AppleCare vs. Store Warranty?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You have until your one year standard warranty expires. So that would be 364 days from the day you buy your laptop :black:

Reaction score
I havent looked at the fine print yet, but does AppleCare cover batteries? Ive never owned a Mac before. Is there anything part that Macs are known to fail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
AppleCare from Amazon

I've been searching around and see posts about buying AppleCare through eBay (which someone said was probably "hot") and Amazon. My question is how can you buy AppleCare through Amazon (not the marketplace sellers, but Amazon itself) and save $50? I mean, how does this work? Has anyone here bought AppleCare from Amazon and have experience using it for Mac trouble?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
So it doesn't matter from whom you purchase AppleCare... the registration will work?

Reaction score
I was about to buy a apple "but "

Something didnt fell right

that i was in a store and this "reps from apple" that what he said at this best buy

but what got me all "red flag" and deside NOT buy is the fact he lied

I ask him this

>If i buy a apple with the applecare can i sent this computer to any apple retailer/ reseller for service "since i didnt want this there extended warranty which is CRAP"

so he yea sure i can drop it off say best buy or compusa but when i go to an apple store a few block away i ask some question to see if it true or not "and guess what:read on"

i ask them do they sent out reps for there company
>yes they do but they dont work for apple but for best buy and other retail outlet but train in apple computer and how it work

i ask them also
if i buy applecare warranty can i sent my computer service at "best buy or compusa" or at any retail instead of going to an apple store
>they told me that i have to deal with apple directly since i bough the warranty for them not the retailer

so in the long run i bought a non-apple laptop but is "temporary" until next few month

M

MacHeadCase

I don't know where you got your info from, but Apple Care is great. And I would certainly not buy from a store like CompUSA, Best Buy or Future Shop where they don't know anything about Macs.

Reaction score
@The_Mini_Rigs,

Sounds like the person you talked to at Best Buy wasn't an Apple rep, rather an Apple "Professional" for that particular store. Stores like CC, BB, and CrapUSA like to label their employees with fake job titles.

If you want real answers, give Apple a call.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
Lol! The last time I went into Future Shop and asked about the Macs the salesman didn't even know that the glossy screen was an OPTION on the MBP. Future shop is only good so long as you can walk in, buy what you want, say no to their warranty and then walk out.

Reaction score
AppleCare is outsourced to India. Not good!

I already had to deal with a script-reading overly-polite
representative of Indian descent.

I have nothing against Indians, however when it comes to
something as crucial as Customer Support, everyone knows
how bad the language barrier makes communication difficult.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
I don't know where you got your info from, but Apple Care is great. And I would certainly not buy from a store like CompUSA, Best Buy or Future Shop where they don't know anything about Macs.

I wanted to revive this thread because I've been thinking about this lately. I agree with every point that if I ever wanted the computer serviced for OS or serious hardware issues I would want Apple to have it, I wouldn't want any retail store to touch it. Also, AppleCare has the huge advantage that it covers the OS and main applications associated with it.

Store warranties do have advantages that no one has touched on though:

1. Store warranty covers accidental damage from drops, screen breakage, "acts of god."
2. Store warranty covers battery when it begins to lose its charge.

Being that I work at Best Buy I have a little more leeway to take advantage of these two points, but they are still pretty big deals and other people can really benefit from them. A warranty that covers accidental damage is great because it will hold the value of what you spent. Should the computer incur a serious drop two years after purchased, assuming repair costs are high, you'll receive a credit for the price of what you paid towards a new computer. Thus, essentially holding the value of your computer for the length of the warranty.... that's pretty huge.

Reaction score
1. Store warranty covers accidental damage from drops, screen breakage, "acts of god."
2. Store warranty covers battery when it begins to lose its charge.

Not all store warranties cover this, and I've heard about people having issues getting a repair or replacement because of "abuse". As for the battery, doesnt AppleCare cover batteries also?

On a side note, I was just in a local electronics store, and at the front of the store they had a dry erase board posted with peoples names on it, with days of the week next to it. At the top it said "Extended Warranty Sales" or something similar. Most stores give big commission on selling these things because A.) they are a rip off and B.) because some people forget or are just to lazy to use the extended warranty. The board that I saw shows how much stores push to sell these things.

Reaction score
So far this year...

I bought APPLE CARE for my MacPro desktop just because
the darn thing cost $3000 and the additional $300 was a drop in
the bucket to make sure it was taken care of.

I bought APPLE CARE for my Video iPod because I know
how fragile those little players are.

However....

I am wrestling with the idea of having to pay an extra $350
for APPLE CARE for my MacBook Pro that I just bought.

I have owned a lot of laptops and never had an issue with any
of them. I must be lucky. The only way I might consider paying
for APPLE CARE is if it covered replacement due to me
accidentally dropping my MacBook Pro.

I'll go back and read the rest of this thread again -- but can
someone just confirm if my Macbook Pro would be covered
when the computer is dropped and/or screen breaks?

Reaction score
I'll go back and read the rest of this thread again -- but can
someone just confirm if my Macbook Pro would be covered
when the computer is dropped and/or screen breaks?

I'm almost 100% sure that it doesnt cover that, since its not really an insurance policy. I would recommend getting it though, even through normal use. Laptop components are expensive, and having it replaced under AppleCare is A LOT cheaper than dishing the money out later in parts/labor.

Reaction score
With the standard 1 year warranty you get with Apple does that cover the battery for the whole year, and does the extra 2 years with Apple Care cover the battery as well?.

Thanks

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
From the plan

b. Limitations The plan does not cover:

(ix) Consumable parts, such as batteries, except in respect of battery coverage under APP for iPod or unless failure has occurred due to defect in materials or workmanship;

So, at that point in time when the battery dies due to normal usage, you will not get a new one free from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
As Bob already stated, AppleCare DOES NOT cover the battery through normal use. It also DOES NOT cover any kind of physical damage or abuse.

Not all store warranties cover this, and I've heard about people having issues getting a repair or replacement because of "abuse". As for the battery, doesnt AppleCare cover batteries also?

On a side note, I was just in a local electronics store, and at the front of the store they had a dry erase board posted with peoples names on it, with days of the week next to it. At the top it said "Extended Warranty Sales" or something similar. Most stores give big commission on selling these things because A.) they are a rip off and B.) because some people forget or are just to lazy to use the extended warranty. The board that I saw shows how much stores push to sell these things.

Every large retail store that I know of at this point offers an accidental damage warranty on notebooks, it just might be more expensive than a standard, non-accidental. Be it, Best Buy, Circuit City, Comp USA...

Of course there is lots of margin to be had from selling warranties. This isn't a retail secret or anything. Nothing wrong in rewarding employees for selling them. Whether it be monetarily or through praise, this depends on the store. They can be very beneficial for customers, I've seen plenty of customers take full advantage of accidental warranties.

Reaction score

Tsk Tsk I hope a lot of people don't think that way. It's basically insurance, anything can happen to your computer no matter how well you think you treat it and some people like having there computer protected after the 1 year warranty and the convenience of not even having to deal with the manufacturers and having it repaired right at the store. And for the record CompUSA doesn't offer a warranty because it would conflict with Apple Care but we offer a seperate screen protection warranty. Not only that, but pushing warranties also relives stores from customers who try to return merchandise after the return policy.

Reaction score
Yea, about the replacement for damage... Isnt that a significant difference between apple care and big box retail warranties?

However, there is also the case of student discount vs. marked up retail prices. =(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.