• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple finally releases new Mac Pro, iMac and Mac mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 2.66 C2D 2gb Ram
You guys think im better buying a 24" refurb (256 mb vc) than buying the new imac base model for a bit of world of warcraft right? And of course, learn Os x because it will be my first mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Nice to see the Mini finally updated. I use the one I already own as a media center for my television. The new one doesn't seem to do anything that I currently can not do however, so I'm sticking with the one i have. Still, it's definitely a step in the right direction for the Mini, however overpriced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
You guys think im better buying a 24" refurb (256 mb vc) than buying the new imac base model for a bit of world of warcraft right? And of course, learn Os x because it will be my first mac

Yes, definitely. If you want gaming, the HD2600 Pro is a lot better than the 9400M. It's still not great for really demanding games, but it'll handle WoW just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 iMac; 8gb DDR3 ram; ati mobility 4850; 1tb seagate harddrive @7200rpm
the new single quad core mac pro with nehalem microarchitecture looks very tasty for only 2300 usd (education discount.) especially considering one can upgrade to up to 8gb of ram for only a couple hundred.

But then again one could just spend a couple hundred more and get 8 core mac pro hm... apple makes it very tricky trying to buy things, with their steady incremental price increases.

Reaction score
First post here, but I have been following the forums for a while now.

Anyway, I've been following Apple for a couple years now and slowly but surely moving over to their products. First from switching from the Zune and going to the iPod Touch. Upgrading to the iPhone soon as well. I will soon be buying a mac, and going after an iMac. I waited longer and longer because I was hoping for a bit better "refresh." Would it now be better for me to go after a "refreshed" iMac? When I buy something, especially when it is technology related I must almost get the top of the line version. It is just how I am. Would it be beneficial for me to go ahead and get the top of the line version of the iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 4850? Can anyone speak for how well this card is? From what I am reading on the internet it seems to be quite powerful. What would y'all say for someone like me? Go after the new iMac or what?

PS: I honestly did look at the Mac Pros for a while since I like going all out on technology, but I just don't see myself putting that much down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::

Anyway, I've been following Apple for a couple years now and slowly but surely moving over to their products. First from switching from the Zune and going to the iPod Touch. Upgrading to the iPhone soon as well. I will soon be buying a mac, and going after an iMac. I waited longer and longer because I was hoping for a bit better "refresh." Would it now be better for me to go after a "refreshed" iMac? When I buy something, especially when it is technology related I must almost get the top of the line version. It is just how I am. Would it be beneficial for me to go ahead and get the top of the line version of the iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 4850? Can anyone speak for how well this card is? From what I am reading on the internet it seems to be quite powerful. What would y'all say for someone like me? Go after the new iMac or what?

PS: I honestly did look at the Mac Pros for a while since I like going all out on technology, but I just don't see myself putting that much down.

Well if you want a laptop on steroids then the iMac is for you. However I do caution you that once you purchase an iMac it is near impossible to upgrade anything except for the ram and once you do that you have nothing else to upgrade. If that sounds fine to you then the iMac will be great, but if you want something with a lot more leeway in what type of hardware you have and can change then you should get the mac pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Phenom X3 720, Radeon 4870 1GB, 6GB DDR2-800, 32" LCD TV
The Mac Pro isn't even a desktop computer, it's a workstation. If you're not sure if you need a workstation or not, then you don't. If you don't know what ECC RAM is and why it's important, then you also probably don't need a Mac Pro.

Honestly I'd go for the iMac because Mac Pros are not meant for consumers. They're $3000 for a reason.

Reaction score

if your gonna be doing high end graphic work, or using it as an audio workstation in a studio or out of your house, you definitly want a desktop. the mac pro would be your #1 suspect. If you dont want to put down that much money, ebay for a supped up g5 that is loaded or can take 8gb of memory with at least a 2.5 dual core. it will still perform the way you need it to. most apps released these days are capable with g5s. after thats all said, if your not doing any of that high end work, choose a imac or macbook, based on the portability you want. i just seen a 24" imac with a 2.8 core 2 duo for 1200 on the apple refurbished section. take advantage of the later models before these new ones. the older ones are going down in price and will still perform the way you want it to. you truely only need so much performance for what you wanna do, no need to have the latest thing out, people are still using g4s. just be SURE you want a mac and have used one, some people get it and hate the thing. good luck

