Backup Data with External CD Player

Reaction score
I have an external cd player that I can download stuff onto a cd I would like to use it to back up my data (I don't want to back up to my hd) what is the procedure,
iMac 2023 M3 .

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can we assume this external CD player is a writeable/rewritable CD player...and not a CD player only?

Just curious...how come you want to do a backup in this manner? This was something folks did 20-25 years ago...but really isn't done as much nowadays. Probably due to cost of hard drives 20-25 years ago were a lot more expensive than individual CD disks at that time.

External hard drives or external SSD's have been the norm for backing up data for quite some time.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have an external cd player that I can download stuff onto a cd I would like to use it to back up my data (I don't want to back up to my hd) what is the procedure,
iMac 2023 M3 .
Hi Rayben - CD 'data burning' is a poor and archaic choice for a backup option - the capacity is just 700 MB (see below); of course, a DVD and/or BD burner would increase that amount substantially. At the least I would suggest a HDD of much greater capacity, e.g. 1 or 2 TB - these magnetic spinners are really cheap these days; more expensive are external SSDs but their prices have come down recently.

If you're planning to use Apple's free TM (Time Machine), then a SSD formatted as APFS is needed (HDDs are SLOW with APFS present). Also there are other apps, such as CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner) or SuperDuper that many members here also use. For myself, backing up an iMac and a new M2 MBAir, I'm using only SSDs now with TM and CCC (2 SSDs for each - just cannot trust one drive); also both machines are using online backup with Backblaze - just my 2 cents - others will likely 'chime in' with different suggestions and opinions. Dave

• A CD can store up to up 700 megabytes (MB) of data.
  • A single-layer DVD can hold 4.7 gigabytes (GB) of data, and a double-layer disk can hold 8.5 GB.
  • A single-layer Blu-ray disk can store 25 to 33.4 GB of data, and a quad-layer Blu-ray disk can store up to 128 GB of data. (Source)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
TLDR - Don't waste your time. Grab an external 1TB or 2TB SSD, connect to your Mac and either backup through Time Machine, CCC, SuperDuper or manually.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly. RW CD/DVD's are probably expensive these days and simply don't hold enough data. Unless, you are just saving a few select items eg. I'd need 21 CD's for my Photos library.:whistle:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Good choice. External hard drive way more convenient & flexible for backups.:)

Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
I am not well up with backing software up. I have taken all your advice and bought a ssd external hd , do I back up using migration.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Time Machine - built into macOS

Carbon Copy Cloner - paid software

SupeDuper! - paid software

CCC and SuperDuper create full backups that can be used to boot from an external drive in cases of failure of your internal drive. Time Machine, on the other hand, is purely a backup scheme where you can restore your data only but you can't boot from it.

So read upon the options and see what fits your needs.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Obviously Time Machine is built in, free to use and requires almost no setup. Both CCC and SD will cost you around AU$50.00 but both have obligation free, fully functional, 30 day trials.
I have both TM and CCC on seperate drives.
If you want simplicity and functionality with incremental backups and easy data Restore then TM may be your best choice.
You can always change your mind later.

OP
R
Reaction score
I clicked on the super duper icon and it gives you the option to buy or download a free version is there a negative in using the free version.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the website

SuperDuper! v3.8 right now and back up and clone your drives for free— forever!

Buy SuperDuper! to unlock scheduling, Smart Update (which saves a lot of time), Sandboxes, scripting and more!

So, start with the free version. If it does everything you want, you're done. If you want any of the additional features offered by the paid version, upgrade.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I didn't know SD had a free version. That's a pretty good option. I never use scheduling anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I didn't know SD had a free version. That's a pretty good option. I never use scheduling anyway.

I also have been a CCC user almost since its Inception, but for most "free" software, especially if it's good for how the person uses it, most Developers certainly appreciate receiving a decent small donation which also helps promote further development for all those users who use the software.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.