Back up hard drive.

Reaction score
My computer running Catalina 10.15.7 will not recognize my Seagate ext. H.D. I backed up my computer in November on my Seagate 1TB but today my Mac doesn't recognize it at all. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about when you go to Disk Utility, does it "see" the Seagate?

You also stated you backed up your computer in November to the Seagate, what did you use to make the backup? Time Machine?

OP
T
Reaction score
How about when you go to Disk Utility, does it "see" the Seagate?

You also stated you backed up your computer in November to the Seagate, what did you use to make the backup? Time Machine?
Thanks for your reply. Under disc utility there was no seagate found. I did use time machine for my Nov. backup

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's not good news if Disk Utility can not see the drive. How old is the drive?

There's a possibility that it may have failed. But before deciding that, attach the drive to another USB port and if possible, try using another cable to attach the drive.

If those do not work for the drive to be recognized, then like I said above, the drive may have failed.

Sometimes the hard drive itself is okay but the enclosure or the enclosure electronics have stopped working.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is it possible this drive is not powered by the USB port, but by some external power supply? I know, it's the first question tech support asks, but there is a reason for it.

OP
T
Reaction score
That's not good news if Disk Utility can not see the drive. How old is the drive?

There's a possibility that it may have failed. But before deciding that, attach the drive to another USB port and if possible, try using another cable to attach the drive.

If those do not work for the drive to be recognized, then like I said above, the drive may have failed.

Sometimes the hard drive itself is okay but the enclosure or the enclosure electronics have stopped working.
Thanks again. My suspicion is that the Seagate has failed. These days, with the prices so reasonable, it is probably best to just get a new unit.

krs

Reaction score
Exactly which model of Seagate is the drive?
I have had externals fail only to find out it wasn't the drive itself that failed but rather the USB-SATA bridge.
Took the drive out of the enclosure, installed it in a different enclosure and everything worked just fine.
One of the reasons I no longer use WD which used to be my "GoTo" drives.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@krs, I've done the same thing with LaCie, Seagate and WD drives. I'm beginning t think that more often than not a "drive failure" is really the interface failing.

krs

Reaction score
@krs, I've done the same thing with LaCie, Seagate and WD drives. I'm beginning t think that more often than not a "drive failure" is really the interface failing.
That has been my experience.
I can't even remember if I ever had an actual failure of the mechanical part, ie platters, head, motor.
The most recent one was a quite old 1.5TB 3.5-inch WD - turns out the board that is part of the drive to provide the SATA interface failed.
Luckily I had a second WD drive of exactly the same type - unplugged the board from that and the dead drive came back to life.
But unfortunately, buying a replacement board is around $US40.-, not really worthwhile considering I just bought a 2TB 2.5-inch USB 3.0 portable for $C 69.-
But at least I can easily get all my data off.

PS: Makes me a bit uneasy about the reliability of SSDs which are essentially all electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I had one recent failure of a drive. The heads got stuck to the disk by a force known as "stiction." I opened the drive case, tapped the heads gently and they retracted. I put the cover back on, attached the drive and made an immediate copy of everything on it, then erased and disposed of the drive. So physical drives DO fail, but most of the time it's the electronics.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Took the drive out of the enclosure, installed it in a different enclosure and everything worked just fine.
One of the reasons I no longer use WD which used to be my "GoTo" drives.

I purchased a handy adapter from OWC some time ago that can be used in place of an enclosure so that you can extract the data from the drive.

It's really not worth it to place the drive in a new enclosure as USB 3 enclosures are rather expensive. At least for a good one. Besides if you have an AC powered drive enclosure that failed, about the only way is to use the OWC adapter or one like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have one of those, too, and use it the same way.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Just two questions; was the drive new or old? Did you erase it and format it before use and sorry this is three; did you upgrade or update your computer operating system since you last used the backup drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.