Art App Question

Reaction score
2017 MacBook Pro, OS 10.13.6

I have done a group of drawings using simple outlines, and hope to use a Graphic App to add tones and color. Which Graphic App would be best for this project. I would prefer to use my MacBook, unless there are better options for the iPad. Thanks for any advice!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mac App Store has some really nice apps you can look over. One of my favorites is "Pixelmator", but there is also Affinity Photo, Affinity Designer, and now CorelDraw.

However, there is one that is frequently overlooked and it's free: "Pages"

Most folks think that Pages is only a word processor, but it's also a very nice layout program and it won't cost you anything to try it out. And it's also free for the iOS version. :)

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions! I have used Pages to combine images with word captions, but never imagined it could be used to add color. I will explore the possibilities.

Last edited:
Reaction score
2017 MacBook Pro, OS 10.13.6

I have done a group of drawings using simple outlines, and hope to use a Graphic App to add tones and color. Which Graphic App would be best for this project.

There are a TON of options! Have a look at:

Krita (free)
Krita | Digital Painting. Creative Freedom.

Gimp (free)
GIMP - GNU Image Manipulation Program

However, if all you want to do is fill in some color, Preview, which comes with the Mac OS, can do a pretty decent job. In Preview, look under the Tools menu --> Adjust Color.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.