• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

AT&T tells unofficial tethering users it will upgrade plans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
So they shouldn't be able to charge you to use a network that they build and they own? Really? What about when your "use for whatever you want" causes others bandwidth to slow to a crawl, is that ok? What if your the one being slowed to the crawl and download that all important e-mail? Would that be ok, or would you whine that their data is too slow and complain to them about it? Simple fact is, and this may be a shocker to some of you the pipe is only so bi, as it throughput. It doesn't matter if it's AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mo, Boost, ComCast, TimeWarner or whoever's pipe, there is always a limit of some kind and those who hog more limit others. I see no issue with making people pay for data and even tethering. If you want to use it, you have to pay. Period.

If it's that big of a deal, you can always find a carrier that gives you every thing that you want....somewhere...

A - there is no need to be snippy about it - I gave my opinion.

B - as an iPhone user, you are already paying for a data package. ATT already had changed the rules on people by removing the unlimited package. Without an unlimited package, people once they use up their allotted amount of data will be forced to pay more. I'm sorry if I disagree with you, but you're paying for bandwidth - I don't feel you should have to pay twice for something. Tethering wasn't even an option through a paid service on an iPhone until recently - until recently, ATT wasn't whining about their customers using third party tethering packages. If ATT had been consistent and threatened to block/throttle/charge more in the past for using these third party packages, I wouldn't have any issue with what their doing (other then in general not liking it, but I wouldn't have a problem with ATT doing it) - it's not like they magically just now determined that these people were doing this - the data has always been there - ATT just chose to ignore it because they had secondary option to charge people for it.

C - ATT's network has already been sore spot for many users as it has been a common complaint from users - and this was before people were mass tethering (I doubt there are near as many jailbreak users as non-jailbreak).

D - I don't have a problem with throttling. I don't like it, but I don't have a problem with it when is warranted - but on the other side of the coin, these companies have known for YEARS that bandwidth usage would increase as companies move to put more and more of their products online for download which means, they should consider that. I'm not saying they need to sink all profits into consistently updating and upgrading, but it does make sense to move forward rather then backward. I have been on networks that have been slowed to a crawl. I either wait it out or choose something different. Plus, even if people start paying extra, it won't magically improve the network - it will still be bogged down. There may be a few less tethering users, but that won't necessarily fix the problem.

E - For the record, I'm not a person under this threat of change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Man, Apple people love this argument and think its a show stopper for some reason.

Actually I don't. But I do like it when it's legitimate, and in this case it is.

Shutup and bend over is kinda childish, and is not how the corporate environment works by and large.

Are you in the corporate environment? Or better yet, how long have you been a decision maker at a fortune 500 company to now that's how they work?

Oh, and how many "PR" campaigns has AT&T caved to? Not really any of any significance. So yeah, you keep paying them even though you don't like what they do and there are other competitors out there. That'll show 'em.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
If you don't like the rules, build and support your own cell network. Then you can make the rules whatever you want.

Are you implying that people should quit complaining, and switch? If so, I would agree, but the problem is ATT apparently does not want to let the user have the option of switching, even though the contract HAS changed. The rules have changed midway through most peoples contract. There are laws to help the consumer from being trapped in these kind of situations. So, what you seem to be implying, is pretty much near impossible.

I'm going to leave my argument with this. People will voice their opinions, and in the way I see it, ATT does have the right to charge someone for the option to tether via ATT's tethering option, but I don't see it at all feasible for them to charge you extra for USING the frikin data that you are paying for, no matter how you use it...
The whole tethering option is a scam. Just simply double dipping. Most providers in europe have combined data that includes the ability to "tether" via their original data capacity, with no extra charge. Maybe they should not have allowed the grandfathering of the unlimited data plan, because for a 2gb data user, this argument is pretty pointless. I don't even have my iphone jb-ed, and I can still manage 4-5gb's a month. After reaching 5gb's, EVERYTHING comes to a crawl. That's what puts me right at the edge of it all, to the point that I would just cancel the unlimited data plan. I actually don't know when the 5gb cap got placed, because I do remember passing it before, and not having problem doing things as basic as surfing safari.

What can you really expect when the whole US is monopolized by just 2 carriers??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't want to make enemies here, but I don't think everyone always has to be right about everything, all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Are you implying that people should quit complaining, and switch?

Part of it, but the main point it that it's their private network so they own it, they built it, they can set the rules they want around how it can and can't be used. Just like if you built your own network, you could decide how and when it could be used.

