Anyone else had Adobe cancel your old DVD-based apps?

Reaction score
In 2013 I bought Adobe Creative Suite 6 from Amazon.com for $2,133.00 (and I have the order number and receipt to prove it). In the eight years since then I've always been able, whenever I changed computers, to either re-install, or (if already installed) re-activate the CS6 programs by typing in the serial number when prompted. I did this most recently last November when I changed computers.

Last week my Mac Pro died. Pushing the start-up button did nothing--it might as well have been a brick. The computer had been acting flaky on startup for the last couple of years, getting worse all the time, requiring multiple pushes and holds on the button toward the last, so I wasn't really surprised when it went dead. I went to Ebay and bought another Mac Pro just like it, and when it arrived here yesterday I moved the hard drives from my dead Mac into the new one and fired it up. Of course I expected CS6 to recognize that it was in a different computer and ask me for the registration number to activate it. That's never been a problem. I've done this before. However, this time, typing in the registration number accomplished nothing. The registration window wouldn't go beyond the sign-in screen.

So, I trashed all traces of Adobe apps from the Mac's hard drive, re-installed CS6 from the original DVDs, and once again tried to activate the software by typing in the registration number when prompted. Well, something happened this time--it went to an Adobe webpage that told me I have an unauthorized serial number and probably pirated software.

So, I went to Adobe.com and typed my problem into a box in their Support section. This led to an e-mail exchange with someone who seemed barely able to write English. I had to explain several times to this person what I'm trying to do, and he replied, in poorly written language, to tell me that Adobe does not support any software five years after the date it was purchased, nor does it allow re-registration of its DVD-based software anyway. However, he added, if indeed I had bought the software legitimately, I would be allowed to continue using it if I paid Adobe $500. For the $500, he said, Adobe would provide me with a new registration number and allow me to download a new copy of CS6 from their website.

I replied that I had been able as recently as a few months ago to activate my bought-and-paid-for copy of CS6, so what was different now? Without answering the question he gave me a phone number to call. I called the number and got someone on the other end who spoke such poor English, and spoke it so fast, that I couldn't understand anything he was saying. I got my wife on the phone, since she's pretty sharp at understanding fast talkers, but she couldn't understand him either. She finally told him to please slow down and speak distinctly. He asked her for my CS6 registration number, and she gave it to him. He then said that he would send me an e-mail about the matter and hung up. Sure enough, the e-mail came. It says "your case is closed."

If Adobe is no longer allowing registration of its DVD-based software, then how can those sellers on Ebay who are asking hundreds and even thousands of dollars for Adobe Creative Suite DVDs right now be doing that if no one can register and activate the software after buying it? Am I missing something?

Has anyone else here had a similar experience with Adobe, and if so, what did you do about it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I think the problem is rooted in this part:

I had been able as recently as a few months ago to activate my bought-and-paid-for copy of CS6...

Most likely, repeated activation requests flagged the registration number as possibly pirated. I realize this doesn't help you, but that's "likely" what led to this. As for what to do? Try and try again... there's really nothing else to do. They have a community forum... I would start there since the people involved there certainly would have more experience dealing with Adobe and this problem in particular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
No, you are not alone. I have had the same issue. At work we purchased in the box DVD copies with licenses for Adobe CS6. One day my copy of Premiere Pro "phoned home" and I was told I had a pirated copy. I called Adobe, offered to send them the information proving we had purchased it, read the license number to them. They had zero sympathy and basically told me I was lying. We had 4 computer - two macs and two windows machines all running CS6. It took a bit but they all developed the issue.

What I have decided was Adobe wants to push everyone to use their Creative Cloud subscription service. We ended up having to buy two subscriptions. One subscription can be used on two machines. It is expensive and I resent what they have done but what can you do. The one other thing that really bothered me is they dropped Encore, the dvd burning app. They decided no one uses DVD's anymore so they did away with it. I had to switch to another app ( can't remember it's name) that is not near as nice. Granted I don't burn hardly any DVD's anymore but sometimes I need to and it was a nice app.

I would not touch a copy of Adobe CS6 on eBay. If you need something to try look at DaVinci. I believe it still has a free version. DaVinci Resolve 17 | Blackmagic Design

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It is expensive and I resent what they have done but what can you do.
I shifted over to Affinity Photo. Opens Photoshop files just fine, works just like it. You might look at that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I shifted over to Affinity Photo. Opens Photoshop files just fine, works just like it. You might look at that.

Jake - I have Affinity Photo and it is not bad.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
+1 for Affinity. Love it. And - relatively - it is really inexpensive.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay truth here.... I got the Affinity whole package free. I belong to a local Mac club and we have a drawing each meeting for give-aways. I picked up all the Affinity apps there so I have no clue what it cost.

One big plus - once you buy it that's it - you get updates, you can download it from them if you loose the dmg file, plus they keep your license key. Nice company to work with.

I have played with Affinity Photos and it has tons of cool features but, I have used Photoshop for so many years I can operate it in my sleep. (Which may explain some things..hum..).

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.