At https://www.icloud.com I see "There was a problem loading this content."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
I have been battling with getting into using iCloud Drive. Particularly, I think around the Desktop and Documents features. I have gone back and forth with it enable on my different computers, and seen all sorts if oddities. It would seem I need some sort of help sorting out what is going on.

This is working from three Macs. One on High Sierra, one on Catalina, and a "ne" one on Monterey. Maybe that spread in system versions has contributed to the issues.

In any case I see different things when I go to iCloud Drive in Finder on each. I think I have managed to get a number of folders around Desktop as viewed this way from the different machines.

To try to get a better look at what is there I went to iCloud on the web (https://www.icloud.com). and there is an area named Drive there, but in it is "There was a problem loading this content. - Please try again later."

At iCloud Drive - Apple iCloud I see the same thing.

I have been trying l "again later" for a couple of days. No luck.

An OBTW part of this is that on the High Sierra Mac which has by far the most files I keep seeing bird, and another task running - I beleive they are involved in the iCloud Drive scheme.

How do I get help with this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
OK, this is going to get complex, I think. First of all, what are the settings on each of the three machines with regard to somethiing probably labelled "Optimize Storage on This Mac" or "Optimize Storage" or any references to "store Desktop and User data in iCloud?" I don't remember all of the ways Apple referred to it over the years and versions. Where to find that may be in Storage in Preferences, or under the AppleID part of Preferences/Settings.

What may be happening is that the three machines are set differently on how to store data in iCloud and on iCloud Drive (Yes, those are two different things and work differently).

The "optimize" options all MOVE the data from the internal drive for Desktop and Documents from your acccount to the cloud and leaves behind on the machine what is known as a "dataless" file that points to the iCloud location where the file is stored. When you want that file, it is downloaded to the local machine again, you work on it, save it and eventually it will be "evicted" again back to the cloud and a new dataless file created to point to the new file location. When the other machines sharing that AppleID account want the file, the same transactions happen.

If you don't have optimize turned on, but use iCloud Drive as a syncing tool, like Dropbox or others, then the three machines need to be logged into the same AppleID for the files to be synchronized. In this case, the file is again stored in the cloud, but this time on iCloud Drive and, I think, also on the local machine in the iCloud Drive folder. When any machine edits the file and saves it again to the local iCloud Drive, the file is synced to the cloud and then back to all machines using iCloud Drive for that AppleID.

So, in your case, it could be one, or the other, or a mixture (some machines optimized, some sharing only) that is creating the situation. And if you have more than one AppleID account, that could add another layer of confusion because data cannot be shared across AppleIDs except through Family Sharing, and even then, I think it's limited.

So, tell us more about the various options on the various machines. Pictures help.

BTW, I tested iCloud Drive online and it's up and working, so the issue is with your account or settings, not systemic.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2017 Monterey, iMac 27 Mid 2011 High Sierra, MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Catalina
Thanks! It is going to take a bit of time to get all that, but I am on it :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Forgive me for perhaps asking the obvious but just in case; do you have sufficient storage on iCloud for the Desktop and Documents folders from the three devices?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Good point.

Ian

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Old iMac:
In iCould in System Preferences - iCoud Drive is checked and in it Options Documents & Desktop Folders is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is NOT checked

MBP:
In Apple ID from Preferences - iCloud Drive is checked, and in it Options for it Desktop & Documents is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is checked

New iMac:
In Apple ID from Preferences - iCloud Drive is checked, and in it Options for it Desktop & Documents is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is checked

Also:
I just realized there are storage related functions in About This Mac - Storage - Manage. I had never looked there. Exactly what happens there is not clear to me. It is hard to tell about the setting states. I suspect these are just to invoke processes that set the options up.

On the Old iMac: there is just Do you want to optimize storage of files from iCloud with Cancel and Optimize buttons

On the MBP there are four buttons
Store in iCloud - Store in iCloud
Optimize Storage - Optimize
Empty Trash Automatically with a green dot next to Completed
Reduce Clutter - Review Files

On the new iMac I think I see the same thing as the MBP.

iPhone oddity:
Fairly recently I noticed something odd had happened in my iPhone backups displays on the three machines.

