• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple previews Mountain Lion, next version of Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, I suppose. But compared with other OS X releases, this is definitely one of the "faster" ones.

Lion isn't necessarily "bad" either, but with it's mixed reviews, some saying it's a bit of a step backwards even, I can't help but think Apple is trying to correct it with "Mountain Lion"

I'm also worried about all of this iOS integration. iOS is good on my iPhone, where it belongs. Not running on my desktop Mac.

I've never considered Lion a step backwards. iCloud? Yes, Lion, No.

Having read through several reviews and Apples web site, I don't think it's iOS on the desk top. I think it's more of an integration strp between the desktop and the mobile devices, in a good way, while leaving OSX as a robust and capable desktop OS. I like the increased caoabiliteds of iCloud syncing, the new iMessage and other things that will make it easier for those of us with multiple devices to keep what we want to keep synced synced and share data across all devices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
I've never considered Lion a step backwards. iCloud? Yes, Lion, No.

Having read through several reviews and Apples web site, I don't think it's iOS on the desk top. I think it's more of an integration strp between the desktop and the mobile devices, in a good way, while leaving OSX as a robust and capable desktop OS. I like the increased caoabiliteds of iCloud syncing, the new iMessage and other things that will make it easier for those of us with multiple devices to keep what we want to keep synced synced and share data across all devices.

As long as they leave OS X in it's current basic state, and these changes do not badly alter or hinder the overall performance of it, I don't mind at all. From their standpoint it does seem like a very good idea, more people start out with an iOS device and move onto a Mac later. If Apple can make that transition any easier than it already is, without hurting those who have been using OS X for years in the process, maybe Mountain Lion will be a better update than Lion was. (in my opinion) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Well having had my fingers burned recently with upgrades and updates I can't say I'm impressed. There is a touch of the Pavlov's Dog about this.

I think Apple have found a cute way to charge for a software update by attaching a few baubles.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
John Gruber of Daring Fireball was given early access to the developer preview and received a presentation on it and Apple's plans. Apple is moving to annual iOS-like updates with OS X. He has plenty of thoughts and insight on why. But basically, no, it's NOT because they feel they screwed up Lion (which they didn't).

Daring Fireball: Mountain Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It feels like Lion just came out....

True, it does.

I guess Apple recognized that Lion was a bit of screw up, and are trying to correct it with releasing this "Mountain Lion"

Nonsense.

I better pick up a copy of Snow Leopard while I still can. I don't even have a computer that supports it, but I don't want to get stuck with Lion when I do buy an Intel Mac.

Waste of money. It lacks drivers for newer hardware and won't run on future hardware revisions.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Me too. It looks like my early 2008 MacBook is on its last OS X update. I suspect it's because of the integrated graphics chipset (Intel GMA X3100) not being robust enough for the "toughness" of the Mountain Feline. :) But my iMac is OK.
I'm using the same MB right now so I know the feeling. ;)

OK, so I know this is an early preview and it's still very Lion-esque (much like how early Windows builds are essentially the same as the previous version) but there didn't appear to be anything in there that would preclude my MB from using it well. It makes me think either Apple is planning something or they're simply phasing out support for older models (regardless of whether or not they work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Waste of money. It lacks drivers for newer hardware and won't run on future hardware revisions.

I never buy new. If I can get a new Mac anytime soon, it would probably wind up being a Mid 2007 or Early 2008 iMac. If it comes installed with Lion, I'm downgrading, as I still have way too much PowerPC software to go without Rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Kinda on the fence about this one, from what we know right now I think this should've been a 10.7.X update.
Only thing that I really like so far is the Gatekeeper software firewall (Which they hopefully will not abuse to push their MAS) Other than that I see no reason to upgrade… but thats what we say every time a update arrives ;)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I'm using the same MB right now so I know the feeling. ;)

OK, so I know this is an early preview and it's still very Lion-esque (much like how early Windows builds are essentially the same as the previous version) but there didn't appear to be anything in there that would preclude my MB from using it well. It makes me think either Apple is planning something or they're simply phasing out support for older models (regardless of whether or not they work).

Agreed 100%.

They CLAIM that your Machine will NOT Boot into a 64-Bit Kernel. You can easily check that. I believe they are trying to get us to buy new macs. Well I am poor, so are you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
They CLAIM that your Machine will NOT Boot into a 64-Bit Kernel.
They can claim that but sysctl doesn't lie (0 is returned for a non-64bit machine, 1 for a 64bit machine):
~ :: sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable
hw.cpu64bit_capable: 1
I believe they are trying to get us to buy new macs. Well I am poor, so are you.
Oh, how I know what it's like to want/need new gear while unable to purchase it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
According to that, it looks like Lion is as far as my trusty MB will go. Yet another reason to buy a new Mac! ;)

Are you that hungry for a heaping helping of "Meh..." ?

:D

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you that hungry for a heaping helping of "Meh..." ?

:D

Steve Jobs from his grave says you are wrong. Says Mountain Lion is the most Revolutionary and most powerful and best OSX of them all put together! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
I'm a bit surprised they are moving this quickly to the next version of OS X.
I think they're beating Microsoft at their own game by releasing a "new" OS with superior mobile function integration at the same time as / just before Microsoft releases their some what clumsily mobile-integrated OS Windows 8, while sacrificing no desktop functionality like Win8 - for no good reason I can see - will do.

I say "new" as it does seem like a bit of a fudge; OS X 10.8 does seem to be (from what we've heard so far) little more than a slightly expanded/refined version of Lion - more like OS X 10.7.x - rather than a full update. That said, Mac OS version numbers have always been a bit arbitrary; were it not for maintaining the OS X brand we'd be up to OS 17.3 by now...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't forget the dollop of cottage cheese . . . ;)
Ah, you're doing it wrong. It's cheese curds. This is why you guys don't appreciate the heart attack inducing glory that is poutine. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.