Audio recording equipment for MacBook Air

Reaction score
I’m after advice and guidance please!!

I’ve just recently purchased a new MacBook Air and I am interested in recording some audiobook type recordings. Basically, my fiancée is a born narrator and I’m trying to convince her so.

can anyone advise on which equipment and software would be best to use/buy?

thanks in advance.

cheers 👍🏻

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

If you're referring to making a recording of an audio book, it may not be legal to do so because of copyright restrictions.

To make a recording using your MacBook Air (you didn't specify which MBA you have) the "QuickTime Player app" that is included with macOS can be used.

OP
J
Reaction score
No I’m not. I’m referring to me recording myself, or my fiancée reading a book. And it wouldn’t be used for any sort of profit making at all.

I am just after guidance on suitable hardware and software.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
To make the best demo recording, make sure you are in a location with good acoustics. A great mic in a lousy location will sound terrible, but an average mic with good acoustic location will sound pretty good. I can't recommend equipment, I'm not that up on what's out there. I do know that omni-directional mics will pick up background more than directional ones. B&H photos has a good selection and had some videos on mic differences. Start here: Microphones | Professional Microphones & Sound Mics | B&H

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Depends on how good you want and how much you want to spend. But keeping it budget friendly and if you're only recording voice, a nice USB mic keeps it simple, its mic/audio interface in one. Popular choices tend to be the AT2020 or Shure MV7, (maybe the rode...), and as MacInWin suggested, a decent room helps a great deal. You could buy a mic foam shield, or, record in a room with lots of soft dampening, (think beds, plush sofas, curtains, little reflective walls etc) or as I once did in a pinch, took a cardboard box, covered the inside with (clean) carpets and put the mic inside faced inside, for a quick voice over. echoey rooms aren't very good or pleasant.

OP
J
Reaction score
The MacBook Air that I have is a 2020 Apple MacBook Air 13.3" Retina Display.

I’m pretty certain that it doesn’t have a USB port in the traditional sense, instead it has a lightning cable port.

Does that help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
That machine has USBc ports, not lightning. You can either use a mic with a USBc connector or get an adapter like this one from Apple: USB-C to USB Adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Check out the usb mics I mentioned above. Those are the most popular and are great. Especially the shure. There are cheaper ones, likely would do the job. Budget and needs are the limit. (You can spend big on this, get a universal audio interface and a Townsend Sphere mic and you’re in for about 4 grand Canadian!) if you have a little more budget than a usb mic and prefer to go with a small audio interface and a separate mic, let me know. There’s some advantages but only if it matters to what you need to do.

for headphones I can only recommend what I use in my studio, they’re not the cheapest, audio technica ATH-M50x, they’re fairly highly regarded, and I can say they sound great (they’re closed back).

software, they all mostly do a great job, it becomes your taste and workflow. Often when you get something like an audio interface or maybe the usb mic (not sure on the mic) they often come with a mid level version of something that works very well. Logic is obviously a great Mac choice. I use pro tools, I believe there is a free version called ‘pro tools first’. I think it’s limited to 16 tracks.

of course, GarageBand, is a very overlooked daw that is quite capable, I believe one of its limitations is while it does 24bit, it will only do 44.1 (as opposed to 96 or 192) but honestly, I generally only record at 44.1 or 48 on almost all pro level releases.

(*****be sure to check the bit rate specs on any usb mics to avoid a surprise should you need more than 16/44.1)

I have a recording studio and can answer well, most questions. :)

Last edited:

krs

Reaction score
No I’m not. I’m referring to me recording myself, or my fiancée reading a book. And it wouldn’t be used for any sort of profit making at all.

I am just after guidance on suitable hardware and software.

Thanks.
To start, why not just use the hardware and software you already have?
The mikes built into the MacBook and the Quicktime software.
Then you can use the free Audacity software (which you have to download) to edit the recording if needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.