• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anyone have experience with camera systems using DVR recording?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I’m looking into getting a camera surveillance system for outside the home to record 24/7 using DVR and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with any. I’m looking at a Lorex system sold by Best Buy that gets great reviews for video quality, although their app for remote viewing isn’t held is such high regard. The cameras will be hardwired. I’ve been using some Arlos for a few months, but dealing with recharging those periodically, combined with their inability to record 24/7 unless connected to power and on a subscription has become a deal breaker, among other things. Yeah, I could get those Arlos on solar panels each or run USB cabling, but they just aren’t worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Intel Core i9/16GB Memory/500GB SSD/Radeon Pro 560X
So I think it depends on budget. I have been using Nest for a few years now. I am big on cloud recording so that way the house could burn to the ground (knocking on wood) and all of my footage is safe.

Nest cameras do record 24/7 in HD and have a really nice night vision with face recognition. Not to mention recently partnered with ADT which is another service I have, I am excited to see the integration.

If I was going to go with a wired on premise solution I would look at Ubiquiti. I have been using solutions from them for years and really like most of their products.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well Nest would be subject to the same misgivings I have about Arlo. I’m not worried about preserving footage if my house burns down. I looked at the UniFi system. VERY impressive and I would jump on that if I could justify the cost. Actually I could for just a couple cameras to get a zoom lens If need be. I may need a zoom lens for only one area I need to monitor. Overall I’m looking at up to 6 cameras for comprehensive coverage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
the same misgivings I have about Arlo.

My Nest cameras record 24/7 (audio and video) and are NOT battery powered, so I would say they do not have the same misgivings. I have been using Ubiquiti routers, switches and AP's for years now at home and at my work, they make some great stuff. I have not used the camera stuff but I am sure they are on par with everything else they make.

if I could justify the cost.

If I may ask, what is the budget?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Nest cameras record 24/7 (audio and video) and are NOT battery powered, so I would say they do not have the same misgivings. I have been using Ubiquiti routers, switches and AP's for years now at home and at my work, they make some great stuff. I have not used the camera stuff but I am sure they are on par with everything else they make.

Hmm... my bad. I thought they were more or less the same as Arlo, Eufy, etc. I'm not too keen about using Google gear for various reasons, to be honest. They have a bad habit of dropping support for a product when they "get bored" with it. I did like what I saw of the Ubiquiti line. The cameras I would have gone with were sold out though.

I wound up ordering the Lorex DVR system I was looking at. I would have preferred an NVR system like Ubiquiti's with better software support, but if their image quality is as good as it appears to be, this will do (I can keep it offline unless need be). I don't really need motion monitoring or alerts (I have Eufy doorbell cameras in place for that and can still continue with the Arlos I have if I feel the need). I don't want to go into great detail publicly, but there's a bad actor in our neighborhood and while I know who it is, what I know and what I can prove are two different things... so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They have a bad habit of dropping support for a product when they "get bored" with it.

Agreed on that, I am hoping they don't.

Glad to hear you decided on a product. Please let me know after you get setup on your thoughts. I am curious.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Glad to hear you decided on a product. Please let me know after you get setup on your thoughts. I am curious.

Will do. One reason I've soured on motion detection is the poor experience with the Arlo and Eufy cameras. They both will differentiate between human and animal, for example, but only during the day. At night, it's undifferentiated. So motion alerts become useless as cats and other stray animals cross my lawn, or even insects. I have one camera that kept getting set off by a bush swaying in the wind. Now, it is proving fine for my doorbells, mind you, but those zones are also very limited by design and need. With the Eufy cameras, I can define the activity monitoring zones. The Arlos only allow for it while plugged in.

