Big Sur too Big?

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
I'm a bit confused about your reference to the "Magic Keyboard"? That is a keyboard sold separately by Apple and has nothing to do with the new M1 MacBook Air.

Have you gone on to the Apple site and looked up the specs for the new M1 MacBook Air?
IMG_4377.JPG

This is from Apple's site, listed under MBA. I was surprised too!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Okay, now I understand. The keyboard you refer to is a newly designed keyboard with the older famous scissor mechanism that's reliable and dependable.

I don't think there is anything to worry about with this new M1 MacBook Air. The next model MacBook Air will likely be better but you're going to have to wait until the middle of next year for it.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, now I understand. The keyboard you refer to is a newly designed keyboard with the older famous scissor mechanism that's reliable and dependable.

I don't think there is anything to worry about with this new M1 MacBook Air. The next model MacBook Air will likely be better but you're going to have to wait until the middle of next year for it.

I've heard that scissor mechanism is awful, and I love the feel of the keyboard on my MBA. That's what concerns me about replacing it. I don't think this laptop is going to last until the next gen comes out though. Tough decision.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've heard that scissor mechanism is awful, and I love the feel of the keyboard on my MBA. That's what concerns me about replacing it. I don't think this laptop is going to last until the next gen comes out though. Tough decision.

You heard wrong. It is the "butterfly" mechanism that is awful and has given so many MacBook Air and MacBook Pro users trouble. As a matter of fact, the butterfly keyboards were so bad that Apple extended the warranty on them for free repair.

The "scissor" mechanism is the one that most Apple Notebook users love. Your MacBook Air 2013 model has a scissor mechanism keyboard. ;)

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You heard wrong. It is the "butterfly" mechanism that is awful and has given so many MacBook Air and MacBook Pro users trouble. As a matter of fact, the butterfly keyboards were so bad that Apple extended the warranty on them for free repair.

The "scissor" mechanism is the one that most Apple Notebook users love. Your MacBook Air 2013 model has a scissor mechanism keyboard. ;)

Once again, you folks have saved me. So thankful for all of you! I don't know how "butterfly" and "scissor" got mixed up, but I'm very pleased to know I can buy a new MBA without worrying about it. Thank you so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a great article you can read about both the butterfly and scissor keyboards, and why Apple has ditched using the butterfly model.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Best thing to do I think would be go to an Apple store and try it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Or even a Best Buy store (in the US), if you're just testing the keyboard.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all for your help! Got a new MBA, and I love it! Migration Assistant was a snap. Now just have to wipe the old laptop and return it to Apple for a credit towards the new one. You folks are just the best! Wish I could be as useful as y'all!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Congrats on the new gear. You'll be answering questions with the best of them in no time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.