Attaching EHD to computer

Reaction score
My Macbook Air has only 121GB of storage. Just purchased a 1TB, Samsung T5, and I want to attach it to the case/lid and use it regularly as a separate but continuously connected extra drive to store applications and files. You see, I'm already at 90 GB on the main storage of the laptop, and am getting frequent beach balls, frozen screens and unwanted restarts. Been reading that offloading files and applications might help things run smoother.
What are your thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea? I think that I'd be putting my enormous iTunes music library on there and maybe some other large applications.
I did have some questions though. Do you think that closing/opening the lid, turning the computer on/off will cause unnecessary stress on that external drive. My intention is to leave it connected to the computer 24/7.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I did have some questions though. Do you think that closing/opening the lid, turning the computer on/off will cause unnecessary stress on that external drive. My intention is to leave it connected to the computer 24/7.

I would suggest you have an excellent idea going, and an excellent SSD drive choice, and just mount it with some good industrial-grade double sided mounting tape and use the shortest cable you can manage to find to keep things compact.

I was just suggesting a similar thing to our neighbour last week for her MacBook Air with its pathetically small storage drive that she is outgrowing, but was suggesting one of the small OWC drives with their very short connection cable to keep things as compact as possible.

Like the ENVOY PRO EX drive:

- Patrick
=======.

OP
S
Reaction score
I would suggest you have an excellent idea going, and an excellent SSD drive choice, and just mount it with some good industrial-grade double sided mounting tape and use the shortest cable you can manage to find to keep things compact.

I was just suggesting a similar thing to our neighbour last week for her MacBook Air with its pathetically small storage drive that she is outgrowing, but was suggesting one of the small OWC drives with their very short connection cable to keep things as compact as possible.

Like the ENVOY PRO EX drive:

- Patrick
=======.
Here is what I plan to get:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210910-201826_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210910-201826_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here is what I plan to get:

I am not familiar with that particular device whatever it is, could you provide the URL address for that unit???
Maybe some other members may have some comments about it that could provide constructive to you.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083Q7794B/?tag=macforums0e4-20

OK, thanks.
I think I would be inclined to just mount a 21/2 in SSD EHD with some good double-sided mounting tape or industrial adhesive Velcro tape and I would also use a much shorter connections cord.

Have you checked out the OWC Thunderbolt external solid state drives, and their short cables???
Macsales.com

Anyway, just my personal opinion...

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.