Blocking certain phone numbers

Reaction score
Try YouMail. Great service. I use the free account and there is a pro account that you pay for as well.

The free account allows you to add contacts, and ditch certain phone numbers. Meaning they can still call you but you let it go to YouMail voicemail. You can set up the voicemail to have custom greetings for individual numbers. What ditch means is when the greeting ends, the call is ditched and the person on the other line is not able to leave a voicemail. I have used a custom AT&T "This number is no longer in service" custom greeting for certain phone numbers that I know are junk calls.

The only drawback is you lose visual voicemail on the iPhone because all your incoming calls are forwarded to your YouMail account. But they keep your voicemails in your account and you can listen to them on the web or in the free YouMail app in the app store. I have been using it for about three years now and prefer it to visual voicemail. Just a suggestion.

Reaction score
Try this AND that...

Record 30 seconds of silence in Garage Band and make that your custom ringtone.... Might help for now.

Excellent idea! Here's an additional thing that I do for unwanted recurrent numbers: I create a new contact and name it "Spam" in company field. I assign it the "30 seconds of silence" ringtone (you can also use a specific ringtone for spam, like one that is very quiet or whatever). Anytime I get a call from an unwanted source, I just add it to my "Spam" contact. Viola! All those numbers just get added to that one simple contact and I never "hear" from them again!

Reaction score
slightly off topic but, I haven't had my iPhone 4 long, and I have noticed that some missed calls in the recent section, are shown as blocked. Does this mean the number is withheld by the caller?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
slightly off topic but, I haven't had my iPhone 4 long, and I have noticed that some missed calls in the recent section, are shown as blocked. Does this mean the number is withheld by the caller?

That is correct.

Reaction score
iPhone unwanted call blockage

I just bought a Verizon iPhone 4. I had previously owned a Palm. I had blocked a certain phone number through the spam controls on my Verizon account page. I started receiving calls again after I bought the iPhone. I went to my account page & found that the option to block calls was no longer there. The only option available was blocking unwanted e-mails. I called Verizon & was informed that the option was not available on the iPhone. I told him it should not be a function of the phone, but of the phone SERVICE. He agreed & said I'd have to contact Apple or download some 3rd Party app. I called Apple & was informed that there was no way to block unwanted calls on the iPhone. Are there apps available where I don't have to "jailbreak" the phone? I don't use the phone internet a lot. I am a contractor who cannot & will not use a client/employer's internet. I already have the number listed on the registry. I googled it & the number is reported as spam (some fake drug company) that calls & hangs up, which has been going on several times a day. I will try several of your recommendations here. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
I assign the contact as "DO NOT ANSWER", so when the number calls, I wont answer. Simple, but it works for me.

Reaction score
Spam calls

Thanks. I downloaded a silent ring tone, synced it to my iPhone, made up the contact "Spam" and assigned it the ringtone. Thanks for the suggestions. All this work. Verizon DOES offer a Call Blocking option, but not on this phone. Amazing, stupid crap.

Nancy

Reaction score
No wireless carrier has the ability to block individual numbers from calling you or texting you. You can either block all calls or texts or none at all

Actually you can on Verizon if you buy the parental controls package. Of course thats with a non-iPhone though.

Reaction score
Blocking calls

I was able to block calls on my Verizon Palm. That's how I noticed the problem with the iPhone to begin with. I've only owned it for a few days, and the number I had blocked started re-appearing. I went on-line to My Account-Spam Controls and saw that the block option was no longer there. There was a text block option still available, however.

Reaction score
The idea about the 30 second silent ring tone is a good one, but how do you stop the call going to voice mail?

Reaction score
blocking calls

Reference Savagehenry's solution: Make a contact named "unknown" as new contact. Plug in all the numbers that have been annoying you. Set the ringtone to your "silent clip" ringtone made in GarageBand. Voila! Lengthy workaround, but it works - and it's free! ;)

instead of a silent clip, how about using a fax-modem clip?

Reaction score
Mr. Number

Mr. Number is a fantastic app that I had on my Droid before I got the iPhone4s. I'm totally disappointed with the way it now works with the iPhone. It used to block numbers - either send them to voicemail or pick up and then disconnect the call immediately.

Now, it doesn't do much of anything. You have to pay per call to find out who they are. I used to get a popup notice saying "Suspected Spam." Then I could choose to answer it or block it. I wish I'd know that Apple doesn't allow Mr. Number to work the way it should. That plus no Swype would have kept me from getting the iPhone.

Very disappointing. :Angry:

Reaction score
Verizon blocking options

If you're a Verizon customer, log in to 'My Account'. Go to 'My Plan and Services', then 'Recommended Services', and click 'Verizon Safeguards'. There's a link for 'Call and Message Blocking'. You can block several numbers for 90 days. That's about long enough for them to lose interest in you.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Take posts on blocking cell phone calls with a grain of salt

We get a LOT of spam type postings on this forum that seem to be questions or comments, but are actually advertising.

This is my take away, others may disagree, but:

1) There is NO way to adequately block cell phone calls unless your Service Provider does it. Any APP that claims to do this is a SCAM

2) I would be highly skeptical of posts from members that their first, second or third post is to reccomend such an APP

3) This subject has been discussed Ad Nauseum. Search the Forums and you will see

HtH
Razormac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
We get a LOT of spam type postings on this forum that seem to be questions or comments, but are actually advertising.

This is my take away, others may disagree, but:

1) There is NO way to adequately block cell phone calls unless your Service Provider does it. Any APP that claims to do this is a SCAM

2) I would be highly skeptical of posts from members that their first, second or third post is to reccomend such an APP

3) This subject has been discussed Ad Nauseum. Search the Forums and you will see

HtH
Razormac
To repeat . . . and you will notice that most of the follow on posts to this thread are first posts from someone who signed up just to let us know about a "wonderful" APP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
If your iPhone is jail broke you can download a program called iBlacklist that allows you to block calls texts and iMessages from the numbers you want blocked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.