Apple pencil or clone

Reaction score
I use an app with my telescope that has very small "buttons" that can be challenging to hit accurately. I'd like to get a stylus of some kind. My iPad is old enough that I can't take advantage tot new 2 Gen Apple Pencil, and the older one is still pushing $100. I don't draw or write on my iPad, just want to stop "fat fingering" (literally) on these apps. Is there a cheaper stylus out there that will work with IOS devices without all of the Apple bells and whistles (and ($$)?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks! Something I hadn't thought of, but all of these talk about recharging. If all I want is a precise tip that emulates my fingertip, I can't figure out why I would need a rechargeable pencil. Can I assume these will work "dead"? Otherwise that's just one more thing I need to worry about...

OP
M
Reaction score
I guess I should be more specific...my iPad is the 105" iPad Pro (MPDY2LL/A). I found a pen I liked but it specifically said it won't work on this model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks! Something I hadn't thought of, but all of these talk about recharging. If all I want is a precise tip that emulates my fingertip, I can't figure out why I would need a rechargeable pencil. Can I assume these will work "dead"? Otherwise that's just one more thing I need to worry about...

You don't need a chargeable stylus. But now that you mention it, I don't know that a chargeable one will work dead. So.... let's do this. Search for an iPhone stylus.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=iphone+stylus+pen&crid=2F1PUJQO1NYKD&sprefix=iphone+stylus,aps,136&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_13&tag=macforums0e4-20

Here's one example from that search:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LMWYWFM/?tag=macforums0e4-20

In the details:

Are Batteries Included
No
Batteries Required?
No
【Universal Capacitive Stylus】Compatible with all capacitive touch screen devices, including iPad, iPad Pro, iPhone, Android tablets & smart phones, Samsung galaxy and so on.

This is just one of the hits. Look for pens similar to this... they all look very much the same. Also check for details similar to the above. Find one that you fancy, and good to go!

EDIT: Also, take a look at the reviews. Here's part of one you can relate to!

I got these mainly for playing games on my phone. I have what you might call fat finger syndrome, or as Dwight says, hot dog fingers. Touching just one item on a game is difficult sometimes, especially with my brain condition and shaky fat fingers. The stylus is immensely helpful for that. It is completely smooth, so might be difficult to hold for some.

That review makes a good point... a lot of these, if not all of them, are metallic and could be slippery to hold. But, I think being metallic is necessary for them to work with capacitive touch screens without being battery powered. YOU are the battery, so to speak.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.