Reaction score
if your gonna be doing high end graphic work, or using it as an audio workstation in a studio or out of your house, you definitly want a desktop. the mac pro would be your #1 suspect. If you dont want to put down that much money, ebay for a supped up g5 that is loaded or can take 8gb of memory with at least a 2.5 dual core. it will still perform the way you need it to. most apps released these days are capable with g5s. after thats all said, if your not doing any of that high end work, choose a imac or macbook, based on the portability you want. i just seen a 24" imac with a 2.8 core 2 duo for 1200 on the apple refurbished section. take advantage of the later models before these new ones. the older ones are going down in price and will still perform the way you want it to. you truely only need so much performance for what you wanna do, no need to have the latest thing out, people are still using g4s. just be SURE you want a mac and have used one, some people get it and hate the thing. good luck

Oh, trust me, I know I want a mac. I've never owned one but I have spent quite a bit of time in the Apple store lately (some of them know me already...lol), used one hands on, asked tons of question and more. The mac seems excellent for me.

Thanks everyone. I'm sure I'll be going after an iMac.

Reaction score
You shouldn't really be complaining, considering i paid my $1799 iMac a whooping sum of almost $3000 us dollars.

And updated models take one or two months after release to be sold by official resellers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
::24" 2.8ghz iMac w/ nVidia 8800GS::2.4Ghz Unibody Macbook::
I was kinda hoping they brought back the sleep light that they had on the white iMac's and the laptops. It's kinda cool :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I was kinda hoping they brought back the sleep light that they had on the white iMac's and the laptops. It's kinda cool :)

I totally agree. I love that feature on my white imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4Ghz, 4gigs RAM white macbook, Seagate Hybrid Drive =)
when i was buying my MacBook at the time i was also looking at getting a mac mini they are great for what i need i like the new updates on them, i will probably buy one next trip to the US ;-)

Reaction score
Hi all,

it seems to me that Apple haven't really updated the desktops, really just upgraded the graphics cards etc. Yes the iMacs come with bigger HDs but it doesn't really seem like they're that much *better* compared to the huge update of the Macbooks in October.

I was most surprised about the mini though. Only one processor speed etc, difference being HD and RAM. Though the number of ports on the back was a good outcome.

What are other opinions?
Stef

Stef, I just bought the mini after my macbook's logic board died. I got the mini because once I get some cash together, I'll repair my laptop so I can have a desktop and a laptop. Anyway.

I was going to buy the iMac the day before they released, and the reseller told me to hold off (because of the rumors). But I saw the new specs for the mini and it was a no brainer—it had the computing power that I needed for a much lower price point than the iMac.

My only complaint so far is that the internet seems to be running slow. I haven't deciphered if that's the computer or my connection (although I doubt it's my connection, but I can't see how it can be the new mini).

Reaction score
I have a G4 mac (need a refresh) was very tempted to go for an i7 pc to run my creative suite 4.

Do you think the new macbooks/pros or imacs rival this yet? (i know the specs on the pc destroy it - ati 4870 card, 6gb ram etc) but macs are macs and usually perform above their spec. I can get the PC for £900!!

Would you buy a new imac, macbook or get an i7 pc.

I was running CS4 on my macbook (1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) pretty handily. I don't know if they rival, but can def. hold their own.

Reaction score
I'm glad they made the Mini upgrade, but can't help to be a little disappointed in the low RAM and hard drive. I mean, you have to admit 120GB is pretty abysmal these days. I mean, it was the low-end HDD size for my MBP back in 2006! Luckily there are plenty of affordable external drives.

I've been itching to get one for an HTPC and think I might take some tax return money and finally pull the trigger.

it's targeted for "entry-level" consumers. So 120GB should be more than enough for the surf/e-mail crowd. I just bought a mini and it seems to work fine for the graphic design stuff that I work on. And I think that's the key—if you have a display and can get a less expensive external drive, why pay Apple's retail price?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For the user that said the new Mini only has one CPU speed, look at the high end model closely, there is a CPU upgrade at 2.26Ghz also but it does raise the price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.