Anyone else getting screen scratch / mark problems with their MacBook Pro M1?

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am currently trying to decide whether to keep my MacBook Pro M1. I noticed the anti-glare coating was scratched after only 2 days and then another time later on the same week. The problem is that the laptop has only been in my home with minimal use. Nothing hit or scratched the screen and every time I closed the laptop I made sure the keyboard was free of debris first. So the fact that I had this problem disturbed me a little. If I was to take this particular laptop with me traveling or commuting regularly, the screen would become ruined fast.

Apple are currently sending me another unit because they say that what is happening to mine is not normal, that it shouldn't damage like that. However I thought I'd do my own research around the internet to see if others are having the issue anyway. If you have had this issue with your MacBook Pro M1 or Air M1 then please post below. I know there are a lot of other reports about previous models so lets keep this one relevant to this first gen of M1 laptops.

Photos of the scratches:
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 13.31.12.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-26 at 22.52.57.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The only time I've heard of the anti-glare coating coming off any Mac screen is when the owner cleaned the screen with strong liquids such as alcohol.

There are lots of threads regarding this in several other forums. The problem is not limited to the M1 machines.

Your photos do not appear to be scratches but rather the anti-glare coating flaking off. Could very well be a manufacturing defect. And I assume Apple agrees with you which is why they're sending a replacement.

We have several of our members who own M1 machines but so far they have not reported a problem with the anti-glare coating.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, that's good to know. I can't personally find any reports of the screen doing this with other people, even on 3 different Amazon websites (between 4000 - 5000 different comments). Yes Apple suggested replacing it quite quickly actually so perhaps it is just a defect. No liquids touched the screen, not even water.

I found little blue flakes this evening around my desk and also a tiny blue flake on the Macbook's keyboard when I opened it. I can't guarantee that the blue flakes are from the laptop but I also don't know what else it could be from. The problem is the blue flakes don't really correspond with the shape of the scratches in the images I posted above. Is that anti glare coating known to come off in blue flakes when defective? I don't mean just on this laptop but any device.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is that anti glare coating known to come off in blue flakes when defective? I don't mean just on this laptop but any device.

Most of the reports of this occurring did not specify, only that the anti-glare coating was coming off. However, the blue flakes do make sense as that seems to be the lightened color for anti-glare that Apple uses on all its devices.

The other Mac forums I was referring to are not Amazon. Amazon contains responses from users of all the products they sell. There are other forums that are composed of a membership group similar to ours here.

To be honest, I have never seen the amount of flaking and spotting of the anti-glare coating such as your machine displays. Hopefully your replacement machine will be perfect.

OP
S
Reaction score
Most of the reports of this occurring did not specify, only that the anti-glare coating was coming off. However, the blue flakes do make sense as that seems to be the lightened color for anti-glare that Apple uses on all its devices.

The other Mac forums I was referring to are not Amazon. Amazon contains responses from users of all the products they sell. There are other forums that are composed of a membership group similar to ours here.

To be honest, I have never seen the amount of flaking and spotting of the anti-glare coating such as your machine displays. Hopefully your replacement machine will be perfect.

That's relieving to know, thank you.

Reaction score
I realize this is an old discussion but if the OP is around, what was the outcome? After Apple replaced the MacBook, did it happen again?

I bought an M1 MacBook Air on clearance four months ago. Seemingly overnight the same sort of bluish-discoloration occurred on the surface of the display. I Googled it and this discussion popped up.

Some of the prior comments attribute this to cleaning with alcohol. However, during COVID-19 people were asking Apple if they could disinfect their devices, and Apple's cleaning doc actually does say one can use sanitizer as long as it doesn't contain bleach. (Up to 70% alcohol is OK. See: How to clean your Apple products.)

I have always used the Zeiss lens wipes on my devices with no ill effect. (Designed to go on eyeglass lenses many of which are coated.) I have found them useful for cleaning tablets, smartphones, flat-screen TVs, older MacBooks, multiple iMacs and even direct contact on a digital camera sensor to solve the fact that I was getting dirt "orbs" in my photos — all with no ill effects.).

I was prepared to blame this on the fact that I placed an ultra-thin silicone keyboard cover over my keyboard. (I bought a case for the MacBook and it came with it. Didn't think anything of it until this happened. Now I appreciate in reading up on the issue that apparently keyboard covers aren't recommended either — even if one cleans the top of the keyboard cover to make sure there is nothing present that could scratch. Something to do with not having enough clearance when the lid closes.)

At any rate, the keyboard cover theory fell apart when I noticed that the 3" area of bluish-discoloration in the surface of the screen is over the palm-rest/trackpad (not aligned with the keyboard when the lid closes).

