And for the 8th mouse button...

OP
E

Echo_

johnnyluu said:
Put it next to the G5 and it looks completely out of place. The mac mouse suits the iMac, eMac and iBook with all intents and purposes. Design wise, white plastic goes with white plastic. Also, You're not really going to do anything with those machines that would really necessitate a multi button mouse.

Shift over to a Power Mac and it's an entirely different story. If you've got a G5 and don't need a multi button mouse then you've bought yourself a G5 for the wrong reasons.

Anyone who claims they are just as productive using Final Cut Pro, After Effects, Photoshop and/or Maya using the apple mouse than someone using more than one button is lying...unless they have 10 fingers on their left hand (assuming that they are right handed of course!)

It's just common sense. Your right hand moving the mouse and being able to click only one button isn't optimising what you have available. There are at least three digits on your mouse hand not doing anything, and as pretty as the mac mouse is, that just isn't efficient.

One last point, most first person shooters are designed to be used with, at least, a two button mouse.

But, of course, all the above is only my own personal opinion! ^_^

why wouldnt you need a scroll or a back and forward button on an ibook, emac, imac. the imac is more powerful than the powerbook and yet you say you wouldnt do anything that would need a mutlibutton mouse

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
I have a five button mouse on my pc and I use all five buttons. On the mac I use a three button and, once again, I use all the buttons.

I'd go nuts with a scoll wheel!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
I just use the trackpad on my powerbook. Especially since the new ones have the dual finger scrolling. I was #3(?) on the list of options, since that was what i used the mouse for on my old PC.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

2 buttons and a scroller - after all this is a civilized world !!

I also like the 2 finger scrolling on my powerbook

OP
S

speedydave

I wouldn't mind the one button mouse if it had a scroll wheel. That's one thing I like about the PowerBooks - you can scroll using the trackpad.

When I'm using a friend's machine that has more than two or three buttons, I do use them (mainly the forward/back buttons). I don't know what I'd do with 8+ buttons though.

OP
C

Cloudane

Hehe nice to see this thread still chugging away :)

Only the latest Powerbooks have the scroll feature - much to the pity of those of us who bought them half a year before the new generation!

Nowadays I use the middle button for exposé, with modifier keys for the other exposé features and dashboard. I'd probably just put them on separate buttons with a multi button mouse.

Still can't beat the elegance of Apple's stock 1-button mouse though, IMO.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For me I can use the Mac with the One button mouse just fine, using CTRL Click to get to the Right click features. I do sometimes miss the scroll wheel though for the Internet mostly but I can get along without it just fine if I have to. I do use a Logitech Trackman Marble Wheel on my Mini. I am so used to the way it works, I feel a lot more confortable with it than any mouse. On some of my Macs though I just use the One button and I can use it just as easily as any 2-3 button optical mouse. Ball mice I just can't take anymore since now with all the Opticals, there is no reason to have to use a Ball Mouse. I wish someday Apple will make a Optical with just a Scroll Wheel added somehow without ruining the looks of it. It looks very cool as others have said already.

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

Cloudane said:
Hehe nice to see this thread still chugging away :)

Only the latest Powerbooks have the scroll feature - much to the pity of those of us who bought them half a year before the new generation!

Nowadays I use the middle button for exposé, with modifier keys for the other exposé features and dashboard. I'd probably just put them on separate buttons with a multi button mouse.

Still can't beat the elegance of Apple's stock 1-button mouse though, IMO.

Yes the scroll feature was one of the things that swayed me from the iBooks when I was looking ---- and most likely this is really only a HW driver issue that could be applied to past and existing products .... but its also a differation feature ($$)

OP
S

swanny338

I use a wacom tablet, for normal everday stuff I use the mouse that came with it but for photoshop, illustrator and stuff like that, I normally use the pen

OP
S

speedydave

I just got home from Frys with my new Logitech LX700 cordless duo, and so far I've been using all 5 buttons on the mouse (right click, left click, application switch, back and forward, plus the scroll wheel), though I doubt I'm ever going to use all of the shortcut buttons on the keyboard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
One button works fine for me... its just not having scroll that bites... I love the 2 finger scroll function on my PB... it just seems like Apple should have done something about the scroll on their actual one button mouse. I understand the "simplicity" thing... but I'm sure they could come up with something that doesn't sacrifice the "cool factor"

One thing that really does drive me nuts about the one-button mouse is how easy it is to click by simple picking the mouse up a little while moving it... it is particularly frustrating when bringing already running programs up from the dock... I am constantly opening programs by accident and having to wait for them to open/close to get back to work.

OP
M

mangoSharingan

I use a Logitech MX310 with my iBook and it's really useful. Has:
1. Left-click
2. Right-click
3. Scroll wheel
4. Scroll wheel click, which I set to open URL in new tab in Firefox
5. Back click, useful for Firefox and Finder
6. Forward click, again useful for Firefox and Finder
7. Middle special click, which I set to Expose

Unfortunately, no 8th button!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
i use the one thing that M$ made properly the 5 button intellimouse :p

OP
E

Ex_PC_Puke

I wish apple would add a 'virtual' 2nd mouse button on the powerbooks - if you have 2 fingers on the mouse pad and press the button - should act like a right cliick showing properties -- s/be just a HW driver change :dummy:

Reaction score
I thought it would be a pain to only have one button, but I've found that you should really only need one anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.