I just don't have much sympathy for the people who incessantly complain about AT&T and yet continue to give them money every month. AT&T is only going to listen when people start moving in large numbers to someone else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
I agree with the statement posted above by idrinorbarsaku that states the tethering option is a scam. They truly are double dipping their customers, but the fact remains as schweb pointed out, that it is their sandbox and their rules. I am 100% behind AT&T adding the fee to the bills of the users that are guilty of theft of service. They knew going in what the rule was on tethering, but they chose to jailbreak the device and unlock the option to steal. Plain and simple theft, no bones about it.

IMO, AT&T should dump the customer found to be using the service without paying for it. I cannot for the life of me figure out what makes someone think that it is OK to take what they think is right.

Reaction score
I can tell you don't live in Texas! :Smirk:

Actually I do live in Texas. And while my water company does charge different rates based on total consumption, in no way does it say "water for the shower is $1 per gallon, but water for the pool is $1.50, and water for drinking is $0.75."

So they shouldn't be able to charge you to use a network that they build and they own? Really? What about when your "use for whatever you want" causes others bandwidth to slow to a crawl, is that ok?

I think this is a bit disingenuous. Nobody is saying that data transmission should be free, only that costs should be reasonably applied. If I use 2GB on my phone, it's $20, but if I use the same 2GB on my computer, it's $40. That is what's unreasonable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Another way I see this, it's like paying for gas at a gas station. You fill up a 5-gallon gas jug, which you will use for your car, lawn-mower, and whatever, and then that gas station coming out and saying they are going to charge you for gas on whatever other engine you will use it for, even if it is the same exact gas. Why does it matter where you use it, when you are paying for a set mount of data? As I mentioned, ATT already caps your "unlimited" data usage to 5gb's.

And for people who just say, "if you don't like it, move..." Is that how easily you give up at things? It's wrong, simple as that. If this was the right thing to do, ATT would've been doing it since they rolled out their data plans, but now that they see how much data people are using, they want to nickel and dime people. I've got my "unlimited plan," and I plan to use it to the MAX of my potential. After all, I'M the one paying the money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, they're already charging me for 2gb of data a month. I bought it. Whether I want to use it on my iphone or my laptop is (arguably) besides the point. Nobody is asking to use the pipe for free. We're just asking to use the resources we paid for.
I think that's a legitimate thing to whine about.

Really? Isn't that the point of this thread? People "unofficially" tethering" (i.e not paying for it):

Nethfel said:
A - there is no need to be snippy about it - I gave my opinion.

A- That wasn't being snippy but if you feel it came across that way, so be it. The reputation system comes in handy in these situations.

Nethfel said:
B - as an iPhone user, you are already paying for a data package. ATT already had changed the rules on people by removing the unlimited package. Without an unlimited package, people once they use up their allotted amount of data will be forced to pay more. I'm sorry if I disagree with you, but you're paying for bandwidth - I don't feel you should have to pay twice for something. Tethering wasn't even an option through a paid service on an iPhone until recently - until recently, ATT wasn't whining about their customers using third party tethering packages. If ATT had been consistent and threatened to block/throttle/charge more in the past for using these third party packages, I wouldn't have any issue with what their doing (other then in general not liking it, but I wouldn't have a problem with ATT doing it) - it's not like they magically just now determined that these people were doing this - the data has always been there - ATT just chose to ignore it because they had secondary option to charge people for it.

B - The data package you buy is for the phone itself. Nothing else. People assume they can get something for nothing but the fact is the provider can charge you to use another device besides the phone with data. Yes, you are paying for bandwidth, for the phone, NOT for your computer. If you want that extra bandwidth that your computer would require, pay for it. How hard is this for you to understand? So the fact that they decided to crack down makes them bad? The fact they decided they were tired of being ripped off is bad? Something about speeding and the police issuing tickets to speeders comes to mind here.

Nethfel said:
C - ATT's network has already been sore spot for many users as it has been a common complaint from users - and this was before people were mass tethering (I doubt there are near as many jailbreak users as non-jailbreak).

C - if it was a sore spot users now have another provider they can turn to. Numbers show there has not been a mass exodus from AT&T so it must not be all that bad.

Nethfel said:
D - I don't have a problem with throttling. I don't like it, but I don't have a problem with it when is warranted - but on the other side of the coin, these companies have known for YEARS that bandwidth usage would increase as companies move to put more and more of their products online for download which means, they should consider that. I'm not saying they need to sink all profits into consistently updating and upgrading, but it does make sense to move forward rather then backward. I have been on networks that have been slowed to a crawl. I either wait it out or choose something different. Plus, even if people start paying extra, it won't magically improve the network - it will still be bogged down. There may be a few less tethering users, but that won't necessarily fix the problem.

