Best MAC repair option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 MacBook Pro 13 500SSD 16GB Catalina
Best MAC repair option please. (I think it's battery)

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Surely you aren't expecting any real answer for a question with such a lack of detail.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Best MAC repair option please. (I think it's battery)

As Raz0rEdge mentioned....your initial post is too vague.

For starters...you need to specify if you-yourself are willing to do the work (DIY)...or if you absolutely need a professional to do it.

Obviously doing it yourself would cost the least amount of money (BEST)...but having it done professionally might be the BEST if you can't do it yourself.

These are just a couple possibilities that could answer the "BEST" question. And if there are a COUPLE possibilities...then the BEST option does NOT always have one-answer (without more info).:)

- Nick

p.s. You also didn't specify what computer model this is. Both portable & desktop computers have batteries. And if it's a portable/laptop computer...depending on the model...battery replacement can be very easy...or very complex!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
A good shop near you.

If you want something more specific, be more specific.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@toldforthis

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. And thank you for your post.

I totally understand your frustration. No one here is in a particular mood. The only "mood" we have is to help.

Now, if we were sitting next to you and observed your every move, we'd be on the job immediately.

So, please be patient and, in your mind, assume we are sitting next to you:

Please tell us what Mac you have; model (MacBook, MackBook Pro, iMac etc), the year it was released (not the same as the year you bought it); the Operating System you currently run; the amount of RAM; the size of your storage and the amount of free space still available to use.

All of that info can be accessed via Apple icon ( ) > about this Mac.

Then tell us what went wrong. It's tedious and a bore, but that's how we help people. Why do think it's the battery?

Be patient with us and help will be on its way. That's what we are here for. We are all volunteers who want to assist other Mac users.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Yes I am, but not from you, in your present mood.

Gee, I guess it's a good thing then that I didn't reply earlier. My reply would've been much more caustic. ?

Have you actually read your original post here, and what would your reply have been???

As others have mentioned, you need to give a description of the problem and include the Mac model and OS being used, memory amount and hard drive size etc.

- Patrick
=======

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@toldforthis

A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. And thank you for your post.

I totally understand your frustration. No one here is in a particular mood. The only "mood" we have is to help.

Now, if we were sitting next to you and observed your every move, we'd be on the job immediately.

So, please be patient and, in your mind, assume we are sitting next to you:

Please tell us what Mac you have; model (MacBook, MackBook Pro, iMac etc), the year it was released (not the same as the year you bought it); the Operating System you currently run; the amount of RAM; the size of your storage and the amount of free space still available to use.

All of that info can be accessed via Apple icon ( ) > about this Mac.

Then tell us what went wrong. It's tedious and a bore, but that's how we help people. Why do think it's the battery?

Be patient with us and help will be on its way. That's what we are here for. We are all volunteers who want to assist other Mac users.

Ian
Thanks Ian, I'll try to spell out my prob. (I bought it new in 2019).
My Mac Pro: 250 SSD 8 RAM, running Big Sour, and it showed 2017 for the OS, Free space about 225. How did it die, well it just shut off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few more questions, please.

1. Mac Pro or MacBook Pro? There is a big difference.
2. What does "it showed 2017 for the OS" mean? I'm confused by that as no macOS has a version of 2017 and Apple doesn't refer to versions by year at all. Did you maybe mean it was a 2017 Mac?
3. What screen size? That will help us with knowing what machine it could be.
4. What happens when you try to power it on? Any sounds? Any screen changes, even if very subtle? Fans run?
5. If it's a MacBook Pro, what happens when you attach the power cable? Anything?
6. What were you doing when it shut off? What did it do just before it shut off? Any messages, changes on the screen?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A few more questions, please.

1. Mac Pro or MacBook Pro? There is a big difference.
2. What does "it showed 2017 for the OS" mean? I'm confused by that as no macOS has a version of 2017 and Apple doesn't refer to versions by year at all. Did you maybe mean it was a 2017 Mac?
3. What screen size? That will help us with knowing what machine it could be.
4. What happens when you try to power it on? Any sounds? Any screen changes, even if very subtle? Fans run?
5. If it's a MacBook Pro, what happens when you attach the power cable? Anything?
6. What were you doing when it shut off? What did it do just before it shut off? Any messages, changes on the screen?
Hello Jake, This is the best I can do:
1/ MacBook Pro. 2/ If what you say is true, It must have been a 2017 Mac.
3/ 13 inch. 4/ No sound at all. 5/ Nothing. 6/ Nothing.
D.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have AppleCare+ on the machine? You said you bought it new in 2019, so the one year warranty has expired. If you have AppleCare+, you can call Apple and get them to repair it for you. They work quickly. Barring that, if you are in the US, Best Buy is an authorized repair agent, in addition to Apple. So whichever is closer would be where I would take it. If it died suddenly, no notice, no warnings, then it most likely is either the power circuits or a catastrophic failure of the logic board, both of which are major repairs that are best done by Apple or BB.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have AppleCare+ on the machine? You said you bought it new in 2019, so the one year warranty has expired. If you have AppleCare+, you can call Apple and get them to repair it for you. They work quickly. Barring that, if you are in the US, Best Buy is an authorized repair agent, in addition to Apple. So whichever is closer would be where I would take it. If it died suddenly, no notice, no warnings, then it most likely is either the power circuits or a catastrophic failure of the logic board, both of which are major repairs that are best done by Apple or BB.
Thank you, Jake, [END]
D.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.