On the iPhone under General - iPhone storage I see 36.75 GB of 128 GB used, and the colored bar graph agrees. That is not unreasonable, particularly with ir showing just 1.5 GB for Phots (that seems to be what I see when the full ploys are on iCloud.

But in iTunes the bar graph shows as full and Photos showed 43 GB for Photos, and then while I was typing it dropped back to 1.5 GB. On the other hand the Documents bar grew to fill the space and now reads 143 GB - on a 128 GB phone!!!

On the MBP in Finder - iPhone I see pretty much the same thing - the bar segments all together add up 159 GB, with nothing showing for system files. This more oe less identical to the Old iMac.

The display on the New iMac is also the same.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point.

Ian
Forgive me for perhaps asking the obvious but just in case; do you have sufficient storage on iCloud for the Desktop and Documents folders from the three devices?
I show 136 out of 200 in use. I am not at all sure how much is actually needed now because of all the confusion of folders on iCloud.

I would expect to get messages of some sort if there was not enough and I don't think I have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Old iMac:
In iCould in System Preferences - iCoud Drive is checked and in it Options Documents & Desktop Folders is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is NOT checked

MBP:
In Apple ID from Preferences - iCloud Drive is checked, and in it Options for it Desktop & Documents is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is checked

New iMac:
In Apple ID from Preferences - iCloud Drive is checked, and in it Options for it Desktop & Documents is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is checked. Optimize Mac Storage is checked

Also:
I just realized there are storage related functions in About This Mac - Storage - Manage. I had never looked there. Exactly what happens there is not clear to me. It is hard to tell about the setting states. I suspect these are just to invoke processes that set the options up.

On the Old iMac: there is just Do you want to optimize storage of files from iCloud with Cancel and Optimize buttons

On the MBP there are four buttons
Store in iCloud - Store in iCloud
Optimize Storage - Optimize
Empty Trash Automatically with a green dot next to Completed
Reduce Clutter - Review Files

On the new iMac I think I see the same thing as the MBP.

iPhone oddity:
Fairly recently I noticed something odd had happened in my iPhone backups displays on the three machines.

On the iPhone under General - iPhone storage I see 36.75 GB of 128 GB used, and the colored bar graph agrees. That is not unreasonable, particularly with ir showing just 1.5 GB for Phots (that seems to be what I see when the full ploys are on iCloud.

But in iTunes the bar graph shows as full and Photos showed 43 GB for Photos, and then while I was typing it dropped back to 1.5 GB. On the other hand the Documents bar grew to fill the space and now reads 143 GB - on a 128 GB phone!!!

On the MBP in Finder - iPhone I see pretty much the same thing - the bar segments all together add up 159 GB, with nothing showing for system files. This more oe less identical to the Old iMac.

OK, got that. What is it you want to do with iCloud? Do you want to offload the internal drives and store your Documents and Desktop in the cloud and download themm when you need/want them? Or do you want to use iCloud Drive like Dropbox, where when you put a file on the iCloud Drive it gets synced across all of the other devices connected to the same account, but your Desktop and Documents folders are actually ON each device and available when there is no Internet connectivity? Which of those you choose will make a difference in the next steps to take.

And, like you, I don't think the issue is storage, yet. You would have gotten a message that it was getting full, not that there was a problem loading content.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone oddity:

Let's leave this alone for now. macOS and iOS both use data compression to reduce file sizes, and how you have set your preferences makes a difference in what gets reported, too. Sadly, there is no single authoritative source for how much storage is used/needed right now. It gets really complex, particularly when iCloud and iCloud Drive get into it, so let's let that go for now and come back to it later.

But, on the iPhone, do you want access to all of the same documents that are on the Macs? Or do you specifically NOT want the phone full of that stuff? What about syncing pictures? Do you want that between the phone and the Macs or not? Can you tell us what is in Settings> AppleID > iCloud on the phone? You should see a list of Apps using iCloud on that settings page.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I think I want is actually to get it sorted out somehow :)
I think Documents could be shared - all the machines see the same thing.
But as to Desktop I am unclear. When there is a shared Desktop, what do I see on each macine. Is it the same on all of them? Same positioning? I tend to use the Desktop for much more than maybe I should, but that is the way my use has evolved over upwards of 30 years. Also one of the iMacs has a sceond screen that I use a lot. I am unclear how that plays into this. When I do something on it, or put icons on it what happens on the other machines?

