• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Bitter! A tale of venting

Reaction score
You'll always feel that way if you're forever chasing technology. There is no getting ahead. The hot second you buy it, it's outdated pretty much.

Well said.

I'm in the same boat as this guy I just picked up a 13inch unibody 4 months ago. I was mad at first but know I'm fine. The new 13inch doesn't make my Macbook any less of a machine. It's still a great laptop.

So I'll just upgrade in two years, no need to buy something just because it's new.

Reaction score
I bought a decent iMac only to find that, a almost a month later, Apple had some cheaper with better specs than mine in the refurbished section. I was a little angry, but my mac has worked without any problems since I've pulled it out of the box. This kind of thing happens all the time.
You've got a mac that works great, which is what you wanted in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 Macbook White 2Ghz 2Gig RAM 120Gig HDD
I always approach technology by buying the best i can afford at the time I am buying. Things improve all the time so chances are you will be continually be disappointed every time they release something new.

Would you prefer that they stop releasing updates altogether?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I always approach technology by buying the best i can afford at the time I am buying. Things improve all the time so chances are you will be continually be disappointed every time they release something new.

Would you prefer that they stop releasing updates altogether?

Bingo. You buy the best machine you can possibly afford at the time you need it and you'll be just fine. Just because something newer is released makes your machine no less capable. Sure, it's a bitter pill to swallow that if you'd just waited you could have had better/faster/cheaper, but that's life - and even more so with technology.

This constant barrage of whining every time Apple releases a new product has grown tiresome. You can not possibly expect a company to just refund all of its recent customers and hand them the latest machines just out of good will. Apple is a company in business to make money. Sure, they have a track record of superior customer service, but they're not a charity either.

Reaction score
I got my 17in. about 4 months ago, I have no complaints, bigger HD , so what. Be thankful your not having problems. I couldn't be happier with my battery life or the raw speed this laptop gets things done. So far I get over 7 hours without even trying. Stop whining.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This constant barrage of whining every time Apple releases a new product has grown tiresome. You can not possibly expect a company to just refund all of its recent customers and hand them the latest machines just out of good will. Apple is a company in business to make money. Sure, they have a track record of superior customer service, but they're not a charity either.
Again, very well said. IMHO, there is this belief that Apple is somehow different from every other company but in reality, it's a corporation like all the others, trying to make money. There seems to be this "buddy" mentality with Apple that they should be our buddy (for lack of a better word) and help us out when they make changes. I don't see this with other companies.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Bingo. You buy the best machine you can possibly afford at the time you need it and you'll be just fine. Just because something newer is released makes your machine no less capable. Sure, it's a bitter pill to swallow that if you'd just waited you could have had better/faster/cheaper, but that's life - and even more so with technology.

Extremely tiresome.

Apple sells roughly 25,000 computers a day. How many thousand units should they replace everytime they upgrade hardware. The previous 50,000; 100,000; 250,000? It would take 500,000 units to replace just the previous 20 days worth of sales. Half a million - times what? - $1,500 average price - is $750 million dollars.

Any manufacturer in the habit of replacing 3/4 of a trillion dollars worth of product everytime they improve their product line would no longer be in business. You wouldn't have what you have now, because that company would not exist.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FWIW, if you're a hardware manufacturer and don't make frequent product improvements.. you go out of business. Period.

Thank god for new product, it brings in my paycheck! Oh, and no.. I don't work for Apple.

Reaction score
So is there something to this 30day thing?

Yes there is. Apple has agreed to exchange notebook purchased within this time frame.

If you bought a new car and the manufacturer came out with a new model with a few extra horsepower and a couple of styling tweaks just a few days later, would you feel slighted when the dealer refused to exchange your car?

Honestly, I don't think you have a leg to stand on. You buy the computer you need, when you need it and it will continue to fulfill those needs long after newer models are released.

Frankly, this is silly - you can be glad I'm not the person on the other end of that phone call.

When auto manufactures come out with new models, the public is informed well ahead of their release date so they can make an informed educated purchase. They can chose to buy the model soon to be outdated and an often lesser price, or wait for the new one.

Here Apple has decided to keep this top secret till the release date. BIG difference. Your analogy is totally MOOT.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
When auto manufactures come out with new models, the public is informed well ahead of their release date so they can make an informed educated purchase. They can chose to buy the model soon to be outdated and an often lesser price, or wait for the new one.

Here Apple has decided to keep this top secret till the release date. BIG difference. Your analogy is totally MOOT.

When was the last time you saw Dell, HP, Sony, and others notify the public in advance of their upcoming product updates?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Perhaps the analogy wasn't the best (irrelevant) but the point still stands. There is no reason to be perturbed about the changes a company decides to make. They can make changes to their product line at their own discretion without informing the public if that is their decision. We have no right, as individuals independent of the company, to make demands on their business practices.

Ultimately, if you don't like the way Apple does business, don't give it to them. If you continue to support their business practices, you are implicitly supporting their decisions about product releases.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Y

Lets keep it decent here folks.

Ultimately, if you don't like the way Apple does business, don't give it to them. If you continue to support their business practices, you are implicitly supporting their decisions about product releases.

I agree with you. If people feel Apple owes them every update they release and for free also, then move on. Go get a Dell, Acer. See how much they help you.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
When was the last time you saw Dell, HP, Sony, and others notify the public in advance of their upcoming product updates?

In advance? They don't even make announcements after their product updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
and try getting decent support from Dell.

go on, take a trip down to your local Dell sto.... oh yes, there isn't one to go to, so you're on your own.

i'm still waiting for IBM to upgrade my 386DX with 4Megs of RAM from 1993.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or how about an upgrade from Texas Instruments to my TI-99 from 1982.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or how about an upgrade from Texas Instruments to my TI-99 from 1982.

You had one of those too!

That was my first ever computer, fantastic machines :D

Still have mine in its original box with cartridges and voice module in the bottom of a cupboard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You had one of those too!

That was my first ever computer, fantastic machines :D

Still have mine in its original box with cartridges and voice module in the bottom of a cupboard.

Actually traded mine for a big over-stuffed chair (which I still have and been recovered once) when I got my Commodore 64.

Sure did love those text adventure games back then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Parsec was my game of choice.

I don't miss buying game magazines and then copying out the game code for hours. Though there was something satisfying about doing that. Of course if you made a finger error there were many hours of debugging. Taught me a lot about programming.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.