Any Camino users here?

S

slughead

I've been using Camino for years and luv it :) Currently on a DP 450/2GB/X.4.7.....

It does what I need it to do notta problemo :D

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
kaidomac said:
Does The Unofficial Apple Weblog slow down Camino for anyone else?

http://www.tuaw.com/

Try opening TUAW's website and then opening another tab and browsing within that. I get some serious slowdowns on my machine (2ghz Core Duo/2gb ram/7200rpm hard drive running 10.4.7). Anyone else get that?

In Camino now with that url open in one Tab and Mac Forums in the other and both tabs are fast. This is not an Intel Mac though. I will try it later on my Core Duo Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
kaidomac said:
I finally gave Camino a shot after a few recommendations by other Mac users...and I really like it! I'm a huge Firefox fan, but Camino feels SO much faster on my Intel Mini, plus I like some of the little things about it better - nicer GUI buttons, kill button is on the tab instead of all the way on the right, folders within the bookmark toolbar folder, etc.

One question I have is about security. I know that Firefox is pretty secure and it seems that Camino is too, especially since it's part of the Mozilla Foundation. Is is safe enough to use as my default browser? What I don't understand is why there is both a Firefox and a Camino - from the same foundation!

Anyway, if you haven't tried Camino out and you are a Firefox user or aren't satisfied with Safari, give it a shot. Here's the link:

http://www.caminobrowser.org/

The reason there is both a Firefox and a Camino is because Firefox supports extensions and Camino does not. It's also because Firefox's developers pride it on being cross-platform for the sake of it. Not to mention, Firefox just gets a lot more buzz than Camino does, so it's hard for Camino to gain ground. It's an amazing browser, though; I've been using it since my day one on Mac. So for those who need/want a lot of features, Firefox is simply the winner. For those who think a browser is a browser, and care about aesthetics, I cannot see any reason to use Firefox over Camino.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.