I will say I am particularly happy with the Eufy doorbells. These are battery powered since I don't have cabling available to them. Since they record to a local homebase and not the cloud (cloud option is available though), the response time is supposed to be much faster compared to other systems that rely on the cloud. The image quality is very good with a "taller" aspect ratio compared to the Ring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Monterey; iPhone 12 128gb; iPad Mini 5, 64gb
I'm in the UK so what I have may not be available to you: Hikvision camera, DVR with 1T hard drive. Excellent pictures, 90 degree angle, 24-hour running (colour daytime, monochrome night). Remote viewing via iVMS. 8BD0E57A-AEFD-45E7-82B2-6ED66BAF1FD8_1_105_c.jpeg

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Got the system installed yesterday. This is the system in particular I have:

Right off the bat, I can say that the reviews about the image quality are spot on. The night vision in particular is AMAZING! It looks like day time, except in black and white. The distance easily covers my entire yard, across the street, and then some. Compared to the Arlos and the Eufys, it's not even a contest. This beats the unholy pants off of those. The frame rate is only 15 fps so the footage is choppy in comparison, but I expected that and it's ok. They have cameras with higher frame rates that are compatible with this DVR if that becomes an issue.

Software-wise... well firstly the DVR has to be hard-wired to a router (no wi-fi). The interface also requires a wired mouse (no bluetooth) and although it does take keyboard input, it only has one USB port. What I wound up doing to facilitate setting this up is plug a Logitech Unifying Receiver into the USB port that was paired to a keyboard and mouse that I have with my iMac in that same room. These devices can be paired to as many as 3 receivers and toggled between them, so I was able to just use those. Much easier than squatting with a wired mouse and using an on-screen keyboard to punch in passwords. The UI isn't what I would call "modern", but it's functional and fine. It even has a software firewall that you can turn on and configure. I think the complaints are largely overblown in my limited experience. The same goes for the iOS app. It serves its purpose well enough. My biggest complaint is the lack of an iPad version.

The software offers car and person detection, and can be configured per camera. It can also recognize specific faces, although I can't speak to how well that works at this time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I think the complaints are largely overblown in my limited experience. The same goes for the iOS app. It serves its purpose well enough. My biggest complaint is the lack of an iPad version.

Would these not work??? There seem to be iPad versions available:

With Lorex Cloud, you can:

• Enjoy easy setup and control of your system

• View live video from multiple cameras remotely

• Playback recorded video to review events

• Record videos or take snapshots directly from your iOS device

• Configure system settings and push notifications

• Enjoy professional-grade features

Compatible with select Lorex Security Systems and HD Active Deterrence solutions.

Or:

- Patrick
=======

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would these not work??? There seem to be iPad versions available:

Or:
=======

There definitely isn't an iPad version of Lorex Home. And Lorex Cloud isn't compatible with this particular system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There definitely isn't an iPad version of Lorex Home. And Lorex Cloud isn't compatible with this particular system.

Hmmm...??? My search shows it differently... and an iPad version of Lorex Home

App Store Preview
This app is available only on the App Store for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV.

Lorex Home 4+

LOREX TECHNOLOGY INC.
2.0 • 449 Ratings
Free

- Patrick
=======

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm...??? My search shows it differently... and an iPad version of Lorex Home

=======

If you'll look at the page there, screenshots are for iPhone and Apple TV. Not iPad. I can personally assure you, on my iPad, it's just the iPhone version with the option to blow it up 2X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you'll look at the page there, screenshots are for iPhone and Apple TV. Not iPad.

I'm sorry to have supplied false hope and information. It seems the preview provides a bit of misleading and miss information. My apologies.

Is it too late to consider a Hikvision setup??? Our Son-in-law Is a Hikvision sales rep for this area and some others which I understand their products are fully Apple/Mac supported.

- Patrick
=======

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry to have supplied false hope and information. It seems the preview provides a bit of misleading and miss information. My apologies.

Is it too late to consider a Hikvision setup??? Our Son-in-law Is a Hikvision sales rep for this area and some others which I understand their products are fully Apple/Mac supported.
=======

Well, yes, it is. The system was installed yesterday. My needs aren't great. I need 24/7 monitoring with a level of coverage and detail adequate to deal with a situation I'm contending with. This "should" do the trick.This system has a Mac viewer available also, although I'll probably throw it in a VM out of an abundance of precaution since the installer isn't signed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.