An important note about upgrading to Mojave!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
No, not necessary Bob. The mobile version of our forum software is different from the normal browser version. Nick and one other person have been working with our forum software and will get things sorted out in the future. For now, let's be thankful that we have your Avatar and Jake's working as they should. Later on we will worry about applying fixes to the mobile version.
Ok, thanks chscag.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Malwarebytes now available for Mojave.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Rod, just to be certain, you have upgraded to Mojave (not beta) and cloned to a CCC drive formatted HFS+ and booted Mojave (not beta) from that drive? Is that right? Just want to be absolutely certain about that before moving on.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Further to the above, dont forget all this has already happened with High Sierra so Mojave is no different. See this article from Bombich June 2017;
Will CCC work with Apple's new filesystem, APFS?

"The current version of CCC 4 already works with APFS insofar as CCC can copy files to and from that filesystem. The current version can also make bootable backups from an APFS startup disk to an HFS+ formatted destination volume – we've already tested that, and in the little bit of testing that we've done so far, that works great. The current feature set of CCC 4 will be qualified against High Sierra – creating bootable HFS+-based backups and working with CoreStorage encrypted backups will be qualified and functional (barring any OS bugs) and we aim to complete that by the time Apple ships High Sierra in the Fall.

Creating a bootable APFS volume, however, is brand-new territory. The semantics of starting a Mac from an APFS volume are completely different from those of an HFS+ volume. We have established a procedure to create an APFS startup volume, though, and we've even created a proof-of-concept bootable APFS clone. What lies ahead is a massive amount of engineering work to build support for these new procedures into CCC. APFS encryption is also handled quite differently from CoreStorage encryption, so we have a lot of work to do in regard to building in support for automatically unlocking and mounting APFS encrypted backup volumes. We're aiming to offer new functionality for creating APFS bootable (and optionally encrypted) backups by the time Apple ships macOS High Sierra in the Fall."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rod, I know all that, and have read all that, but the question is that Charlie said
Mojave will not boot from HFS+
and nothing in what you quoted says anything to contradict that. All the stuff about HS was fine, but Apple has made changes in Mojave and HFS+ and from Charlie's statement, one of them is that Mojave won't boot from an HFS+ drive. One cannot accept Charlie's statement and say "Mojave is no different." It either is, or isn't different, and will or won't work. So, again, have you actually booted a non-beta version of Mojave from an external, HFS+ formatted drive? Does Bombich say it can be done, definitively? I didn't find that on their website anywhere I could see.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Jake:

I'm about to test that now. I've made a clone of my Mojave installation with CCC on an external drive formatted to HFS+ to see if it will work. Will get back to you when I find out.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Jake:

I just attempted to boot my HFS+ external volume created with CCC. Although it booted (took forever) there were errors and things were not working right. No sound and some other errors.

My advice: Convert your CCC external hard drives to APFS before using them to clone Mojave. Note... I did not have any problem with High Sierra, but Mojave is a horse of a different color!

I'm going to clone Mojave to my APFS CCC volume now to see how it goes. Will let you know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Charlie. That was what I was concerned about. Good backup, but not a bootable clone. I'll do the APFS-thing on the external and upgrade.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Jake:

Just completed booting with the APFS clone made with CCC. Booted normally and everything working the way it's supposed to. My advice: If you are going to continue using CCC with Mojave, reformat your external drives to APFS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In progress as we speak, Charlie. I want my last HS backup on APFS, will then install Mojave with the backup drive disconnected for a day or two. What can you say about Time Machine? Should I start a new TM "thread" or will Mojave just add to the TM backups I already have?

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What can you say about Time Machine? Should I start a new TM "thread" or will Mojave just add to the TM backups I already have?

I haven't started to address Time Machine. My Time Machine external drive is formatted to HFS+. From what I've read about Time Machine and Mojave, it appears that for now any Time Machine external drive used should remain as HFS+. If I hear anything more about that, I'll post on to this thread.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacInWin, no I am still downloading the GS version of Mojave so I have only tested the beta. Looks like Charlie has it covered though.
Charlie are you using a SSD type external HD or a spinner? I seem to recall that Bombich advised not to convert spinners to APFS.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All my external hard drives are spinners for the time being. I do have a Samsung T5 on order which should be arriving soon.

Note that Mojave is different. Mike Bombich was referring to High Sierra at the time he advised keeping external drives formatted to HFS+. Well, that clearly does not work any longer with Mojave. I've tested it both ways and unless you wish to take chances with your backup data, I strongly advise reformatting your CCC backup drive to APFS. It's easy enough to do.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Charlie, I'll reformat prior to my next CCC backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I wrote about the CCC issue to Bombich and asked:-

Will previous backups still be accessible/usable, or should I start from scratch again, and is it necessary to change the format of the backup drive?

Mike replied:-

Hi Peter,

Your backups will be unaffected by the change. You don't have to do anything to your backup disk:

I'll have to do some tests to set my mind at rest.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, notwithstanding what Bombich may have said, I formatted my CCC target drive to APFS (it's an SSD in an enclosure, so it makes sense to do that anyway), then created a new CCC clone of my HS system before installing Mojave. Now on Mojave, will wait a day or so to see if I'm committed to it, then will redo a clean CCC clone to that APFS drive. From Charlie's experiment, I just don't think Mojave works well trying to boot from HFS+. Might work, but it's too important for me to risk and it's just a small hassle to reformat the backup drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
My backup drive is a spinner so APFS wasn't an option when it came to formatting it. I have formatted it MacOs Extended (Journalled) GUID Partiton Map and carried out a full back up of my APFS Mojave Drive, which is a Fusion Drive. Looking at that drive in Disk Utilty it appears different from before. It shows as Fusion Drive containing a Container 2 Disk Drive which contains the Macintosh HD. All are APFS although, obviously part of it is a spinner.

The backup didn't take too long to boot and everything seems ok as far as I can see including sound etc.

Edit
I just rebooted and went to erase the test backup disk I had used and noticed that it now gives additional formatting choices. APFS, APFS (Encrypted), APFS (Case sensitive) and APFS (Case sensitive, encrypted).

Now where to go?

Another Edit
Formatted it APFS and it looks as though it creates a VM and puts the drive inside that and both are APFS.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Complicated, isn’t it? Or is it just me? Probably me.

Ian

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Something important to note about CCC and Mojave:

You must give CCC permission in order for it to work correctly with Mojave. CCC will inform you that it needs that permission before it can properly copy all files.

The fact that I didn't (at first) give CCC permission - probably overlooked it - may have been the reason that it did not properly create a backup and the subsequent boot cycle was flawed. That's just my take on it but I would be interested in what others are experiencing?

According to member "pine man", the backup of his Fusion drive was okay and booted properly.

One thing that I have observed: My backups are much faster since I reformatted my external spinner drives to APFS. A total backup which took 30 minutes to complete, now finishes in around 23 minutes. That's a saving of 7 minutes.

I'm also going to change my backup drive to a new Samsung T5 SSD which has a Thunderbolt 3/USB-c port. Should make the backup much faster. I'll report results later on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.