Benq Monitor

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
Bought myself a Benq 24" GW(2485TC) monitor just before Christmas, which is now connected via HDMI. One of the functions is that after 10, 20 or 30 minutes in standby the monitor will auto power off, handy for those times when you are going to return in "5 minutes" and is in fan hours later.
So why am I telling you this, well the 20 and 30 min auto shut off does not work, so contact Benq, and originally they informed me the monitor must be faulty, as their engineers could not replicate the fault, I suggested that it needed to be tested against Mini M1, as standby/sleep is different to Microsoft PCs. Today they got back to me and reported, and this is a quote from the email:

"I have just received update from our engineers.
They have managed to reproduce the same issue you are encountering with the same setup in our lab.

The cause is confirmed to be Mac device sending signal to the monitor even in stand-by mode.

Currently we are still trying to identify the signal in question, but have not yet complete the investigation."

I will keep you informed of the progress.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Very interesting. Really great they were able to replicate the issue. So many times the company/manufacture cannot replicate the issue...and then they probably just figure the issue is due to a "flakey user". Lol

Nick

Reaction score
Bought myself a Benq 24" GW(2485TC) monitor...One of the functions is that after 10, 20 or 30 minutes in standby the monitor will auto power off... the 20 and 30 min auto shut off does not work

Why not just use the identical feature built into the Mac OS?

You will find it in System Preferences --> Energy Saver (or Battery)

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why not just use the identical feature built into the Mac OS?

You will find it in System Preferences --> Energy Saver (or Battery)
Can't find anything in Energy Saver that turn the power off on the monitor this is all I have:

1705044604292.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jim B.

I wonder if this is more suitable for making your choices in addition to what you posted?

S1.jpg

Ian

OP
Jimmysb
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jim B.

I wonder if this is more suitable for making your choices in addition to what you posted?

View attachment 39144

Ian
Ian, my Mini M1 is set to standby, and though it shuts of power to the display, does not turn off the display.

Minis do not have batteries, so energy saver is different, however do any turn of the monitor power, not standby, but totally power down the monitor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.