• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Anybody shops at Best Buy? Has their service been getting worse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
I personally haven't noticed a decline in customer service at any of the many Best Buys in the Houston area. In fact, they're so helpful, it's often-times annoying. They seize upon you like vultures offering their help.

Unfortunately, Best Buy, where I used to buy all my movies and computer junk, seems to be slowly drifting towards being the worst buy. I've noticed that their selection of items is going down, while the cost of them is going up.

I've been going to wal-mart more and more...and I freaking hate wal mart. Talk about moron employees with no customer service skills.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I've never had any issues with Best Buy sales persons in Illinois, Michigan or Minnesota. However, I will add that I rarely go there unless: I already researched what I want, I've called ahead to confirm it's in stock, and I saw the item on sale in a flier. Basically, I run in and back out as fast as possible, and no one ever seems to hassle me. Actually, the idiot shoppers meandering around trying to buy things they didn't bother researching first are more of a hassle than any BB employee I've come across recently.

My only return experience was with a Apple MacBook Air external Superdrive I had purchased to use on a "modified" Dell Mini 9. It didn't work on the Mini 9 and they accepted my return several days later after I had opened it, tested it, and packaged it back up again. No issues.

I generally don't buy warranties from Big Box stores, so I can't comment there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Another good thing about Bestbuy if you call ahead for an item they will hold it for you behind the counter for a couple of hours. They did it for me the other night when I picked up a shuffle, they only had one manly color left Blue and my only other option was pink the girl working the phones was kind enough to hold it for me. But like XJ says I was in and out in a few minutes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I shop the same way, and I love customers who shop like me. Anyway, when we inform you the warranty is invalid, it's never because it's what we're told to say first. 8 times out of 10, I get to give people the good news that their repair is covered under warranty, and the bad news is that to replace the motherboard through our service center can take between 1 and a half to 3 and a half weeks. It's usually closer to the front end, but I hate having to tell people they're going to be without their machine. I know how much that would impact my life.

If people have the benefit of our protection plan, all the better. I think that maybe a lot of sales associates gloss over it, but it should be stressed that the geek squad black tie protection covers hardware only. This does not cover viruses. That you can get coverage for under a separate "Vi-Spy" plan. Obviously, that part so much doesn't apply to this community, but that is the main reason that I have to tell people that their repair isn't covered.

The second leading cause of a repair not being covered when you thought it would be? Accidental damage. "My display is cracked, but I have a warranty." "Unfortunately, that warranty doesn't include accidental damage coverage, and a cracked LCD is virtually always accidental damage."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 Macbook Pro i5 2.3 GHZ, 4GB, 10.10.4
I've never had a problem with Best Buy workers themselves; I just get annoyed with them. When I'm out in town, I usually stop by Best Buy to kill time and just look around. I don't think I ever go a single minute without someone "Can I help you find something?" "Any questions?" I know, that's their job they have to do. It just gets annoying after a couple minutes.

Reaction score
In my experience, I've found the best buy employees extremely helpful & wanting to make a sale

Reaction score
It's a mixed bag in my opinion. One day you go there, and everybody is pretty good at helping you, not being rude etc. Another day you go in there, and it's like things went below.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.