• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple rumored to possibly launch Snow Leopard OS June 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
So with my Core Duo MBP, SL won't work with it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not going to speculate what Apple has in plan for SL but if it was 64bit only (which I doubt), it wouldn't work with your Core Duo. That said, this article states that there will just be increased 64bit goodness. So, your MBP should work with it but you won't be able to utilize the enhancements and optimizations that come with running the 64bit code.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I'm not going to speculate what Apple has in plan for SL but if it was 64bit only (which I doubt), it wouldn't work with your Core Duo. That said, this article states that there will just be increased 64bit goodness. So, your MBP should work with it but you won't be able to utilize the enhancements and optimizations that come with running the 64bit code.

Well thats good, I do have a Core 2 Duo MB, so at least I can run it on that. But my work is buying me a new MBP around 2nd semester (I work at a school), so I'll be in 64bit heaven then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I for one can't wait for Sls release, however it does come with some trepidation albeit small things like how it'll perform on my Mini is what hampers my enthusiasm. that said it sure looks to be quite the nice uptick for Leopard which in itself is a great OS

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I for one can't wait for Sls release, however it does come with some trepidation albeit small things like how it'll perform on my Mini is what hampers my enthusiasm. that said it sure looks to be quite the nice uptick for Leopard which in itself is a great OS
If anything, it should perform better. The purpose of this release it to take Leopard, add some under the hood improvements and optimize it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 4GB, 250GB HDD-2.53C2D
Just waiting to get my hands on it :)

Reaction score
in OSX I get 60 frames per second whereas in Windows I get 125 frames per second.

As a film/broadcast professional, we all know that anything over 24fps, the human eye really can't tell any major difference difference. Between 60 and 125, well, I'd love to see the science that your human eye can see a difference.

One thing to remember, Snow Leopard will be Intel native coding, all apps to be SL "native" have to be re-coded from the ground up. That means no PPC, which is a good thing. Part of what is holding Windows back is it's trying to be too backwards compatible. This is true for any OS. OS X would scream right now if there were no coding to make it backwards compatible with PPC chips.

Being backwards compatible is nice, but at some point, you have to let the past go to really evolve.

Just food for thought.

BTW, the article is now dates, as dates and schedules for WWDC 09 have been set, and SL will not be "delivered", but non-beta SDKs will be made available to third party vendors. Realistically look at SL being released to the public to actually run Macs in Aug or Oct. At least, is the most logical thing Apple will be doing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 2.53GHz, 4GB, Snow Leopard + iPhone 3G
That's Leopard, not Snow Leopard ;).

Ah sorry. I meant that since that box set is out, it would be likely that snow leopard will replace leopard in the item. Plus, its a new item. What do you think?

Reaction score
I just got a new MBP that was delivered June 1..

do you think they will let me upgrade free or for a reduced price?

Reaction score
I Believe they will do what they did with Leopard. They allowed anyone a free upgrade if they were still under warranty.

if you got it June 1, 2009 and they release it in december then i believe you could, but if they release it June 5 2010 then you would have to pay $79.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Apple didn't do that with Leopard. If you had bought a Mac within a set of dates that Apple had laid out, then you could upgrade to Leopard for only $10. Apple never offered it for free, and certainly didn't cover a whole year's worth of purchases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I wish they would offer a Snow Leopard,ilife and iwork 09 combo pack for a savings like they offered for Leopard a couple of months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MacBook - 2.16GHz, 2GB RAM, 500GB HD iPhone Specs: white 3GS - 32GB
I wish they would offer a Snow Leopard,ilife and iwork 09 combo pack for a savings like they offered for Leopard a couple of months ago.

I agree. I would 100% buy this. In fact, Snow Leopard is the reason why I haven't upgraded to iLife and iWork '09, since I'm hoping those will just come with the OS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
They won't, you'll either have to buy them separately or perhaps get the bundle if it's offered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15.4" 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Since it's July...I guess this didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.