Are older iMacs still good?

Reaction score
I am interested in getting an Apple computer. However, I don't have enough money to just go out and buy a new one right now. I also know that Apple computers can last a long time adn run very well over many years. I have heard many stories of people who have been using the same Mac for 5 years + and they still run like new. Now, my question is about iMacs. I'm particularly interested in an iMac, that is Intel, not PowerPC. I'm not looking to get one for hardcore gaming or really anything like that, but more for development and software. I'm interested in using programs such as Blender and other 3D rendering programs and game engines, and maybe some web browsing, not much else, maybe the occasional download, but particularly for software and programming related purposes. So, I guess my main questions - are they still good? Are they still worth it? It isn't going to be a main computer, I just want programs to run smoothly. There are various ads on Craigslist and other sites that have them for very good prices ($50-$250) and the most common years seem to be from 2006-2009, and since that price range isn't too much, I was thinking if I found one that was real nice, I would maybe get it. So are they good? Would they run programs like Blender and other programs like that well, and maybe some game engines, like Unity? Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Your questions are impossible to answer w/o knowing what your budget may be? What is the maximum amount that you are willing to spend on an used iMac, and do you want a desktop or a laptop - answers to these questions might generate some decent suggestions. Dave

Reaction score
The first Intel iMac was in 2006 and it was a Core 2 Duo. I wouldn't want to do 3D rendering on a nearly 10-year-old CPU. When you say "Blender and other 3D rendering programs and game engines" you're talking about very CPU-intensive applications.

Older iMacs are certainly capable but you have to be realistic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well mine is cracking now that it's just had a new hard drive and a RAM upgrade but I don't do gaming. Judging by comments here on benchmark tests
How fast are the "Mid-2011" Aluminum iMac models compared to one another? How much faster are these models than the "Mid-2011" models replaced? How fast are they compared to a Mac Pro? @ EveryMac.com

I would start with mid 2011 models and work up from there.

Extract "With the help of site sponsor Other World Computing, the excellent BareFeats tested all four stock "Mid-2011" iMac models compared to "Mid-2010" iMac and Mac Pro models in synthetic benchmarks, Portal 2 gaming under Mac OS X, Windows games, and pro applications. Although all of the tests should be reviewed for the full perspectives, BareFeats was particularly impressed with the gaming performance of the "Mid-2011" iMac line, finding it to be a "best buy."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Buy nothing older than the 2011 iMac and read the excellent article pendlewitch has sourced. You won't get one for $250, but then again anything earlier will really struggle to do what you want. It is like asking is a 2006 Ford a good a buy as a 2011?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Al right Harry, let's be nice now. I'm still driving my 98 Mustang. ;P

C

chas_m

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar I would dearly love to get rid of but the darn thing just never quite requires anything both expensive enough and mandatory enough for me to give it up. Just went over the Rockies and back with it in fact, and only a small crack in the windshield to show for it.

Anyway, I'm writing this to you on a 2012 MacBook Pro which is -- except for being thicker and heavier due to an optical drive bay -- essentially the same thing as the non-Retina MBP 13-inch Apple sells today, so clearly older Macs can be a good value, but that doesn't mean every vintage Mac is a good deal. The older a machine you are buying, the sooner you are going to have to replace it unless your needs are extremely light-duty, and things like Blender don't fall into that category.

Look at the refurbished Mac section for the absolute best value for money on a slightly older Mac. It's not the cheapest you could find, but they have something no used Mac can offer -- a full warranty, and the option for adding the AppleCare extended warranty. From what you said it sounds like you could get along fine with a recent or new Mac Mini, which aren't expensive, but since Blender relies heavily on the graphics cards you will want to choose carefully which machine you eventually get as you'll want strong graphics performance over the next few years.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed Charlie. How well does the Mustang handle blending and 3D Rendering? Also suggest the retail value would be a tad more than a 2006 iMac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well Harry, I'm waiting for it to become an antique just like its owner. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
...AND my Mac is from late 2007!

Reaction score
I'm impressed with Apple equipment's longevity. There are a few things I'd pay attention to on an iMac such as the brightness of the screen and dead pixels. If I remember they ran a little hot in earlier eras which could pose problems with components but I've seen a few early models still running fine which again impresses me. I wouldn't expect to run the latest stuff on one and if you can adjust to that you probably will end up with a good bargain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I bought an early 2009 iMac for my mom. It's been on my second desk for a couple of months until I see her again, so I've been running the El Capitan Beta on it with great results. The screen is bright, the system is responsive, even with standard hard drive.

I can't vouch for performance of some of the apps the OP wants to run, but it definitely gives props to the longevity of Apple hardware in general.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
My 2007 15in MBP is still running strong. Put a 500GB SSD in it last year.

C

chas_m

I did the same to bring some extra spring into the step of my 2012 MacBook Pro. My desire to upgrade to a newer machine has abated for another year or two. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is bad chas m ~ very bad! Think of we poor shareholders my boy!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is bad chas m ~ very bad! Think of we poor shareholders my boy!

Yep, Apple shareholders did not exactly have a good run last week. Things are looking better this week though. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well Charlie still just a tad better than what I paid for them in 1999 from my retirement funds! If it was good enough for Bill Gates to keep Apple afloat it was good enough for me!

OP
E
Reaction score
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! :) Sorry I haven't responded so quick, I have been reading the messages here and there, however!

I had a conversation with my neighbour who, if I remember correctly, had some old Macs from years ago, I'd say models from the mid to late 90s. Anyways, he said that he had gotten rid of those, but still has an older Mac that is still in use. He didn't know which one it was exactly, except that it "looked like a waste basket" which I'm assuming he's talking about a Power Mac G5, which ran from 2003-2006. These run on PowerPC processors though, but I thought I'd share this just to add to the stories of how long most Apple products last. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! :) Sorry I haven't responded so quick, I have been reading the messages here and there, however!

I had a conversation with my neighbour who, if I remember correctly, had some old Macs from years ago, I'd say models from the mid to late 90s. Anyways, he said that he had gotten rid of those, but still has an older Mac that is still in use. He didn't know which one it was exactly, except that it "looked like a waste basket" which I'm assuming he's talking about a Power Mac G5, which ran from 2003-2006. These run on PowerPC processors though, but I thought I'd share this just to add to the stories of how long most Apple products last. :)

Well Erc123 - you've waited over a week to reply back to your thread after many posts wondering what exactly your intentions were in your initial post - I asked about your budget w/o a quick response, but assumed that you were interested in buying an older Mac machine to use - now your response seems to be a lack of real interest or one in an historic Mac of little use to anyone except as a collector's item - seems like a waste of time unless you have some other motive - please be more specific? Dave :)

OP
E
Reaction score
My main interest is an Intel iMac Pro, although since I've been seeing suggestions for more recent Macs, I've opened up to laptops, too, even though I was originally interested in a desktop. I've been looking on Craigslist and see a lot of under $500, so that is around my budget, although if there was one that I really wanted that was a bit more ($550-$600) I'd go for it, too. Most of the Apple computers I see that go for around there are usually before 2012 or 2011, and I've been reading this thread and others similar to this, and a lot of people have been saying these ones are pretty good for getting a lot done. Thanks for the replies. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.