• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple says selling new iPhones without power adapters will save 861,000 tons of metal

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
More of "save the environment" lame excuse from Apple. What they should have said is that leaving out the chargers is saving them $$. :mad:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
More of "save the environment" lame excuse from Apple. What they should have said is that leaving out the chargers is saving them $$. :mad:

No doubt they will also end up getting some "Carbon Credits" that they can add to their coffers!!!

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It was an environmental report, so they focused on environmental savings. The financial report may be where the savings for not making chargers appears.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It was an environmental report, so they focused on environmental savings. The financial report may be where the savings for not making chargers appears.

Oh they will show the "savings" for not including the charger while they reap the additional income from the sales of chargers for those who have to purchase one. Canny and smart on Apples part. Someone got a pay raise for that suggestion... :unsure:

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
They also 'forgot' to take into account the fact that sales of 3rd party chargers will increase to compensate for their parsimony.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
They also 'forgot' to take into account the fact that sales of 3rd party chargers will increase to compensate for their parsimony.
But that's NOT Apple's problem, right? I don't need more chargers, I have a half dozen of them. I didn't miss it with the new iPhone. But I can see where maybe a first time buyer might be miffed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't need more chargers, I have a half dozen of them. I didn't miss it with the new iPhone. But I can see where maybe a first time buyer might be miffed.

Apple and some other's reasoning/excuse would make more sense aInd be a bit more understandable If the whole industry could get their "stuff" together and come up with some sort of Standard, especially as far as connectors go, and possibly use a power supply they have on hand.

Heck, even if they didn't have one, I cannot remember a time I haven't been into any Thrift Store and see they have baskets or boxes full of power supplies, but the cable and/or connector would be incompatible. Another real waste!!!

But I see a lot of new homes and even older homes where a standard electrical receptacle has been replaced with a receptacle that combines a pretty universal USB charging port. Now, all we need is a pretty standard cable with proper compatible connections that can be used with them, but they probably exist already, but not at all good Dollar/Computer stores.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
But I see a lot of new homes and even older homes where a standard electrical receptacle has been replaced with a receptacle that combines a pretty universal USB charging port.

How about newer homes being built already wired for WiFi? With the average price for a home in my neighborhood approaching $500K, everything is already built in except for paying the property taxes. Just received my new appraisal from the county tax authority; unbelievalbe rise in value. Lucky for us our taxes are frozen since we are in the senior citizen category. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lucky for us our taxes are frozen since we are in the senior citizen category. :)

Lucky for you to have them frozen, and even though most home property taxes are rising in our area, our municipality gives seniors the option to defer the taxes until one stops or the house sells.

If you would like some sticker shock of home prices skyrocketing in our Greater Victoria area, try this:
According to Greater Victoria Real Estate Board statistics, the median house price in Greater Victoria in January was $975,000 and the average price hit a new all-time of $1.22 million, partially due to a rise in luxury home sales.

All recent private home sales around our rural area have been heading over the $1 million price mark. Who would have believed it???

And yes, a lot of houses in this area for at least the last 10+ years have been built with wired in networking and wireless capabilities, but many of the devices used still need to be charged up which requires a power adapter or power receptacle with charging ports built-in, and the latter seem to be becoming very commonplace.

We still seem to have our share of white wall-warts charging adapters, but not all of which are of the Apple brand as we find the particular third-party wall-wart charging adapters work better for our use.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air Retina (2019) & Macbook Pro Retina both on osMac 12, iMac 27' on os Mac 10.15.7
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
since new phones do not to come with chargers,we need to keep ones from old phones. well and dandy, but when i sold/donated my phone i included the charger.

so if purchase a new phone and want to sell/donate my old one...it must be without a charger. purchaser may not want it then!

have not looked into cost of apple charge cube. and can one use another brand?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You can use any good brand. There's probably a dozen or so chargers that are moderately priced on Amazon. But even with the new iPhones and the USB-C to lightning cable that comes with them, you can still use your older USB-A to lightning cable for charging.

We also donate our older iPhones and always include the charger and lightning cable with them.

Reaction score
Wow. That's a LOT of iphones. How much scrap metal can be in one of those little chargers? A fraction of an ounce each? That said, I rarely plug my 10s in since it has inductive charging. Same with the wife's 12 or whatever it is, I can't keep track.
The only thing I know for sure, is that if I want one of those little chargers, they're everywhere, and if I can't find an Apple, any 1A USB charger charges a phone. Probably best not to produce unnecessary e-waste, but Apple should provide those free of charge with a new iphone for the people who request them. I bet not many will miss or request them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
We have two iPhones at home, and we kept updating them every two years since iPhone 3. You can imagine how many of those cubes are sitting in a box full of old charges and cables. 47 percent of phones in the States are iPhones. I think it is a smart move for Apple to shop supplying the chargers.

The European Union is working on a common standard for chargers with that very purpose in mind - to reduce the number of old chargers, and to make sure that devices from any manufacturer could use universal chargers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
Not just saving, it also makes Apple $$. Anecdotal evidence...

When my better half and I replaced our iPhone 6s and 8 pro, we also ordered two 20W USB-C chargers, adding 19 bucks extra for each new iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
I hope you don’t think the chargers for your 6s and 8 Pro were free because you found them in the box...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 13 v11.1, i5 2.4 GHz, 256 GBs SSD, 8 GBs DDRs
I hope you don’t think the chargers for your 6s and 8 Pro were free because you found them in the box...
No, I don't, but it was an "add-on" cost for the iPhone 12's already higher price tag, than even the iPhone 8 pro was......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
since new phones do not to come with chargers,we need to keep ones from old phones. well and dandy, but when i sold/donated my phone i included the charger.

so if purchase a new phone and want to sell/donate my old one...it must be without a charger. purchaser may not want it then!

Or, they can buy it knowing they aren't getting one just like you did and use one that they likely already have.

Seriously, this is a nothingburger. I haven't even unpacked the ones that came with my last few iPhones. Right now I mostly just use an inductive charger plugged directly into the USB port on my surge protectors and the cables I use are some longer and more durable ones from Anker.

If you want to buy a charging cube, get the Anker Nano. Same size as Apple's iPhone charging cube with 3x the power output.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2017 running Mojave, iPhone 12, iPad 6th generation
thank you all for your comments. if I decide to get a new phone ill not worry about charger etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.