• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple wipes the floor with Psystar in court, EULA upheld.

Reaction score
It should be interesting to see what happens to the other international companies that are starting to do the same thing. I have a feeling this is going to turn into a game of 'whack a mole' until Apple either finally gives in and starts licensing or does a more effective encryption scheme (and who knows how much Apple hardware that will alienate).

Clamping down would certainly be in character for Steve Jobs, but somehow I don't see this issue as having gotten big enough to warrant the full weight of his temper.

But to the point of licensing, Apple under Steve Jobs will never do it. Jobs believes in complete solutions. OSX is as much a part of the Mac experience as much as the almost-complete silence of a Mac Pro. Separating OSX to run on some fugly Dell would be sacrilegious.

After Jobs retires, who knows what will happen. But for now, my money is on OSX staying monogamous with Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
But to the point of licensing, Apple under Steve Jobs will never do it. Jobs believes in complete solutions. OSX is as much a part of the Mac experience as much as the almost-complete silence of a Mac Pro. Separating OSX to run on some fugly Dell would be sacrilegious.

After Jobs retires, who knows what will happen. But for now, my money is on OSX staying monogamous with Apple.
All talk of Jobs' personality and "sacrilege" aside, Apple has tried licensing the Mac OS before. It was a disaster. There wasn't enough revenue from the licensing to replace the revenue from the hardware they didn't sell.

Blame Steve Jobs or simple economics, but the OS business doesn't work for small minority players. And lots of companies (IBM, Be, Next, Digital Research) have tried and failed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I am very happy that Apple stood up and went against these guys. I hope they go after the tablet makers too, it will definitely hurt their image if(when) they release their tablet. I am happy about their win because I believe if they let people mimic their computers like Psystar, they eventually turn to a company similar to ones that run windows. I like the way Apple computers are set up...small market, low viruses, exclusivity. Go Apple!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am very happy that Apple stood up and went against these guys. I hope they go after the tablet makers too, it will definitely hurt their image if(when) they release their tablet. I am happy about their win because I believe if they let people mimic their computers like Psystar, they eventually turn to a company similar to ones that run windows. I like the way Apple computers are set up...small market, low viruses, exclusivity. Go Apple!

Are you talking about the Axiotron Modbook? If so, that *is* an officially licensed product. It's really just a modified MacBook that Axiotron buys straight from Apple with their full endorsement to modify and resell it.

http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=company

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Really, I never knew that. So, if they have such close ties with Apple, and Apple is in agreement with them, why are we not allowed to talk about them on here? just a question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Bummer. Too bad they couldn't work out a "franchise" deal or something. Ah well, such is life.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Really, I never knew that. So, if they have such close ties with Apple, and Apple is in agreement with them, why are we not allowed to talk about them on here? just a question

What are you talking about? You're fully allowed to discuss the Modbook here at Mac-Forums

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you talking about? You're fully allowed to discuss the Modbook here at Mac-Forums

Yep. I've seen a number of threads asking about it - never shut a thread down that I know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I remember someone(new member) talking about the tablet modbook and the post just disappeared. I guess it must have been something else because I even searched for it by the title and nothing came up...

Reaction score

It's the same deal when Apple released the iPhone. They went against Microsoft Windows Mobile and RIM's Blackberry OS. And Apple is still winning here: They're second behind RIM and behind Apple is either Android, Windows or Palm (I forget). The iPhone OS (much like RIM Blackberry) is singular, which means one code fits all. Developers have noted that it is harder to develop for Android and Windows both because they're on so many devices.

If there's an OS that Apple will use that is their own, it will most likely be either another spin off of the Mac OS X kernel (like iPhone OS) or it will use Mac OS X albeit with some programs added/taken off. If anything, Apple could go either way. It is their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
LOL I love the " waaaa lemme use OS X!" posts. You whiners DO realize that if they did that, the company and its great products would cease to exist right?

Reaction score
LOL I love the " waaaa lemme use OS X!" posts. You whiners DO realize that if they did that, the company and its great products would cease to exist right?

Name an OS from Apple recently that didn't use a piece of Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Pardon? What does that have to do with my post?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Name an OS from Apple recently that didn't use a piece of Mac OS X.

That makes no sence at all. Quoted for posterity. And quite funny too. All OS's use peices from themselves. They use all of themselves too. I fail to see the point of your post though.

Reaction score
That makes no sence at all. Quoted for posterity. And quite funny too. All OS's use peices from themselves. They use all of themselves too. I fail to see the point of your post though.
I was quoting ZorroAMG on the fact "that if they did that, the company and its great products would cease to exist right?" on how us whiners say "lemme use OS X!"

Here: let me sum it up:

"LOL I love the " waaaa lemme use OS X!" posts. You whiners DO realize that if they did that, the company and its great products would cease to exist right?"

If that were true, then why does the iPhone OS use part of the kernel from Mac OS X 10.5? Why do all Mac's come with Mac OS X 10.x? Because it's the only OS that Apple makes! If and when Apple releases this tablet, what do you think that OS will be based off of? Mac OS X! That's why I said in response: "Name an OS from Apple recently that did not use a piece of Mac OS X." Should I reword it?

Here: Name an OS that Apple has used recently that IS NOT a piece of Mac OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here: Name an OS that Apple has used recently that IS NOT a piece of Mac OS X.
Why would I care? That was never my question or the direction of my comment.

DUDE, you still make NO sense. Apple products are partly selling and a large part great BECAUSE of OS X. If they allowed OS X to be used on any machine, they would lose revenue on computer sales; their largest profit margin. This would spell fail as a company eventually, since their product base is very small. I'm not interested in letting Apple become a software company, are you?

It's their product and their right, I hope they never satisfy your demand in that respect, sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I think that's what he's getting at. He's saying that Apple is so successful because it's using OS X or a derivation of it in all of its products. Granted, his wording is indeed awful.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Play nice folks, don't make me start quoting rule #1 :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Playing nice, just...nice drill Sargent instead of nice puppy. :D

PS Kash, no I don't think that's what he's saying at all, maybe it is the wording but I doubt it. Tangents abound.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.