've been clearer my MBA is the first model to come out, I guess the early 2008 model (wow has it really been that long). Only reason I'm trying to install Windows now is because my class requires us to use .Net and Visual Studio, ekh!

So this morning I made a trip down to the Genius Bar and installation with a Macbook Air External Superdrive went through without a hiccup. It would seem that Windows installation with a 3rd party external optical is not supported.

The guy at the Genius bar said it might be because the LG drive could not get the required power from the USB drive to work but I don't entirely trust that since I was able to do a fresh install of OS X using the LG drive and it had two USB connectors one dedicated for power that I plugged into a USB hub that was plugged into a wall socket. anyhow, whatever the reason for it not working without an Apple superdrive, looks like it doesn't.

Cheers,
J.

okay, well its good to know! glad you got it sorted.

OP
C
Reaction score
the genius bar did a reinstall a few months ago.

so i guess i am outta luck since you needa super drive to install windows7?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well he is talking about a previous generation of macbook air, and you have a 2010 macbook pro, which i have installed bootcamp on many times. you have a superdrive in your macbook. i dont really know what else to do other than what is in the support guide. :)

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so your superdrive is dead? I think your best bet is to get it repaired:

I don't believe you can install XP from an external CD or DVD drive. The reason is because OS X will not recognize the external USB DVD drive with an XP disk as a bootable device and refuse to boot from it. Your best bet is to either replace the defective internal drive or have it repaired.

Regards.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...5-install-xp-bootcamp-using-external-dvd.html

some people have gone around this by using reFit, but i have no experience in it. Im going to remind you again, back up before trying anything! :)

have a read of this:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/9136...with-boot-camp-without-an-external-dvd-drive/

OP
C
Reaction score
rob.. gave you rep for helping. i decided just to take out my caddy and put back my superdrive to install it.

i guess mac wont recognize the external drive to boot up the disk. placing my superdrive back worked.

i tried refit and it didnt work either. i got windows up and running.

thanks for all your help!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats alright, glad you got it sorted :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.