Bluetooth sound problems after Monterey upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all,
Since I upgraded to Monterey my bluetooth no longer connects as before. I now have to go the sound and/or bluetooth preferences and click this and that, I don't even know. At present I am connected but now I can't adjust the volume from the speaker icon on the top line. Any ideas anybody?

with thanks

Daibhin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There was an update to Monterey recently which corrected BT problems and security. The current version of Monterey is 12.2.1.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, that's the version I downloaded.
What good did it do me to download Monterey? I have to mess with preferences every time i want to turn on my speaker. Now I find that 'Audacity' will not initialise as it did before. Is it possible to undo and go back to Catalina?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You might want to reset the SMC/PRAM on your Mac and see if that change anything.

I'm on a Mac Mini at Monterey 12.2.1 and use BT headphones, keyboard and mouse and have had no issues with my BT headphones. It connects everytime I turn it on and controls volume/playback through either the buttons on the headphones or in the menu bar.

You might also want to try to unpairing your BT devices, repairing and see if that changes anything.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You might also want to try to unpairing your BT devices, repairing and see if that changes anything.

Yes absolutely. I had BT problems in the past and the easiest solution was unpairing the devices, then give them a different name if you can.

For example (as my name is Ian), my Mouse was "Ian's Mouse" same for Keyboard etc. I changed the name to "Ian's other Mouse" and then paired them. No problem since.

In answer to your question:

Is it possible to undo and go back to Catalina?

So complicated & cumbersome that for practical purposes - no, not really. NB I'm not saying impossible, but even attempting to do so is only for the desperate and skilled.

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
"Unpairing...repairing" If this means going to the Bluetooth preferences and Sound preferences and disconnecting and reconnecting, clicking everything at random basically: this is what I have to do every time. Unless this is some specific procedure which is unknown to me.
I have no idea what SMC/PRAM is or how to reset it.
Happy St. Patrick's day from Ireland!

Dave

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Do some searches on how to reset the SMC/PRAM on your Mac Mini then.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Try this link: How to Do an SMC and PRAM/NVRAM Reset on Your Mac

Scroll well down the list til you see: Reset the SMC on an iMac, Mac Mini, or Mac Pro

This link may help with resetting PRAM/NVRAM:

Ian

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks,
Turns out, all I had to do was: shut down, unplug power, replug power, restart!
Easy when you know how. Working again.
'Audacity' is another matter.

thanks and regards

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.