My screen doesn't appear to have any physical scratches. I can't see anything sloughing off, either. Also, the bluish discoloration did not appear gradually but seemed to show up overnight about a week ago. (Looks almost like there may have been impurities in the antiglare coating and that it has oxidized.)

Given that the M1 is three years old now, does anybody know if Apple ever issued any kind of program to address this issue? (Another issue I have read about with the MacBook M1s is apparently the screens have a way of just spontaneously cracking. Knock on wood that this hasn't happened, but in researching this mysterious bluish mark on my display, I also came across reports of screens breaking without any accident damage to explain it.)

Knowing what I know now, I am having some buyer's remorse that I bought a first-generation M1. (For example, I have also noticed that the WiFi antenna is the weakest I have ever seen in an Apple device. If I close too many doors between myself and my wireless router, I have almost no bars, meanwhile an iMac or iPad in the same room has full strength WiFi connectivity. (I'm thinking that this is why my M1 battery life started off great but if I spend too much time surfing the web, I lose about 25% of the advertised battery life. Even though I am not getting WiFi drops, my guess is that it consumes too much energy trying to maintain a mediocre connection depending on where I am in my house.)

I have a Genius Bar appointment next week. The question is, do I stick to the screen issue — or should I push for them to replace my MacBook Air because the WiFi and the battery life seem to be underperforming as well? (Not sure if replacing the MacBook would address this, however, if it's pretty much the consensus that WiFi performance isn't an M1 strong point. Also kind of wary of having Apple replace an M1, given the possibility of ending up with a refurb that has had years of prior use vs. just a few months worth.)

Second and final question, can anybody recommend anything that is gentler than the Zeiss lens wipes? (My problem is that every once in awhile I sneeze and those marks don't come off with a dry microfiber cloth.)

Thanks for reading! Appreciate any tips :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Given that the M1 is three years old now, does anybody know if Apple ever issued any kind of program to address this issue?
It doesn't look like there is a recall for this issue yet.

Apple probably won't replace the MBP right now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Knowing what I know now, I am having some buyer's remorse that I bought a first-generation M1. (For example, I have also noticed that the WiFi antenna is the weakest I have ever seen in an Apple device. If I close too many doors between myself and my wireless router, I have almost no bars, meanwhile an iMac or iPad in the same room has full strength WiFi connectivity. (I'm thinking that this is why my M1 battery life started off great but if I spend too much time surfing the web, I lose about 25% of the advertised battery life. Even though I am not getting WiFi drops, my guess is that it consumes too much energy trying to maintain a mediocre connection depending on where I am in my house.)
WiFi is very sensitive to placement, even a couple of inches can make a huge difference. I have a 16" MBP, M1 Pro, and I've seen no issues with WiFi at all. Try moving it a few inches to see if the WiFI signal canges. Also, WiFi is susceptible to interference from other devices in the same frequency band, including other WiFi devices, BT devices and other consumer radio devices (remote controls, cordless landlines, etc.). So try moving some of them to different locations to see if the WiFi status where your MBP is changes.

As for Apple, I would think you might have a better time with the vendor who sold you this Mac. But, to get the best result with the Apple Store, I would suggest being very polite and calmly explain the issue to them. Apple used to give local stores some room to make their own decisions, although that has tightened up recently. But being the "angry customer" never works.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have an M1 14" MBP with no screen problems, I clean mine with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth as I have with all my MacBooks, but I did have exactly your problem with a 2015 MBP years ago and Apple replaced it just as they have offered to do with yours. I had no other problems with the screen after that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have an M1 MBP 14" bought when they first were released. I have none of the issues you are showing. I also use Zeiss wipes to occasionally clean the screen and have had no issues. WiFi is great too. I do not use a keyboard cover although I did on my 2017 given the issues that model had with the butterfly keys. I also do not use nor have I ever used a screen protector - just fyi.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
I have an M1 14" MBP with no screen problems, I clean mine with a slightly dampened microfibre cloth as I have with all my MacBooks, but I did have exactly your problem with a 2015 MBP years ago and Apple replaced it just as they have offered to do with yours. I had no other problems with the screen after that.

The 2012 - 2015 MBPr did long ago have an Apple quality program applied covering the display's screen for delamination, now expired. Some would still suffer the same after replacement. There's no quality program for the M1 and newer.

Reaction score
I just use one of those Kensington, privacy screen protectors. My MBP M3 Max is just a few days old. But my outgoing MBP intel 3 years old, had one of these protectors on from day one, and it didnt have a single scratch, or mark on it when I gave it to my wife today. A little expensive at £70, but worth it. I use a keyboard protector as well, and a clam shell case. Maybe a little OCD, but I do like to keep my Macs looking pristine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.