BTW - as I stumble around on iCloud Drive looking from ther different machines I see a number of folders with Desktop in their name. Some are just Desktop, and others have a dash and then the name of one of the computers - not sure but at least some of those show up within a plain Desktop.

Last edited:
OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's leave this alone for now. macOS and iOS both use data compression to reduce file sizes, and how you have set your preferences makes a difference in what gets reported, too. Sadly, there is no single authoritative source for how much storage is used/needed right now. It gets really complex, particularly when iCloud and iCloud Drive get into it, so let's let that go for now and come back to it later.

But, on the iPhone, do you want access to all of the same documents that are on the Macs? Or do you specifically NOT want the phone full of that stuff? What about syncing pictures? Do you want that between the phone and the Macs or not? Can you tell us what is in Settings> AppleID > iCloud on the phone? You should see a list of Apps using iCloud on that settings page.
I have never mastered any sharing of files between the phone (and or a couple of old iPads) and the iMacs - other than what is done in apps that I think to work that way - Notes for example which IS a significant cross platform for us). I don't mind seeing Photos on the phone, and of course that is where a lot come from so they should go up yo iCloud, and store in the compressed for on the phone (I may have on the order of 40 GB of photos in the Mac photos area (not to mention a lot I always just transferred from the camera chips to seperate folders (someday maybe I will be able to get that one under control and consolidated :)

On the phone storage plan 200 GB, iCloud Drive 102.3 GB, iCloud Photos 30.4, Backups 2.2 GB, Messages 947 MB, Notes 56 MB, and a scattering of about 18 more with a few MB or KB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I think I want is actually to get it sorted out somehow :)
I think Documents could be shared - all the machines see the same thing.
But as to Desktop I am unclear. When there is a shared Desktop, what do I see on each macine. Is it the same on all of them? Same positioning? I tend to use the Desktop for much more than maybe I should, but that is the way my use has evolved over upwards of 30 years. Also one of the iMacs has a sceond screen that I use a lot. I am unclear how that plays into this. When I do something on it, or put icons on it what happens on the other machines?

BTW - as I stumble around on iCloud Drive looking from ther different machines I see a number of folders with Desktop in their name. Some are just Desktop, and others have a dash and then the name of one of the computers - not sure but at least some of those show up within a plain Desktop.
Before you take any actions, make current backups of all machines. Anything can go wrong.

I would recommend that you can use iCloud Drive to sync, but not use the various "Optimize" options. My thinking on that is that if you lose Internet for any reason, then those files that have been evicted (Apple's term for them being moved to the cloud) won't be available to you even though you can see the filename on the Mac. But you can still use iCloud Drive to sync the files you want to sync across the machines by copying them into the iCloud Drive on any given machine and it will sync to the same location on the other machines logged into that same AppleID and for which iCloud Drive is active. And if you want to have files that are NOT synced, you just don't put them in the iCloud Drive folder.

So, from where you are, what you will need to do is to turn off the "Optimize..." options on each machine that it is currently turned on and then wait.......the files will need to be downloaded by the system from iCloud back to where they need to be, and that can take time. Apple's documentation on the process is very sketchy, but you can start here:

Note that at the top of the page you can select which version of macOS you are running on each machine to get specific instructions on how to turn it ON, but nothing on how to turn it OFF.

There are a few places to get more information, including the Eclectic Light Company website. Here is a link to an older article that tries to explain what is happening:

If you search that website for "Optimize storage" you'll find other technical articles on this somewhat opaque system from Apple. The owner of the site, Howard Oakley, is a very knowledgable Mac expert who digs into the technical workings for what Apple is doing.

So, what i think should happen if you turn off Optimize on, say, the MBP, the system SHOULD create a new Desktop and a new Documents folder on the MBP and download everything from the cloud to those two folders. I think that you will then have to do some fiddling to make these two new folders into your Desktop and Document folders as I think the system will NOT overwrite what is already there, i.e., the current folder full of stubs for the evicted files. I've not done that myself, so I'm not totally sure what will happen. I do know it will take time, however. Do the two machines, the MBP and the new iMac, separately and let each one run to completion at downloading. The download is a slow process because it runs in the background as a low-priority task.

