• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple ARM And What It Means

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Great read, thanks Randy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Good article:

Quite interesting. I wish I knew more about how it all works.

I liked his comment which should become a classic:
Except… there’s Apple. Who, on occasion, is totally insane in interesting ways.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Intel Core i9/16GB Memory/500GB SSD/Radeon Pro 560X
Good article and I think the article explains a lot.

Has Apple confirmed whether they will be using some form of x86 emulation?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No, but we expect that we will see some sort of virtualization later on. Microsoft has done some work with an ARM surface machine but it hasn't gone anywhere. If MS can ever port Windows to ARM successfully, that will be a game changer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If MS can ever port Windows to ARM successfully, that will be a game changer.
I'm not sure they have any incentive to do that, and maybe a good incentive NOT to do that. Yes, Windows on ARM would allow them to have a full power Windows Surface with ARM silicon, which would be pretty sweet for them and the users who want one, but then that same same Windows could run on a Mac ARM MBA, or maybe even an iPad or iPhone. What's in it for them to give such capability to Apple? So they keep the ARM Windows crippled, not robust enough for an ARM laptop like the MBA. No reason to create competition. While Apple may or may not offer emulation of the x86, I think VMWare or Parallels may take on that challenge. Not soon and not efficiently, but enough to sort-of work. Over time maybe the emulators will catch up. Or maybe Intel will slide so far behind Apple Silicon that MS has to take some action to get Windows on ARM because other vendors will want it so they can ditch Intel. It's not so much the raw computing power of the chip, but the power usage that could increase battery life with Apple's Silicon. All Apple Silicon needs to do is match Intel's computing capacity and reduce the power demands and they have a winner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Intel Core i9/16GB Memory/500GB SSD/Radeon Pro 560X
Yes, Windows on ARM would allow them to have a full power Windows Surface with ARM silicon, which would be pretty sweet for them
It does already exist
While Apple may or may not offer emulation of the x86, I think VMWare or Parallels may take on that challenge.
Fully agree. I think in order for them to pull it off they will make a deal with the devil (Intel) and get access to a licensed technology to emulate the CPU's within the virtualization. Though I am off the opinion this would be better then what Micorsoft is now trying to do which is emulate application the ARM desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It does already exist
Yes, but my understanding from reading abut the Surface version is that it is NOT a full implementation of Windows. I don't have a Surface, just know what I read. If it's a full implementation of Win10, then maybe it can be installed on Apple Silicon?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As stated, MS is not going to go all out to develop Windows to run on ARM. Especially since the business world, governments, education, legal, etc, etc, are all running Windows on various Intel machines, there isn't going to be much incentive to change that.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
As stated, MS is not going to go all out to develop Windows to run on ARM. Especially since the business world, governments, education, legal, etc, etc, are all running Windows on various Intel machines, there isn't going to be much incentive to change that.
Windows doesn't come from Intel, it comes from Microsoft. Microsoft has little incentive to eschew alternate hardware platforms. The fact that there is a Microsoft Surface based on ARM already shows that they aren't interested in propping up Intel at all costs.

There is plenty of incentive for Microsoft to produce a version of Windows for ARM/Apple Silicon. The first is the same reason that Apple is moving away from Intel...Intel seems to be hitting their head on improving their processors. ARM-based processors may be the future. Microsoft wants their OS to run on whatever hardware platform is going to be popular in the future.

The second is simply money...if Microsoft can sell enough copies of Windows to folks with computers based on Apple Silicon, you can bet that they are going to be selling such a version. Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. If there is substantial money to be made selling a version of Windows (especially a version for which most of the development is already done), I think that they are likely to go after it. It's why there is a version of Microsoft Office for the Macintosh.

Only time will tell.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Windows doesn't come from Intel, it comes from Microsoft. Microsoft has little incentive to eschew alternate hardware platforms. The fact that there is a Microsoft Surface based on ARM already shows that they aren't interested in propping up Intel at all costs.

There is plenty of incentive for Microsoft to produce a version of Windows for ARM/Apple Silicon. The first is the same reason that Apple is moving away from Intel...Intel seems to be hitting their head on improving their processors. ARM-based processors may be the future. Microsoft wants their OS to run on whatever hardware platform is going to be popular in the future.

The second is simply money...if Microsoft can sell enough copies of Windows to folks with computers based on Apple Silicon, you can bet that they are going to be selling such a version. Microsoft is a software company, not a hardware company. If there is substantial money to be made selling a version of Windows (especially a version for which most of the development is already done), I think that they are likely to go after it. It's why there is a version of Microsoft Office for the Macintosh.

Only time will tell.

Charlie didn't say that Intel created Windows, so don't make random assumptions.

Microsoft has already abandoned their ARM version of Windows since it was largely an experiment with their Surface tablets which started out based on the ARM processor and failed miserably. They pivoted to using an Intel processor in them and trying to sell them as laptop replacements instead of tablets anyway.

Microsoft has and will continue to target the x86 (be it Intel or AMD) processors for Windows. The fact that Windows has been able to run on Intel-based Macs for the past few years is a bonus to them and not a driver for any business decision. The vast majority of computers out there are x86 based and run Windows, chasing after the small ARM-based Mac market is foolish on their part.

Additionally, MS has spent SIGNIFICANT amount of money and energy unifying their platforms for Xbox and PCs to allow for unified app development, they aren't going to mess that up now.

OP
Randy B. Singer
Reaction score
Charlie didn't say that Intel created Windows, so don't make random assumptions.

I didn't say that he had. Don't put words in my mouth.

I addressed the implication that Microsoft has some sort of vested interest in sticking with Intel hardware. I don't think that they do, and I think that there have been plenty of indications that Microsoft is willing to follow the money, not Intel.

Microsoft has already abandoned their ARM version of Windows

Do you have a citation for that?

I have a citation for the opposite:

"In a sea change, Apple Inc. and Microsoft Corp. are exiting Intel Corp.’s x86 processor architecture for their personal computers.
... Microsoft is also investing in Arm-based PC chips and PCs for Windows and is planning to remove the software migration barriers by 2021.
"The primary reasons for this transition are lower costs, a reduction in power requirements and a common platform enabling applications to run on smartphones, tablets and PCs."

Microsoft has and will continue to target the x86...chasing after the small ARM-based Mac market is foolish on their part.

I think that you need to do some reading to get updated on the situation that exists. Intel's processor roadmap may be tapped out. They can't keep up with even some of the Chinese chip manufacturers. Intel might not even be making chips in the future:

Intel Plunges as It Weighs Exit From Manufacturing Chips

Additionally, MS has spent SIGNIFICANT amount of money and energy unifying their platforms for Xbox and PCs to allow for unified app development, they aren't going to mess that up now.
Microsoft is going to go where the money is, and what makes sense for the future. Unifying on ARM makes a lot of sense for the future, and might even save Microsoft money. (Read the article that I cited above.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.