Best Monitor to Connect Mac and PC

Reaction score
Here's the setup. I've had an iMac for eight years now (2013 model). Works fine but a little old. I like the size of the screen (27 inches), but I want to get a Mac Mini and hook that up to a bigger monitor.

The second factor - i started work last month where I work remotely at home most of the time. I can work remotely via Citrix on my Mac, but it's a little clunky. I also have a Dell laptop I can use. I previously used Citrix Workspace on that, but now they've switched to Microsoft Intune, and it runs so much better.

Bottom line - I want to use my Windows laptop for work, my Mac Mini for everything else, and hook both up to a wide/ultra-wide monitor.

Is there a monitor that has good inputs and is easy to switch back and forth between a Mac Mini and a PC laptop, and works well with peripherals?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

There are lots of good wide view large monitors that you can buy depending on your budget. Dell as an example makes some very good large high resolution monitors but at a premium price.

There is also Samsung and LG who sell large high resolution premium monitors. Again, at a premium price.

The problem you're going to have regardless of which monitor you choose, is switching back and forth between Windows 10/11 and macOS. Some things to consider: Are you able to use the same type of connection from your Mac and Dell to the new monitor. (for example HDMI) Are adjustments and settings. going to have to be made each time?

Are you going to use an A/B switch?

All high quality premium monitors generally have USB or Thunderbolt ports, speakers, HDMI, etc. You would need to look at each one and closely examine specs to see if it fits your needs.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I did this very thing, up until a few months ago with an older Win 10 machine, a 2015 iMac and an LG ultrwide monitor that has 2 HDMI ports and a Displaport connection. The iMac is connected to HDMI 1 (primary machine) and HDMI 2 is the Win 10 machine. This arrangement works very well for me.
1. When connected to input 1 the LG is a second monitor for the iµac and behaves as one would expect.
2. When connected to HDMI 2 the monitor shows raw Win 10 computer> I think its resolution is whatever Windows has been set to display.
3. Switching inputs on the monitor is as simple as using a four way rocker switch on the monitor. That switch is used to scroll through a variety of settings. It works nicely but I would prefer to have the switch up front instead of underneath. That's just my preference YMMV.
4. I wish I had chosen a monitor with the same aspect ratio as my iMac. The difference in screen ratios was a bit distracting at first.

I have had mine for two years with no complaints. LG 29WK600-W 29" UltraWide 21:9 WFHD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I have a 24" Samsung, that I use with my Mac Mini and a win 10 laptop occasionally and I can select the different inputs using the controls.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might find this article helpful. With no new Apple monitors, here are the best high-res screens for your Mac (outdated link removed)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini M1 3 monitors
I have 3 Asus 28" 4K monitors displaying Windows and Big Sur. Windows can run on 2 of the monitors, and I can get all 3 monitors running from the Mini M1. I toggle between the Windows and Mac machines using each monitor's hardware joystick, located just behind the bottom right of each monitor. Both Windows and OSX "see" all the monitors and don't lose connection to the monitors when I switch the input from HDMI to DisplayPort. As I've mentioned, the M1 machines like to drive just one HDMI monitor, with any extra monitors being on DisplayPort. I use a Logitech keyboard that can toggle between Windows and Mac, and use separate mice/trackballs for Windows and Mac. I have a mouse that will connect to both computers but I use customized buttons for Windows gaming and photo editing. The Asus VP28UQG monitors are not expensive. :) https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vp28uqg-28-led-4k-uhd-monitor-hdmi-black/6120908.p?skuId=6120908

Reaction score
...I want to get a Mac Mini and hook that up to a bigger monitor.

Here is a reprise of a older post. (I would have just linked to it, but I can't find it anymore.)

How about a humongous computer monitor with an amazing picture for a very reasonable price?

Here’s the background. My son is a programmer. He wanted a new monitor that could easily show four full size pages at the same time with a bit of desktop left to work with. He noticed that in the $200 to $300 range that 4K UHD televisions (he was looking for something in the 42-inch range) could now be had for about $300! Televisions used to not have the refresh rate to keep up with the better animated video games, or the best resolution, but now they do, especially televisions from Samsung and LG. A television is now way less expensive than an equivalent size dedicated computer monitor. We can only assume that this is due to economies of scale. (Samsung sells way more televisions than computer monitors.)

