battery drain

Reaction score
MacBook Air mac OS 10.15.7 ... see attached pic. several years ago this happened and I purchased 'new battery'back then ... I have 2 separate adapters, both give me GREEN lite but battery is NOT CHARGING ???
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 13.39.50.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Grab a copy of CoconutBattery and see what it says about the battery. If the health is bad, that might explain why it isn't charging. Does the machine shutdown if you unplug the power adapter?

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
Grab a copy of CoconutBattery and see what it says about the battery. If the health is bad, that might explain why it isn't charging. Does the machine shutdown if you unplug the power adapter?

yes, immediate shut down laptop when I 'detach' charger ... and I have TWO separate charger plugs and I went to different wall socket ... all to no avail

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
yes, immediate shut down laptop when I 'detach' charger ... and I have TWO separate charger plugs and I went to different wall socket ... all to no avail

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 14.54.10.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 14.54.10.png
    51.8 KB · Views: 46

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And what did the CoconutBattery app show? It's invaluable for identifying battery problems - and it's free.

Ian

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
charging with 0 watts ????

Attachments

51.8 KB · Views: 28

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As I understand it, this means that your battery is not being charged. I'd suggest you check the cable and, should you have one, change the charger plug and cable.

Ian

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
As I understand it, this means that your battery is not being charged. I'd suggest you check the cable and, should you have one, change the charger plug and cable.

Ian
immediate shut down of laptop when I 'detach' charger ... and I have TWO separate charger plugs and I went to different wall socket ... all to no avail

Attachments

51.8 KB · Views: 26
OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
immediate shut down of laptop when I 'detach' charger ... and I have TWO separate charger plugs and I went to different wall socket ... all to no avail
Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 15.21.50.png now what ??? ... don't know what direction to go / turn to ??? because I'm showing 0 watts being used to charge my laptop ...

Attachments

51.8 KB · Views: 35

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Interestingly, there is a 91% charge on the battery apparently, so it shouldn't immediately shutdown if that number is to be believed.

You've got quite a lot of cycles on the battery in 2 years, so my guess is that the numbers are incorrect and your battery might actually have failed.

Just for grins, you should do a SMC/PRAM reset to see if anything changes.

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
Interestingly, there is a 91% charge on the battery apparently, so it shouldn't immediately shutdown if that number is to be believed.

You've got quite a lot of cycles on the battery in 2 years, so my guess is that the numbers are incorrect and your battery might actually have failed.

Just for grins, you should do a SMC/PRAM reset to see if anything changes.
will try SMC/PRAM now ... thanks will reply shortly

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
will try SMC/PRAM now ... thanks will reply shortly
sooo, I SMC/PRAM and powered up ... my charge lite turned 'orange' ... way cool ... after a couple of minutes I go impatient and powered my rig up ... the charge lite turned green ... ouch ... so I'm gonna 'retry' SMC/PRAM and if and when the charger lite turns 'orange' i'll leave the computer alone for a couple of hours and then power up ... time will tell ... to be continued ...

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
sooo, I SMC/PRAM and powered up ... my charge lite turned 'orange' ... way cool ... after a couple of minutes I go impatient and powered my rig up ... the charge lite turned green ... ouch ... so I'm gonna 'retry' SMC/PRAM and if and when the charger lite turns 'orange' i'll leave the computer alone for a couple of hours and then power up ... time will tell ... to be continued ...
so I did SMC/PRAM again ... charger went ORANGE but NEVER charged ... ???

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You said you replaced the battery a few years ago, so two possibilities, the battery has failed again and needs to be replaced and/or the charging circuitry of your MBP has failed.

Assuming the machine is the one in your profile, it's an 8 year old machine, so you might want to decide if you want to spend more money on either replacing the battery to see if it's just that. If so, that might be fine, if the charging circuitry are failed, you'll have to replace the logicboard and that's not worth it on a machine that old.

OP
chitown_1
Reaction score
You said you replaced the battery a few years ago, so two possibilities, the battery has failed again and needs to be replaced and/or the charging circuitry of your MBP has failed.

Assuming the machine is the one in your profile, it's an 8 year old machine, so you might want to decide if you want to spend more money on either replacing the battery to see if it's just that. If so, that might be fine, if the charging circuitry are failed, you'll have to replace the logicboard and that's not worth it on a machine that old.

One and ALL ... THANK YOU ALL for your 'eyes' and suggestions ...

I remembered what I did several years ago ... I removed back of my MacBook Air (2012) and disconnected the battery ... I then rebooted and at the same time did the old ... Shift+Control+Option ... plugged the battery back in and BAMM ... all was good ... yes I did 'retire' my MacBook Air (2012) went to Best Buy and bought a Mac Pro 21.5 i5 Desk Top ... and now am transferring all on the 'old' to the NEW via Migration Assistant (Utilities) ... Again I say ... THANK YOU one and ALL ...

Attachments

• new_rig.jpg
    new_rig.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 27

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gosh. What a tidy desk. I really must do better. :rofl

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent, that's one way of getting rid of the battery problems, get rid of the battery entirely with a desktop. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.