Bizarre icons on menu bar after OS update

Reaction score
New member, first question...I recently upgraded my 2019 27" iMac to Monterey 12.2. After a few days I noticed the menu bar had a series of identical repeating icons (See the attachment, although for some reason it is smaller than when I saved it)), at the moment there are 27 of them. When I hover the mouse over any of them the pop-up reads "there are updates available".

I think I've seen the icon before, but can't sure what it is. Clicking on them does nothing.

Any clue on how I can figure out what program is bonding these here and how to get rid of them?

Thanks!

Roscoe

(I can send the original attachment if required...it's much easier to read at full size)

Attachments

• What are these.png
    What are these.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 25

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

I couldn't help but notice that you are in TurboTax. Could the icons have something to do with TurboTax, perhaps updates to forms? Or do those icons remain when you are just displaying the Finder and no other application? And have you tried rebooting?

In any event, hold down your Command key and try dragging the icons from the top menu to the desktop and then drop them. They should disappear.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, the icon doesn't match Turbotax (but then I've been wrong before).

I tried the command-drag technique but it didn't do anything. The icon would disappear until I released the mouse button then the row of icons bounced back to where they were. I did notice that by changing what program that held the focus ad reducing the number of menu items that were in the upper left I discovered that a couple of key icons were being pushed under said menu items (when the list was longer).

This is very frustrating...is there a log or something that will tell me what's being thrown onto the menu bar?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you using any kind of top menu enhancing software that perhaps was a leftover from before you upgraded to Monterey?

Also, you might try starting up your iMac in safe mode to see if those small icons disappear. There may be something running in the background. Safe mode will only load Apple required files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's really hard to make out the details on those icons due to the low res of that screen cap. I do see you are running VMware Fusion. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that. When you run Windows in VMware using Unity mode, you do get more icons in the menubar. I just tried it and I get icons for items from the System Tray in my Windows VM. I think your icons are notifications for updates in your Windows VM... either Windows itself or apps that are installed in Windows.

OP
M
Reaction score
Actually...you're right. I closed VMWare and the icons went away. When I reopened VM in full screen I saw updates pending. I updated and all went away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.