authentication

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Following the keychain password change, the keychain and Admin passwords are the same.

I use a late 2014 Mad mini w/8 gb memory, Sierra 10.12.8.

Before all this was thinnknig about upgrading.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
It's getting late here, so I'm signing off.

Reset the keychain passsword, using the same one as before. Now, no password popups. So all may well. Will update tomorrow.

Again, thanks to all of you.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
It's getting late here, so I'm signing off.

I reset the keychain passsword, using the same one as before. Now, no password popups. So all may well. Will update tomorrow.

Again, thanks to all of you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I reset the keychain passsword, using the same one as before. Now, no password popups. So all may well. Will update tomorrow.

That's great to hear that things seem to be fixed and working properly. Let's hope they stay that way.

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
That's great to hear that things seem to be fixed and working properly. Let's hope they stay that way.

- Patrick
=======
Hear, Hear!

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
All is still not well.

Even after going to Keystone Access Preferences and clicking "Reset My Default Keychain" I still get popups for individual items. None will accept the new (or old) passwords.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Today my Mac started crashing a lot.

I wonder if there's some way I can install a brand new keychain, even if it meant a lot of typing passwords and such. Whereas last night all seemed well, today is much worse, especially with the many new popups and crashes.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, you can, here are a few options;

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Rod, what still nags me a bit is that when one follows your excellent link, you come to an instruction:

After resetting your Keychain, it says:

Enter the new PW to match your account’s (ie Admin) password.

As the OP lost his Admin PW, which started this post, does he have to use the original Admin PW? Or can he create a new Admin PW without knowing the original?

My concern is that there could be a discrepancy between Admin PWs (which one is required?) and the new Keychain PW.

On the other hand I could be talking baloney!!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My concern is that there could be a discrepancy between Admin PWs (which one is required?) and the new Keychain PW.
As I understand it, an Admin password is required to create the Keychain database. It does NOT have to be the login password for the current user, but if it is NOT, then every access to the Keychain will require the entry of that password. On the other hand, if the logged in User account IS an Admin account, then the password for Keychain Access will not be required. However, if you use Keychain Access to attempt to SEE the password for any account in the database, that does require the admin password.

At least that is how I think it works...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
I think the pop-up could be for the sites, and require the password to be entered (for the site) so that they can be saved in the new keychain (which is empty)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I think the pop-up could be for the sites, and require the password to be entered (for the site) so that they can be saved in the new keychain (which is empty)
Hard to tell, Jim. If the logged in account isn't the Admin account that set up keychain, the popup is most likely for the keychain password. As for asking for a site password, keychain doesn't do that, it "reads" the login screen for the account information. But if the user isn't the Admin who set it up, then to store that information requires the Admin password.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Jake and others for explaining the complexities of this case.

For me, it’s jolly complicated and I feel sorry for @bmahin, the OP.

God luck to you @bmahin.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Great news. Computer's now OK.

To all of you who helped so much with support and technical support, thank you, thank you.

bmahin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Great news. Computer's now OK.

That's good news and let's hope it stays that way, but I wonder what you did that fixed the problem

- Patrick
=======

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini OS 10.12.6
Thanks, Patrick,

To your question: Mac Help had a device that allowed them to view my screen. That and a wizard tech fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.