Apple TV Remote control on Mac Mini

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Im new to Mac (havent used one since the mid 90's so im assuming theyve changed a little bit since then :p )

I have an Apple TV remote (my folks had 2, so they gave me one), I have synced it to my Mac Mini. Its properly paired, however when attempting to use it, it just launches itunes.

I primarily use Plex (whilst i couldnt find an official Plex app for the Mac i was able to use the Google Chrome Apps version successfully) and would love to be able to use the remote control to pause/play, select a show/movie and raise/lower the volume

Does anyone know a way i can manually change the configuration of the remote controls buttons?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I don't use it, and don't know, but did even go to their downloads site??? if you need it:
https://www.plex.tv/downloads/

And FWIW, we hardly ever used our Apple TV remote as it always seemed so restricted as to what it couldn't do. But I did setup and program an older logitech Universal Remote to control the Apple TV and all the rest of the connected media stuff: TV, Audio receiver/Tuner/PVR etc. Then just one remote needed for everything and it all worked.

Anything used on our Mac or iDevices we just used the airplay option to play it via the Apple TV if we wanted, as long as the appropriate devices were turned on and powered up.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I still have an Apple Remote that works (not the ATV remote, the other one) with a special device called "Mira" from Twisted Melon. It works pretty good.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.