Apple AirTag: A Hands-on Review

Reaction score
I've reviewed almost every Bluetooth tracking device on the market at one point or another. Most had limited range and weak chirps to mark their location. Even worse, they were dependent on someone else having that tracker's app on their phone. None of these trackers really made my day, which is why I was so excited about Apple's AirTag announcement. A four-pack of AirTags ($99) showed up at my door today and I immediately set out to test its capabilities. Read on for a full hands-on review of AirTag.

The post Apple AirTag: A Hands-on Review appeared first on Rocket Yard.

Click here to view the article...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm definitely going to order some Air Tags for our car keys. The price of replacing one of those electronic car keys that does everything is ridiculous.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
They work very well. I put them on my keys and backpack, and the precise location is spot on.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks John. I'll probably order a 4 pack. It's only $89.00 with my US govt discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
And FYI, I got the Belkin keychains as they were only $11 and they work pretty well. The two pieces twist open and get the tag in and out and once the keyring is on it has no way to accidentally open.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I don't know whether this article from "Wired" is reliable, fanciful or scaremongering; but it might be worth a read??

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
The stalking is a reality and I'm not sure Apple's approach so far is going to be sufficient. Basically, if an Air Tag that is not yours is in your vicinity and not near the device it is electronically linked to for, I think, three days, you get a warning. I guess three days is a setting to allow for the random chance factor, but I think it's too long. Maybe 24 hours? I don't know. But three days, if that is in fact what Apple chose, is a lot of time for a stalker.

Reaction score
Can I ask? If I buy one in the uk. Will it work in new Zealand?

many thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can I ask? If I buy one in the uk. Will it work in new Zealand?

many thanks

According to what we know, it should work world wide. New Zealand has plenty of Apple devices among its population and plenty of Blue Tooth wireless access points.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The stalking is a reality and I'm not sure Apple's approach so far is going to be sufficient. Basically, if an Air Tag that is not yours is in your vicinity and not near the device it is electronically linked to for, I think, three days, you get a warning. I guess three days is a setting to allow for the random chance factor, but I think it's too long. Maybe 24 hours? I don't know. But three days, if that is in fact what Apple chose, is a lot of time for a stalker.

Stalkers are gonna stalk, AirTags or no AirTags. There are already plenty of devices out there they could be and are using now that are discrete. I do think though that with all the hoopla about the potential for this with AirTags, it will be more opportunistic. Maybe the choice of juveniles horsing around and such.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.