Awful connection to WiFi after upgrade to Yosemite. Coincidence?

OP
F
Reaction score
About this Mac: says "Retina Mid 2012" but I bought it April 2013.
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Yes, I believe Yosemite was the start of the rot.

(Now 10.10.5)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I can suggest upgrading to 10.10. 5 - which just came out. I don't think there is anything in the update that addresses wifi as that supposedly was fixed for everyone in 10.10.4 - but it can't hurt to download the 10.10.5 combo and let it install.

Also make sure in your System Preferences - > Network -> Advanced ->TCP/IP tab - that in the Configure IPv4 box "Using DHCP" is selected and Configure IPv6 is set to "Automatically" (Unless you are assigning IP addresses for some reason.) It won't affect range but it can't hurt.

You might try logging in under a different user to see if it occurs under different accounts. It is a long shot but for troubleshooting purposes it can't hurt to be sure it isn't some weird account issue.

My next idea would be a failing wifi card. By chance do you have apple care? And do you live close to an apple store? Apple stores will diagnose for free. If you don't have apple care, iFixit.com can show you how to replace your airport card.

Lisa

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks

I have checked the Settings and it's as you say, will try logging in under another name later and if it works, will report back here.

Plus, I can take it to a Mac Store when next I am in London I guess.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1. 2014 iMac 3.5Ghz 27" 3Tb Fusion, 32Gb, 2. 2011 17" Macbook Pro 2.4Gb i7 16Gb & 4Tb G-Raid
awful wifi connection under Yosemite and now El Capitan.

Ihave suffered from terrible wifi connection ever since I moved to Yosemite and now El Capitan, always keeping up to date with updates. Under all the lions and tigers and other assorted feline versions, everything was fine. And this is on a stationary iMac and Airport Time Capsule which have never been moved, even an inch. Have never found a solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.