Apple neglects to patch multiple critical vulnerabilities in macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I don't consider that a leak. I'd consider it a leak if Finder never gave that memory back when something else needed to use it. If memory filled up, and then when there was a demand for memory, and the Mac gave an "out of memory" error and couldn't proceed, I'd consider that a leak.
None are so blind as those who will not see.
SSD's do exactly as you describe too. You trash something on your drive, and the registers aren't instantly erased. They are only marked as "available." If you have TRIM enabled, when there is a quiet period TRIM will go and do garbage collection on those registers. If you don't have TRIM enabled, the data will stay put until you go to write something else, and then they will be erased.
Entirely different thing. And TRIM seems to be no longer used in Apple Silicon as there is no evidence of it anywhere in the system description for internal storage.
The bottom line is that no one except for techie curmudgeons (maybe only one; Hoakley) are complaining. Users aren't being inconvenienced. In fact, most of the reviewers have been saying that Apple Silicon is supremely light on RAM use:
Not just Howard Oakley, but every one of those articles have lots of comments from others experiencing the same thing.

And here is just the first page of a search with "Mac Finder memory leak" as the search terms.
Screenshot 2023-12-12 at 7.00.59 PM.jpg
You can see folks complaining about it on Reddit, macrumors, apple, 9to5mac, techarp, etc, etc, etc.

But hey, what do I know? I have only been in computing from the 1970's before Apple even existed...

I'm done. Bellieve what you want.

Reaction score
Even Hoakley describes the memory leak in Sonoma:

"... generally quite small and unlikely to cause much of a problem in general use."

Reading through the suddenly indignant posts in response to Hoakley's article, I note that no one is complaining of out-of-memory errors, or their Mac refusing to work due to this memory leak.

We live in an age where everyone wants to see drama at every turn. Everyone thinks that any minor problem is due to a huge conspiracy against them. Everyone wants to loudly whine and complain about how this incredibly minor thing is a huge failing of Apple. SMH

As I said previously, if you are computing with one eye on Activity Monitor, and what Activity Monitor is showing you is your only reason to complain...you are only looking for reasons to be upset. It's like having a Corvette, and pressing down on the gas pedal, being pushed HARD back into your seat, and then complaining that your car is a slug because the speedometer needle didn't jump up like you expected it to.

How many people here on this discussion forum of over a quarter million users are complaining that their Macs are always running out of memory because of a memory leak?

Anyone who knows even a little about how computers work knows that no software is perfect. It might even be impossible to get it perfect given unlimited time and resources. The question is whether it works well in practice, and whether you can get your work done without any aggravation. If you can't do the latter, you should definitely switch to a better computing platform where you can.

Reaction score
...And TRIM seems to be no longer used in Apple Silicon as there is no evidence of it anywhere in the system description for internal storage.

Apple's OS no longer indicates whether your Mac has multi-tasking enabled or not either. Does that mean that your Mac isn't capable of multi-tasking, or is it an indication that it is always on and hence it is irrelevant to indicate it's state?

It's clear that TRIM still exists in the Mac OS. As of Monterey, the Mac OS can enable TRIM on third party external SSD's formatted as APFS (with some caveats):

https://www.journaldulapin.com/2021/12/24/trim-usb-monterey/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0
@MacInWin and @Randy B. Singer I think you have both made your points, please can agree to differ and move on, this bickering does not show the forum in a good light - thank you :)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@MacInWin and @Randy B. Singer I think you have both made your points, please can agree to differ and move on, this bickering does not show the forum in a good light - thank you :)

When people with great minds differ, it is because they challenge each other to think differently and this can lead to a better understanding of the problem; and hence to better solutions. ;) ;)

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
And with that, I think we've run the course on this particular topic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.