• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple announces 17" Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Well that’s your Opinion and I respect it.
But I am sure you could spec up a PC Laptop to beat it, for less.

One of the most important things on a Laptop for me is the screen.
When you’re getting a 17" note book, you are getting it because you want the most screen real estate.

1680 x 1050 Res is poor compared to the 1920x1200 you can get on PC centrino duo. I need all the screen real estate I can get(so do most people that buy 17").
I think it’s a poor effort from Apple not to offer 1920x1200 even as an option.
The Mac book pro is aimed at professionals and Apple will tout is as the best professional note book on the Market.
Well if it is such a professional tool what’s with the crappy 1680x1050?
I hope they make a revision in the future.
The more I look at other laptops features the more I want to hold off my MBP purchase.

Surely Pro’s would much prefer a 1920x1200 screen. (yes OMG it’s the same as a 23” cinema display!!) Now that’s what I’m talking about! That’s the way to roll!!

But of course the best thing about the MBP is it runs OSX. This is the main advantage of the MBP in my case.

If I was a PC manufacturer, I could easily source everything apart from the outer casing, keyboard and mag safe cord from the MBP.( I’m sure I forgot something else)
I could make a new PC laptop model with.
The exact same CPU
The exact same HDD or bigger and better
The exact same Graphics card or better
The exact same Ram
The exact same DVD drive
The exact same LCD screen and even better.
The exact same battery cell (the cell, not the same battery itself)
I could then make a motherboard with the exact same Chips as the MBP in near exact format.

Then I could make that Laptop in more or less the same format as the MBP.
Best thing is it will cost less. If there is not a PC laptop out there like this you can rest assured it wont be long till there is.

I remember when Apple Fans would say the G4 Powerbooks were better then the PC Laptops. Clearly that was not the case. Now Apple fans try to say the MBP is the best Laptop still. Even though now it’s exactly the same as a PC Laptop with less options to upgrade and a inferior screen. Sorry, that don’t wash with me. Common sense tells me it’s not so. Even though I do think it’s sexy and I love Apples design.

Reaction score
why do they say that the 15" with 2.16 is not as fast as the 17" with 2.16?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15
I know where you are coming from. The part I dont agree with you and you seem to be missing is that a computer is more than hardware. The ability to boot Linux, Windows and OS X is something that no other hardware manufacturers cant offer you. It's a simple fact that PC manufacturers cant do what Apple does. Look at the guts of the PowerMac G5. Its industrial design and engineering at its finest. The day someone else offers something on the level of craftsmanship, performance and integration as Apple for less is the day Apple licenses OS X.

As far as screen real estate I agree that you want the most bang for your buck when it comes to a notebook. But you have to take into consideration that the screen is only 17'' and already supports the res of the 20" CD thats the same amount of pixels in roughly 15% less space, 26% less than the 23" CD (inch wise). 1920x1200 works out to be 26% more pixels in about 26% less space. Combine that with a non resolution independent OS and its just not reasonable. For that I say bring on the 19" MBP.

You forgot the ambient light sensor for the backlit keyboard, Sudden Motion Sensor, scrolling trackpad and the iSight. Oh and the GPU is under clocked.

D

DigitalN.

another thing, when someone sees the glowing white apple logo when they pass by and see your laptop they either think A) ooh, hes rich or B) what a sweet laptop!

now when you see a laptop that is like 2" thick, has blue LEDs out of both sides, a back cover plate with a giant dell logo on the back, what do you think they think?

L

Left Face Down

DigitalN. said:
another thing, when someone sees the glowing white apple logo when they pass by and see your laptop they either think A) ooh, hes rich or B) what a sweet laptop!

now when you see a laptop that is like 2" thick, has blue LEDs out of both sides, a back cover plate with a giant dell logo on the back, what do you think they think?

Generally A, and I'm not sure because I totally despise Dell. Let me ask my room mate. Ok, apparantly they think it's "an affordable quality laptop that may not be the best, but it'll do the job." Actually my second room mate said "Apple is the best" when I told him I was looking into getting an Apple MBP. So atleast one of my room mates has a brain.

Reaction score
IronMac said:
I know where you are coming from. The part I dont agree with you and you seem to be missing is that a computer is more than hardware. The ability to boot Linux, Windows and OS X is something that no other hardware manufacturers cant offer you. It's a simple fact that PC manufacturers cant do what Apple does. Look at the guts of the PowerMac G5. Its industrial design and engineering at its finest. The day someone else offers something on the level of craftsmanship, performance and integration as Apple for less is the day Apple licenses OS X.

As far as screen real estate I agree that you want the most bang for your buck when it comes to a notebook. But you have to take into consideration that the screen is only 17'' and already supports the res of the 20" CD thats the same amount of pixels in roughly 15% less space, 26% less than the 23" CD (inch wise). 1920x1200 works out to be 26% more pixels in about 26% less space. Combine that with a non resolution independent OS and its just not reasonable. For that I say bring on the 19" MBP.

You forgot the ambient light sensor for the backlit keyboard, Sudden Motion Sensor, scrolling trackpad and the iSight. Oh and the GPU is under clocked.

I don’t really want to continue this.
But I must say the frag box from Falcon and Northwest and some of that Alienware Gear look pretty well designed and built to me.
There are better engineered PC's the G5. (not to belittle the G5).
The best engineered is the totally fanless PC that it totally silent. Now that’s Mad.
Not to mention what you can do if you custom build a PC, the sky is the limit.
The best one I seen was a PC in a millennium Falcon, Now that rocked.

I knew I forgot some stuff on the notebooks but other manufacturers would have there own variants of those things. I remember a PC laptop having a camera built in way before Apple thought of doing it although not Many PC laptops have this.

What’s with the underclocked Video cards? Are they just unstable or to hot?
As for Apples great engineering. I don’t think making a Laptop that you have to underclock the graphics card. That Moo's and whines and is so hot you cant put it on your lap if you want to have children is great engineering?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I am going to go with IronMac and DigitalN.

Reaction score
dimagex20 said:
I am going to go with IronMac and DigitalN.

Yes I dont expect anything else from Mac Fans.

That's just My Opinion and your entitled to yours.
I most likely wont be able to hold off.
I will have a 17" MBP soon and i am sure i will love it.
:doctor:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.