Apple Security Gone Crazy

Reaction score
All, seems like the Apple security has gone crazy. First is was a required password to use anything, then came the two factor ID, which is forced on us. Now, just found out, if you sign in with the wrong password three times, you could be locked out, until you do an Account Recovery process that can take a WEEK! I've tried to use the same password from day one, but Apple won't let me, however, I religiously record it in my data base, and also use something that's personal to me, so I don't forget. However, I've had Apple change or delete my password so it doesn't work.
I've send suggestions to Apple to allow only one password and it's fallen on deaf ears. I don't use facial recognition, fingerprint OR a pass code for any of my devices (so my GF can use my phone/IPad in case of an emergency.
Is there a way to totally eliminate the two factor ID? Occasionally, I'm not with all my devices, and this shuts me down.

This is becoming a real PITA, and almost considering switching to Android .

Thoughts?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
We are not Apple and are beholden to the same things. In some cases, you have to force people's hand to be more secure since some people don't choose the options available to them.

There is very little we can do for you here, if the way things are with Apple products doesn't work for you, then do switch to something else.

OP
L
Reaction score
We are not Apple and are beholden to the same things. In some cases, you have to force people's hand to be more secure since some people don't choose the options available to them.

There is very little we can do for you here, if the way things are with Apple products doesn't work for you, then do switch to something else.
Raz,
Totally understand, however, this IS a Mac (Apple) forum, and just thought that others might be sharing the same concerns and may have some solutions, thus the post. No, I don't want to abandon Apple and start over, I want to IMPROVE Apple and give us flexible choices. Apple often doesn't give a choice, but that doesn't mean we can't get them to change.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" Late 2013 16gbRam 500gb SSD Drive
Use a passcode and tell your girlfriend the number, It's a pain, but that is the way I do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Why not use a password for yourself, and allow your girlfriend to use Face ID/FingerPrint?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Apple gives you some alternatives its for security options. A second person use face ID on your devices as needed. How to Add Second Person to Face ID on iPhone and iPad % You an also add a second fingerprint although I don't remember which version of IOS introduced that feature/

As has been suggested, you can of course let someone else know the passcode for your devices/Apple accounts if you choose to do so.

They have also recently added a means for someone you trust to access information in the event of your demise. Choose your Legacy Contacts wisely

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Raz,
Totally understand, however, this IS a Mac (Apple) forum, and just thought that others might be sharing the same concerns and may have some solutions, thus the post. No, I don't want to abandon Apple and start over, I want to IMPROVE Apple and give us flexible choices. Apple often doesn't give a choice, but that doesn't mean we can't get them to change.
I fall on the side of security, so I welcome forcing this on people as often as possible. People need to adapt as time goes on.

Now, the whole idea of adding this level of security is to keep your information secure and private. If others have access to it, you've lessened your security level.

Again, this is a personal choice that you have to make. In an emergency, others can use your phone to dial specific people or emergency services without unlocking the phone. I wouldn't want others to unlock my phone without my giving permission to them anyway. But that's just me.

But do understand that Apple and other companies are heading/trending toward enforcing these practices more often than making it a recommendation.

For example, most employers now require you to enable 2FA to access any company related material, that's just a basic requirement now.

I enable 2FA on everything I ever use that holds anything remotely valuable to me.

The consequences of lax security in this day and age of hackers/phishers/spammers is dire indeed.

OP
L
Reaction score
I fall on the side of security, so I welcome forcing this on people as often as possible. People need to adapt as time goes on.

Now, the whole idea of adding this level of security is to keep your information secure and private. If others have access to it, you've lessened your security level.

Again, this is a personal choice that you have to make. In an emergency, others can use your phone to dial specific people or emergency services without unlocking the phone. I wouldn't want others to unlock my phone without my giving permission to them anyway. But that's just me.

But do understand that Apple and other companies are heading/trending toward enforcing these practices more often than making it a recommendation.

For example, most employers now require you to enable 2FA to access any company related material, that's just a basic requirement now.

I enable 2FA on everything I ever use that holds anything remotely valuable to me.

The consequences of lax security in this day and age of hackers/phishers/spammers is dire indeed.

Thx, all, for the replies. I don't like someone forcing security on me... I want the choice. I've NEVER had an issue with my level of security from years ago, but in the past few years, it's cost me countless hours and headaches to fix and deal with... and, I have NO critical info on my phone, and what's important, I protect with my own forms of security.

I don't patronize any venue that has security.... planes, concerts, etc., don't like crowds anyway. I worked in an environment where security was overboard, and I'm just DONE. I could go on, but not the point..... just want my own choices.... not Apples.

I know, sometimes we have to put up with it, and sometimes it's good, like in banking. but......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Use a passcode and tell your girlfriend the number, It's a pain, but that is the way I do it.
My wife and I have registered both our fingerprints on out phones and iPads (as well as knowing each others passcodes). Saves so much hassle.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
All, seems like the Apple security has gone crazy. First is was a required password to use anything, then came the two factor ID, which is forced on us. Now, just found out, if you sign in with the wrong password three times, you could be locked out, until you do an Account Recovery process that can take a WEEK! I've tried to use the same password from day one, but Apple won't let me, however, I religiously record it in my data base, and also use something that's personal to me, so I don't forget. However, I've had Apple change or delete my password so it doesn't work.
I've send suggestions to Apple to allow only one password and it's fallen on deaf ears. I don't use facial recognition, fingerprint OR a pass code for any of my devices (so my GF can use my phone/IPad in case of an emergency.
Is there a way to totally eliminate the two factor ID? Occasionally, I'm not with all my devices, and this shuts me down.

This is becoming a real PITA, and almost considering switching to Android .

Thoughts?
My brother went through that and it was so bad that they had to set up a new Apple ID. With the new ID came a new email address but they didn't even tell him how to set up his old mail accounts so he called me. I got that working for him but it took 3 times for someone at Apple to give him a new ID. They wanted the original CC # that he used to buy the iMac and he no longer had that CC so he could not get in using that. It took weeks to get someone to help him.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.