The thing is that this might not be right for you. If you go smaller than 42-inches, you aren't going to find 4K monitors. If you go bigger than 42-inches, the screen is going to have the same resolution, but it is going to be spread over a larger area, making things less crisp. So a 42-inch 4K television is ideal for application as a computer monitor. But...a 42-inch monitor may be too big for many people to sit close to and look at comfortably. Or it may be too big for your workspace. Also note that NOT ALL 4K 42-inch monitors have the specs to work well as computer monitors.

We looked at all the Samsung and LG models, and we decided that while QLED and OLED models looked a bit better, they weren't so much better that they justified the additional substantial cost. In fact, they may be a bit over-saturated for use as a computer monitor. We identified a couple of television models that had the specifications necessary, and which looked good when we auditioned them.

So, this is what my son got, for only $300:

Samsung - 43" Class - LED - 6 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR
$300
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsun...rt-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6373061.p?skuId=6373061

It's a breathtaking monitor at an amazing price, if you don't mind that it is REALLY BIG! It also makes a really good television, of course. My son uses it with his MacBook Air.

It is also stunning that for the price this thing includes Wi-Fi, upscaling, and powered stereo speakers.

One note, if you have a recent Mac, you will likely need an adapter to go from your Mac's Thunderbolt port to the monitor's HDMI port, and *this is critical*, your HDMI cable must be HDMI 2.0 compliant or better, and your USB-C adapter must support Thunderbolt.

This adapter has worked well for Mac users:
Anker USB C to HDMI Adapter (4K@60Hz), PowerExpand+ Aluminum Portable USB C Adapter, for MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad Pro, Pixelbook, XPS, Galaxy, and More (Compatible with Thunderbolt 3 ports)
$17
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07THJGZ9Z/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Please let us know if you decide on a television as a monitor, and how you like it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My son is a programmer. He wanted a new monitor that could easily show four full size pages at the same time with a bit of desktop left to work with. He noticed that in the $200 to $300 range that 4K UHD televisions (he was looking for something in the 42-inch range) could now be had for about $300!

That's a pretty creative solution Randy...of course as you said...42" is pretty large for desktop use for most folks...but for $300...I'd be willing to give it a shot.:)

Looks like the refresh rate on this TV is 60Hz (with some sort of "Motion Rate 120" technology). Maybe not the best for gaming...but for static stuff (MS Office work, programming/coding work) & less demanding gaming...seems like it would be just fine.:)

Two questions:

1. If you go into System Preferences > Displays...what sort of resolution choices are there? Just one choice (the native resolution of the TV)...or do you get other choices?
2. How crisp/sharp is the text?

Thanks,

Nick

Reaction score
That's a pretty creative solution Randy...of course as you said...42" is pretty large for desktop use for most folks...but for $300...I'd be willing to give it a shot.:)

One of my attorney users liked it so much that he purchaed three of these televisions!

Two questions:

1. If you go into System Preferences > Displays...what sort of resolution choices are there? Just one choice (the native resolution of the TV)...or do you get other choices?

I have no idea, my son's computer isn't here with me to check or to ask him.

Sharp enough that my son decided to go with this setup for his programming job, which is almost entirely pages and pages of text.

Whenever I visit my son and see this monitor working, I am extremely impressed. He can get so much done without constantly having to shuffle windows. The display is stunning, like any 4K Samsung television.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The 4K part is definitely the key parameter here with the 42" TV solution. If someone were to get a 42" 1080p TV by accident...they would not be happy.;)

And like Randy said...need that HDMI 2.0 video cable!

Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wanted to mention this 4K 42" monitor idea could/would be a KILLER solution for M1 Mac-Mini's that only support 2 monitors out of the box.

I have 3 monitors currently...and wanted to get a M1 Mac-Mini...but I'd only be able to attach 2 of them (without doing some of the "tricks"found on the internet to do more than 2).

M1 Mac-Mini natively supports 2 displays (one 6K and one 4K)...thus there would be no problem running a 4K 42" TV!:)

Nick

Reaction score

I asked my son about that last night. He says that text scales up beautifully on the monitor.

In fact, he pointed out that he had attached his MBA to my 1080p 48-inch television previously and that I had seen it, and that the text was sharp even on that monitor. And I had to agree.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome. Thanks for checking Randy!:)

Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.