Apple DVD player

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
I have an apple Superdrive and it works perfectly in my wife's iMac 12.5 " which is 2 years older than mine. Give or take, however it will not work on mine. I plug it directly into the back. She's running Catalina 10:15:7 late 2015 retina. I'm running 12:6:1

Any thoughts as to what gives?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm going to ask what may seem to be a stupid question:

How do you know that it's not working on your Mac?

I ask because:

1. You have to insert a CD/DVD into the Superdrive before it becomes "visible".
2. For it to be "visible" you need to make it so via Finder settings - where it can be seen in the Sidebar and/or the Desktop.

To do this:

Open Finder > Finder Preferences > General and make sure you have CDs, DVDs and iPods Ticked as below.

S1.jpg

Now Click on Sidebar (2 along from General) and under "Locations", Tick the boxes as shown below esp the one related to CDs etc

S2.jpg

That means that a functioning CD/DVD device like Superdrive with a CD or DVD inserted, will show up in the Desktop and in Finder Sidebar.

Of course, you may have all these settings already, but it's often the reason a Drive of any sort is not seen without them.

NB In both the General & Sidebar preferences, you'll notice that this applies to Hard Disks & External Disks as well.

Does that help?

Ian

OP
flyboyy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
Thanks! I had no idea after all these years that the Finder had prefs. Cool. So All were previously checked off.
And I just noticed that after all the time I've had the Superdrive it would never show up, but just before I read your message, I noticed the CD was mounted. Maybe someone is upstairs having fun with me. ; )

Really appreciate your explanation and I always know when I ask for help on this site that I am amazed at what answers I get !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.