D - I don't disagree there, but if there are less bandwidth hogs there is more available across the board. This same logic holds true for home service providers and many of them will throttle connections for large data users after a certain point unless an extra use fee is payed. FYI, they are moving foreword, it's called 4G/LTE. Bigger. faster pipe.

Nethfel said:
E - For the record, I'm not a person under this threat of change.

E - Neither am I.

idrinorbarsaku said:
I'm going to leave my argument with this. People will voice their opinions, and in the way I see it, ATT does have the right to charge someone for the option to tether via ATT's tethering option, but I don't see it at all feasible for them to charge you extra for USING the frikin data that you are paying for, no matter how you use it...

Why is this hard to understand? As has already been said the package you buy is for the phone only, not your PC or another device.

idrinorbarsaku said:
The whole tethering option is a scam. Just simply double dipping. Most providers in europe have combined data that includes the ability to "tether" via their original data capacity, with no extra charge.

idrinorbarsaku said:
What can you really expect when the whole US is monopolized by just 2 carriers??

Maybe you should move to Europe then?

idrinorbarsaku said:
I don't even have my iphone jb-ed, and I can still manage 4-5gb's a month. After reaching 5gb's, EVERYTHING comes to a crawl.

Never come close and I'm still on unlimited.

Shikarn said:
I think this is a bit disingenuous. Nobody is saying that data transmission should be free, only that costs should be reasonably applied. If I use 2GB on my phone, it's $20, but if I use the same 2GB on my computer, it's $40. That is what's unreasonable.

Not disingenuous at all. Those are the choices you have. Since you can't seem to grasp the whole concept of the package being "for the phone only" so your only other option is to vote with your wallet. Move to a carrier that gives you otions you prefer and be happy with it.

idrinorbarsaku said:
Another way I see this, it's like paying for gas at a gas station. You fill up a 5-gallon gas jug, which you will use for your car, lawn-mower, and whatever, and then that gas station coming out and saying they are going to charge you for gas on whatever other engine you will use it for, even if it is the same exact gas. Why does it matter where you use it, when you are paying for a set mount of data? As I mentioned, ATT already caps your "unlimited" data usage to 5gb's.

That's not a good analogy. Once you leave the station there is no more connection between you and the company you made the purchase from. Your phone or devices are more or less ALWAYS on the providers network no matter what (Wi-Fi being the exception). As such you are always using the service like it or not.

A better one would be the electric company. Or the Gas company. Or Cable. Or Water (been done). They ALL expect you to pay every cent for what you use and they will all pursue you and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law when you steal from them. You can't tap your electrical line legally to use on another bit of property. They will tap it, but they will charge you not only for the extra electricity but also for the act of them taping it for you. Can't do it with water or gas or cable either.

So why should the cell carriers be different? Because your phone and computers are just a toy? Because you can't control yourself on how you use that toy?

idrinorbarsaku said:
And for people who just say, "if you don't like it, move..." Is that how easily you give up at things? It's wrong, simple as that. If this was the right thing to do, ATT would've been doing it since they rolled out their data plans, but now that they see how much data people are using, they want to nickel and dime people. I've got my "unlimited plan," and I plan to use it to the MAX of my potential. After all, I'M the one paying the money.

I disagree. You want something for free and I believe that is "simply wrong". Is it ok of your neighbor pays for cable TV for you to tap his line and get it for free? I mean, he's already paying for it and you shouldn't have too, right?

Yes, If I thought it was really "wrong" I would give it up, plain and simple. That's how the world works. If your ethical or moral standards don't drive you stop paying money to a business you think is doing it wrong, then it can't really be that big an issue for you. Otherwise you are simply lying to yourself and this really no way to live. Maybe it's time to grow up.

Please don't tell me that you are naive enough to be surprised that a company is going to "Nickel and Dime" you. Seriously? The last sentence of the above paragraph applies here too. You think some how they should just give everyone a break and let it slide all the time? Those people using a product they didn't pay for should just be left alone because pursuing them or making them pay for a service is "just wrong"? Ever paid an electricity bill after leaving the heat or air on for weeks on end? You use it, you pay and they all want their money regardless of wether you like it or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Maybe you should move to Europe then?
That's the best you could come up with? Really??