Yeah, what that indicates is that the Optimized machines have put the Desktop and Documents folder into the iCloud Drive folder on each machine, but then to keep them sorted out given them the extention of the name of the machine from which they came. And if you have mutiple users on the various machines, each Desktop and Documents folder will be replicated and renamed again. It gets ugly fast.

I think when you have turned off the Optimize.. on each machine those individual folders from other machines should go away. Not totally sure on that, however, so don't be surprised if they don't. In any case, once the downloads from turning off Optimize are complete, you can then check the various Desktop and Documents folders still on iCloud Drive to see what, if anything, you might need to move to the new Desktop and Documents folders that have been created and then delete the folders from iCloud Drive and they should go away.

Once the restoration is done, then the way to use iCloud Drive is that for any folder you want shared, move it to the iCloud Drive folder and it will be synced, with each machine receiving a full copy, also in their own iCloud Drive folder, and one stored in the cloud. It's a lot like Dropbox at that point.

As for the iPhones, I use iCloud to sync Photos, Notes, and Messages between my MBP and my iPhone and iPad. I've set that on my iPhone under Settings, AppleID, iCloud. It also needs to be set in Preferences for the three apps on each Mac that you want to be synced.

That is probably enough for now. Make the backups and turn off Optimize and wait...report back on progress.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think this is all unnecessarily complicated. Really only one device needs to have documents and desktop folders stored in iCloud Drive unless space is an issue. That way all devices can access the same files. For example if you access a file from the iMac on your MBP and make alterations then they will be mirrored on the iMac after it syncs. If you want a file on the iMac from the MBP just save it in iCloud Drive on the MBP.
If storage space is the issue there other ways of tackling that and personally I would not want to loose my desktop for tempory visible storage.

I did try the store "Documents & Desktop in iCloud Drive" option (by accident) recently, didn't like it. Fortunately it was easily reversed. Having said that I do make use of iCloud Drive quite a lot across two laptops and the Files app on iPhone and iPad none of which requires "optimising" my storage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think this is all unnecessarily complicated. Really only one device needs to have documents and desktop folders stored in iCloud Drive unless space is an issue. That way all devices can access the same files. For example if you access a file from the iMac on your MBP and make alterations then they will be mirrored on the iMac after it syncs. If you want a file on the iMac from the MBP just save it in iCloud Drive on the MBP.
If storage space is the issue there other ways of tackling that and personally I would not want to loose my desktop for tempory visible storage.

I did try the store "Documents & Desktop in iCloud Drive" option (by accident) recently, didn't like it. Fortunately it was easily reversed. Having said that I do make use of iCloud Drive quite a lot across two laptops and the Files app on iPhone and iPad none of which requires "optimising" my storage.
I'm not sure of the value of "Optimize" for the average user, either. I can see a value for an edge-case where a device has very little storage and the user wants to be able to store large amounts of data, but most of us with large data requirements would probably get a large internal storage option or an external drive to solve the problem, not be dependent on iCloud connectivity.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another possible clue/thought - along the way trying to get a handle on what is going on I have managed to get folder icons on my desktops that point to one or another of the Desktop folders in iCloud. I rather suspect there may be some sort of circular referencing going on. Not sure if that is exactly the right term.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure of the value of "Optimize" for the average user, either. I can see a value for an edge-case where a device has very little storage and the user wants to be able to store large amounts of data, but most of us with large data requirements would probably get a large internal storage option or an external drive to solve the problem, not be dependent on iCloud connectivity.
I wonder what would happen if I turned it off on any of the machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder what would happen if I turned it off on any of the machines.
I told you that in post #12.

And yes, the various Desktops and Documents all point to one another. It's how it works.

I recommend you stop messing with it and just turn it off, as I suggested in post #12.

Make backups first.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Following up:

Sorry to be dense, but I try to be VERY careful because of my long experience with Mac problems (back to the 90s), and that I always seem to regret doing the next thing just after I do it and things go goes wrong in spite of thinking I had the bases covered. :)

Since my last post good bit more or less magically :) sorted out. I suspect at least part of the issues was that the systems were taking a LONGGG time to work back and forth sorting out what was on iCloud and what was on the Macs.

Still a lot to do trying to unscramble what is where from the points of view of the three systems, but hopefully it will work out OK.

Bob

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.