Appleworks

Reaction score
I am a teacher and use Appleworks a lot for my school work. I run it on an old MacBook with OS 10.4.11. Sadly, it is on its way out. I would like to buy a used (or new older model) replacement that will run Appleworks. I searched eBay but all models seem to have updated OS. What do I need and where can I buy at a reasonable price? Can I still get the discs or download OS 10.4 if I were to buy a machine with a more recent OS system?

Many thanks,
Karl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

The problem is Karl, the final Appleworks, 6.2.9, released almost 12 years ago, requires PowerPC architecture to run,. and the final operating system to handle this, via Rosetta, was Snow Leopard OS X.6, also an old operating system as the new to be released on 20 Sept is version macos Sierra, OS X.12. Snow Leopard has been abandoned some years ago now by Apple who seem to run security and other updates for the two prior OS to the current one, so you would need a MBP capable of running Snow Leopard which will mean a pretty old machine. This will be an early MBP models 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 but be careful as the late 2011 used the same model numbers but will only run the later OS, Lion OS X.7.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...806217?hash=item1a1bb21889:g:244AAOSwgmJX1wPm

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Can I still get the discs or download OS 10.4 if I were to buy a machine with a more recent OS system?

The problem is if you do find a decent machine with a later OS, is that it will not likely be able to run Tiger. Only a machine that originally came with Tiger is going to be able to run it.

You need to upgrade not only your MacBook but also Apple Works. Your Apple Works files can be converted to the current Apple programs. In any event, keep your eye out on eBay and you might find something for a good price.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.