Any good virus protection for iMac?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
A Windows virus can't hibernate and then suddenly begin working to infect other machines from a Mac. It's code works in Windows - it does not work in OS X. It cannot run it's code in OS X. Any Windows self propagating code will be able to do nothing from within OS X.

Any virus or malware that can spread from Windows machine to Windows machine that (you know) all have antivrus software running on them is because the antivirus software is ineffective against that particular piece of mischievous code. Having an antivirus running on your Mac is not going to protect those Windows users from that code until the antivrus companies come out with the definitions first to recognize it and then to deal with it - whether that AV software is running on your Mac or on their PC.

About the only way I can see passing something from your Mac to a Windows user is by you forwarding some piece of flaky/junk email (or even from friends with jokes, videos, etc. in them) you have gotten that should have been deleted instead of passing it on in to begin with.

Perhaps passing an infected MS document that a Window user sent to you (and their AV didn't find it) and you pass it along (your AV probably won't find it either) to someone else.

And that's the typical reason the ones that want your money are going to give.
Send them an email and ask them how you could pass a Windows virus from OS X on to your Windows using friends.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Retina, 2.7 GHz quad core i7, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM, 512GB flash...
Well, IF something were to happen on that network, and there were an investigation, and my laptop didn't have AV protection, I'm sure linking to this thread will not help me much. I would be in deep.... I hope you understand that and not are totally blinded of your probable truth. It's just bizniz and how it works.

You probably make valid points but there is no way I can risk that kind of heat to save 50 EUR. Being able to say "yes, I have AV protection" will DEFINITELY keep me in the clear no matter the reason of security breach. Oh...and then there is the part where you could be wrong and I would also be protected if that even was a possibility ;P

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, In a corporate/school setting, gotta have it in today's world - why I gave you my top picks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.