Backing up images not in Photos.

Reaction score
I have about 35GB of photos on my MacBook Air (Early 2015, Catalina 10.15.3).The images were originally from Picasa and are not in Photos. I understand that it would be a monumental task to convert them all over to Photos. I have used Time Machine to back up everything to a remote hard drive, but I would like to copy (back up) the images to a second hard drive keeping the file structure. Most of the research I have done discusses backing up images in Photos to another drive. Is there good discussion that I could tap into to do this? i.e., is it just drag and drop? I would appreciate a little help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The easiest way is to simply clone your internal hard drive to an external drive. That will give you a copy of all your photos and also acts as an excellent backup. We recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! Both apps can create a bootable clone.

And you really should update your version of Catalina to the latest (10.15.5). That update includes important security changes.

OP
A
Reaction score
If one was to use Carbon Copy Cloner, how to format a new Seagate external hard drive? I was told Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If it it a rotating hard drive, that is a good format. If its an SSD, then APFS would be better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Don’t forget to mark is as “ GUID Partition Table “ as well, otherwise MacOS won’t boot from that disk.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.