A better one would be the electric company. Or the Gas company. Or Cable. Or Water (been done). They ALL expect you to pay every cent for what you use and they will all pursue you and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law when you steal from them. You can't tap your electrical line legally to use on another bit of property. They will tap it, but they will charge you not only for the extra electricity but also for the act of them taping it for you. Can't do it with water or gas or cable either.
That's not better! No one is "stealing" "extra" gb's of data. They are using the amount they already paid for, taking it off their phone, and connecting to their computer. Like I said, buying gas for a car, and being chrged twice for also using it on your lawn-mower. I wouldn't even waste my time arguing a point of stealing more data than your plan gives you. That's just stupid.

Clearly you don't seem to agree with anything here, so, I don't see the point in dragging this out. I'm entitled to use my phone as I see fit, for what I pay for. Clearly, I'm not one of the one's who are being targeted by ATT, so I'm not worried about anything, but I've been reading some posts about ATT charging extra to people's bills even when they have unlimited data. If that does happen to me, I don't care that much about ATT to stick with them. I'll keep my iphone though.

With all respect...grow up. -baggss
You want to give me negative feedback for disagreeing with you? That's the second time now. I think you are the one who needs to grow up!
If anything, you're the one who show the most disrespect around here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

That's not better! No one is "stealing" "extra" gb's of data. They are using the amount they already paid for, taking it off their phone, and connecting to their computer. Like I said, buying gas for a car, and being chrged twice for also using it on your lawn-mower. I wouldn't even waste my time arguing a point of stealing more data than your plan gives you. That's just stupid.

Clearly you don't seem to agree with anything here, so, I don't see the point in dragging this out. I'm entitled to use my phone as I see fit, for what I pay for. Clearly, I'm not one of the one's who are being targeted by ATT, so I'm not worried about anything, but I've been reading some posts about ATT charging extra to people's bills even when they have unlimited data. If that does happen to me, I don't care that much about ATT to stick with them. I'll keep my iphone though.

wrong post

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

I'm not the only one who who is unable to agree with anything here.

That is still a bad analogy for reasons I have already pointed out. Using the data contrary to the intention of the contract is a violation of the contract and could be construed as stealing. You don't seem be able or willing to understand that simple point for whatever reason. The contract is for data for the phone. Period. Like it or not, that's what you've got.

Staying with AT&T is, as always, your choice. Incorrect billing happens all the time and usually they make it right. It's happened me twice in 3 years and each time they fixed it within minutes of me contacting them. Your mileage may vary. That being said though, people never embellish their sob stories about how some big bad company tried to wrong them when posting on-line. Never happens. Ever.

You're the one who brought the European system up and used it as a model. Besides, that was a long post and I didn't feel any further response to that nonsense was necessary.

You want to give me negative feedback for disagreeing with you? That's the second time now. I think you are the one who needs to grow up! If anything, you're the one who show the most disrespect around here.

I don't feel I've been disrespectful or rude to you or anyone else in this debate/discussion. You may think so and that's fine. You may not like my style of debate and that is fine as well.

baggss reputation page said:
Right back at you! [idrinor]

Eye for an eye, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
It is stealing. You do pay for a certain amount of data for phone usage, and there is a separate option available to get a second set of data specifically for tethering. Using any means other than the required sign up process and additional monthly bill is theft of service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad2
When you purchase a registration sticker for your vehicle, it's good for that vehicle ONLY. You can't switch it back and forth between your other vehicles, even though you paid good money for it.

That's how I think AT&T looks at the situation with their data packages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
When you purchase a registration sticker for your vehicle, it's good for that vehicle ONLY. You can't switch it back and forth between your other vehicles, even though you paid good money for it.

That's how I think AT&T looks at the situation with their data packages.

That's an interesting way of looking at it, but it's not accurate. If you registered a vehicle for 15,000 miles per year, then it would be. Registration is property tax and DMV fees. If AT&T did that, you'd just buy the phone at an up-front price and could use as much data as you wanted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone 4S, iPad2
That's an interesting way of looking at it, but it's not accurate. If you registered a vehicle for 15,000 miles per year, then it would be. Registration is property tax and DMV fees. If AT&T did that, you'd just buy the phone at an up-front price and could use as much data as you wanted.

Well, I didn't think about the mileage aspect, but if you disregard that, I think the concept is still the same. The DMV intends for that registration sticker to be used on one vehicle only, just like AT&T intends for their data package to be used only on the phone it was purchased for.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.