Boot Camp Vulnerable?

Reaction score
and right now bootcamp DOES NOT suport vista at all. [snip] nothing worked beecause of drivers and other things.

This is not true.

Search Google for "vistaonmac" and that will provide step by step instructions on unpacking the drivers from the Boot Camp Assistant-created driver CD.

I have Vista running on my 2.0 CD Macbook Pro and it works fine. The only thing I have issues with is my trackpad.

-Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I too have a question regarding bootcamp. I hope you don't mind that I ask in your thread Messina.

I want to know if you have to boot up Windows, or if you can run Windows and switch back and forward instantly.

If you run windows in Parallels you can switch back and forth. Parallels lets you run windows like any other application. You can also use a program that lets you have different desktops so you can run parallels full screen on one, and switch back and forth. This is slow though.

With bootcamp you boot the computer up with either OS and use just that one. Hope this helps

Reaction score
okay, i understand. thank-u very much for the quick responce.
With leopard, i heard that it already comes with boot camp. does that mean it already has the windows (either xp or vista already installed on it) and can u run it simultaneously with mac os x leopard?

The answer is NO... boot camp is an apple program that lets you run windows by dual booting, not at the same time like you can with Parallels. Boot camp is suposed to be built into the next Apple os, but you will still have to purchase a copy of windows from M$ and install it yourself.

Reaction score
I too have a question regarding bootcamp. I hope you don't mind that I ask in your thread Messina.

I want to know if you have to boot up Windows, or if you can run Windows and switch back and forward instantly.

Depends on which way you go. With boot camp you have to actually boot up in windows only, no access to os X.

With Parallels you can have both OS X and Windows running at the same time and just move back and forth between them.

Reaction score
If I use Safari or just have the iMac on most of the time with the internet connected, do I need a firewall or anti-spyware products? Because it can't really be hack proof...can it?

OS X has a built in firewall that should be all you really need at this time. Maybe later more will be needed.

Reaction score
and right now bootcamp DOES NOT suport vista at all. i have seen vista ran via bootcamp once and it was nasty nothing worked beecause of drivers and other things.

That is a problem pc users buying vista are running into, it isn't just Mac users having the problem.

Reaction score
not really. although they way i wrote it, it does seem like that. I want an iMac, because its totally different to a PC. Everything about it seems head and shoulders above a windows based PC. Boot Camp is something that is also helping me go towards a iMac, as I may have applications that don't run on MAC OS X i'll need to use boot camp. But i'm not rushing out to get an iMac because Leopard can be released any moment. Or can be released next year. I just want to see how its new operating system, well, operates lol.

I want to see if there are any flaws, but i doubt as many as vista had.

So waiting...:blind:

Well of course there will be flaws...every operating system ever made has had them, that is what service packs and updates are for.

Reaction score
A program such as Parallels, that runs Windows under a virtual environment — meaning Windows would run more slowly than if it were booted up directly using Boot Camp — allows both systems to be run at the same time; you could drag files directly from one OS to the other. Parallels is working to speed things up, and each release is faster than the previous one, apparently.

Microsoft has upped the ante with Vista's licensing. Only the premium editions allow virtualization. With the less-expensive home-type editions, you could run Vista legally on a Mac only with Boot Camp.

Parallels may run a tad slower than boot camp, but not by much. My windows programs under Parallels actually run faster on my Mac Pro than they do on my windows computer.

And as for Parallels development your right, they have done a great job as each update has fixed and added new functions and today it is doing a great job of running standard windows programs. Hopefully one of these days they will get the graphics problems worked out so that 3d windows games will also run.

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
Parallels may run a tad slower than boot camp, but not by much. My windows programs under Parallels actually run faster on my Mac Pro than they do on my windows computer.

And as for Parallels development your right, they have done a great job as each update has fixed and added new functions and today it is doing a great job of running standard windows programs. Hopefully one of these days they will get the graphics problems worked out so that *3d windows games will also run.

So personally what do you think is better? Boot Camp or Parallels.

*3d windows games will also run... So they don't run perfect? What about boot camp then?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo

*3d windows games will also run... So they don't run perfect? What about boot camp then?

I was just told that the new version of parallels lets you install windows with bootcamp and then run windows through parallels or bootcamp from the same installation (so you dont have to install windows twice to be able to choose how to run it)

Reaction score

For myself i like Parallels better. It does what i want it to do and it does it well and i don't have to boot only to windows. The interaction between windows and os x is very good and if you use the coherence mode you notice little difference between the two os's.

No, at least for me the 3d games do not work under Parallels... i am talking about games like Medal Of Honor, Call of Duty, Brothers in Arms...etc. I can get them to install, but they won't run... at least the last time i tried they didn't. Maybe the next update and they will.

Boot camp works very well for most people and i understand that the games do work there for most. I simply prefer not booting to only windows, if i want to do that i will do it on a windows machine.

Reaction score
I was just told that the new version of parallels lets you install windows with bootcamp and then run windows through parallels or bootcamp from the same installation (so you dont have to install windows twice to be able to choose how to run it)

This is true, you can run Parallels from the same windows that boot camp uses. Just remember though that the same thing applys, when in Parallels you are virtural and what doesn't work in just regular Parallels still won't work, where as if your in boot camp, you are actually booted into windows so the only advantage is you may run either one off of just one install of windows.

And if your running a regular version of Vista and switch to Parallels, you will be in violation of M$ eula... there is someone out there who cares i guess...

OP
Messina_Tifoso
Reaction score
if someone was to go on a warez site using safari as the browser, dus the mac get infected with spyware or viruses present on the warez site? like windows dus.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
if someone was to go on a warez site using safari as the browser, dus the mac get infected with spyware or viruses present on the warez site? like windows dus.
Its simple, really. And this has been answered already for you, but....
If and when you run Windows, you are susceptible to all the woes and dangers of using Windows.
Those things that only damage and infect Windows will in NO WAY affect your Mac OS. Running Windows means you will be running it like you always have in the past and you are going to be vulnerable to any and all maladies that you were vulnerable to in the past...while running Windows.
Windows is still separate from Mac and vice versa.
I am not sure how much clearer we can make that for you.:black:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.